Heatwave genetics

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mill Iron A

AJ
...."I'm not angry and I don't care what the show ring does....that is a fact. It is also a fact that there there is a huge gap between the beef industry and show ring industry. The two products are getting so far apart. Show cattle people don't like to hear this stuff and thats not my problem. I agree let the show cattle do there thing and let the beef industry do something else. But they are barely connected to each other at this time. Lethal genetic defects,c-sections.....150# calves.......drugs and products to cover up structural problems. I was just pointing out a fact. I'm not saying the show ring is bad..........but you would have to lie to yourself to claim that the show ring has merit in the beef industry any more besides structural correctness issues or the basic femine or masculine evaluations......"

Actually you should be very specific when making the above statement.  I would argue the opposite in the purebred industry.  So many "real world" purebred breeders don't even know what a sound one looks like.  You criticize the show industry for not being functional and yet you have openly admitted that you don't even pay attention to feet?  Let me guess... a real cattleman like you could probably tell me which bulls to breed to because of their epd's? oh and such and such bull has a really good igenity profile?  Sure epds should be used as a reference but a real world cattleman looks at the cattle, knows how to truly evaluate cattle, and does not begrudge people for making money.  Who cares if they have big bw's, don't milk, etc.  If somebody is making money raising those cattle then great.  That's money that comes into the cattle industry that would have been blown on horse racing or big boats.  We could use all the money we can get so that more people starting out can make it. Don't preach about practicality when your not even playing with a full deck.

TMC20

Also would like to add to the above we raise show cattle and have had a lot of success with selling our bulls to local cattlemen who have had no complaints with how the bulls they have bought from us have produced for them.  Also have had success with one of our donors who is heatwaves mother terry bred to meyer

heatherleblanc

DakotaCow said:
knabe said:
heatwave was polled after he was dehorned.

So does that mean my horse is a unicorn that has been dehorned? I wouldnt call a bull polled if he was dehorned. Just sayin.

Well I don't know about your horse, but mine definetly is a polled unicorn!

aj

I have seen some "knothead" horses.......if you feel their heads.......you can tell where they were dehorned.......possibly a equine antiqious deal.....similar to the bison antiqious species.