• nothing personal

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • only agricultural related

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • get out the shrink!

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

justme

aj, I don't think anyone asked DL and others to quit talking about PHA and TH.  I just think you attract more bees with honey.  There for a while it seemed like if you mentioned any cattle with a possible link to PHA or TH you were attacked.  I for one have a couple that could be carriers (3 to be exact) and haven't had the chance to test them.  Probably won't.  I treat them as carriers.  I'll test the offspring of those that will be going as breeding animals at sales.  I had some questions on some animals but I for one just didn't want it blown out of proportion.  If I wanted a sermon I'd go to church.  On here I look for help and advice.

I try real hard not to criticize on these boards.  I do offer opinions, and love to hear others opinions.  I just think it was in bad taste to bash this board on another, then come on here after they said such stuff.

clipperlice

This board is supposed to be for everybody.  Nobody should feel like there are ideas that can not be discussed.  Sometimes we are afraid to ask pha or th questions because we know we will get a lecture.

OH Breeder

Doc said:
I'm like alot of the others & like it the way it is. I feel more comfortable asking ? on this board , than the others. I'm also very honored to have met several people from this board in person & they are the same in person as on here. (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

Have to agree with Doc on that one. Have met some really great folks on here. I am the youngest of a very large family. I have played mediator many a time. Like a large family, we are all different in our approach and how we might see things. Thats okay. I appreciate the cointributions made by all.

aj

Iv'e thought about and it is always the women that are fighting and causing trouble on this board! ;D

red

AJ- i have no problem w/ anyone saying anything they want to about the board. But when someone singles out a person for what they've posted that's when I've have a problem. I agree that we have gained a great deal of knowledge from the PHA/TH patrol. We wouldn't be were we are today without their persistance. But not everything has to go back to defects.

I still believe that you can approach topics w/ tact & give information out w/ a little understanding. One doesn't always have to be right or have the last word. I want everyone to feel free to express their veiws here & dispite what have been told I'm not a bully & welcome any different opinions.

I just wanted to see where everyone stood. If there was a clear cut majority on way or the other, we'd either make changes or keep the board how it is. I still am a believer that you juest read what interests you.

AJ- you're a true gem!

Red

SKF

I enjoy reading everything on this board cattle realted or not. So don't change a thing!!!!!!!!!!

ShowmanQ

DL said:
my original goal was to help inform people about TH and PHA - we did that. I don't think the board always has to talk cattle, but  I find all the personal angst boring - so I won't read it - just way too much information - if you all want to share you maladies, your diseases, your headaches, your personal problems and your issues with your kids with the entire world more power to you, it is of absolutely no interest to me. If I was a kid and my mother was talking about me on a cattle board I would be appalled - but again, JMO so please carry on as you like - it is irrelevant to me

Everyone realizes the TH/PHA thing is your cup of tea, but maybe (just as you dont like hearing about personal issues) not everyone likes hearing about genetic defects all the time. People have the right to pick and choose which topics they read, however you cant seem to start a topic about anything without having someone put some genetic defect stuff in it. Not attacking you at all, just stating my opinion. We raise shorthorn cattle and enjoy learning about TH/PHA, but enough is enough. I am sure a moderator would bump a general posting to the top of the page as a reference place for all genetic defect discussion if thats something of enough peoples interest. Just a thought.

justintime

I am getting in here a little late, but like many others have said.... I like this board JUST AS IT IS NOW. That being said, that does not mean that I find every topic interesting, but I fully imagine that some things that interest me are of no interest  to others. Personally, I like the fact that more is " talked" about on this board than just cows. I think most of us on here would agree that the cattle business is a people business. Cattle people usually do business with people they like... and that is why some family operations have been fortunate to have better sales than some others do... it is simply because they are good people who offer a good product in an honest, open manner and they actually care that their cattle work for the new buyer.

I am amazed at what I have learned since I came to this site. And although I have not met many on here in person, I feel like I know  many of you. It is kinda like meeting people from the inside out. You get to see how they think,and get to see a glimpse of what makes each one on here tick.

I like the fact that we get to know more about each other on here.... fully respecting the fact that this is still the internet and we all need to be a little careful in what personal info. we share on this site... or any other site, for the basic reason that there are bottom dwelling low lifes who thrive on searching the internet for personl info, so they can try to scam each of us in some way. I do not know of any such cases on this site, but i have heard of cases from other sites like Facebook, etc.

I think the fact that we still have many new members, should tell everyone that something good is happening here. In recent weeks, i have had several tell me that they come to SP on a regular basis, yet I know many have never posted on here... at least not yet.  As the old saying goes..." if it ain't broke... don't fix it"

I like the fact that we can respectfully disagree on certain topics ... and hopefully we become more open minded and more tolerant when we see some other opinions on  various subjects. There will always be periods of time when there are no topics that get your blood pumping faster, but there are also times when there are several topics being discussed on the same day that

frostback

I love this site the way it is. I have lots of women friends but most around me do not know the cattle like I and some of the other women on this board do. I love talking pedigrees but when I go to most shows around here the women never know what their kids steer is sired by. I feel like I always am talking to the men about the cows. Just feel like I need to make the try to the women's side but never have much to say to them so I end up at the boys table and I get looked down for doing it. On here though I get to talk to women and men about the topics I love, and the topics I dont like I ignore, like everyone has the option of doing.

JbarL

i came here about a year ago with specific questions on pha...i was needing info for spring 08( now )  season ........since my first posting  i have learned alot, and the maine issue rethoric has been quite " active".....but i have met some geat folks here....very helpful and willing to offer "sounding board" opinions ...a great source of " new trend product sharing and comparasion...what ever happened to make amaa finally decide to adresss pha , i dont no...but i feel confident now, thanks to alot of folks who did a lot of leg ( and mouth ) work to help recoconize this gene stuff....al i no is for me...if i have any open cows at the end of the month its....dcc the man  or  tap out...ta da....i would'nt  change a thing with this board....i appreciate all the moderators..., past , present and future, and all those who do a lot of all the things that need done.....and all the partacipants that ive shared with.....thanks  jabrl

oakbar

I like the board as it is!!  As many have said, open a post and if you don't like it move on to something else.  I think if everyone just keeps in mind that what you're reading on here is the  opinions of others and that most of the people are trying to be helpful we'll be OK!!  I also feel its good when  people comment if they think someone's becoming too critical or argumentative--we're kind of "self regulating" that way. 

As far as a specific issue goes(TH, PHA, etc), perhaps there is a way to index some of these by different categories, etc.  so if someone is looking for answers on a particular topic we don't all have to hash it out again but simply refer that question to a particular area.  We do that now as far as the "How to resize a thread?" and the map feature.  Maybe these could all be put into an "index area" that could serve as a reference for everyone.  We have had some very good information shared on here in the weeks that I've been involved!  Perhaps there's a better way to recover that information than trying to do searches for it!!  Just a thought!!

Keep up the good work!!

oakbar

Red,

I don't remember if you did this when I first started posting or not, but perhaps we could provide an overview to new members of how to use common features of the board.  It might even remind some of us that have been around for awhile.  Maybe something could be posted once a month or so that's kind of like an "Owners guide to using Steerplanet".  I'm sure there's many features that some of us probably know nothing about.  Just a thought!!

I'm warning you though,  I need to be retrained after coffee breaks so enlightening an Iowegian may not be a small task.

You guys do a great job!!  Please take my comments as positive reinforcement--I don't mean them to be critical in any way!!

linnettejane

one thing that i really appreciate about this board is that no question you ask is a stupid question (i am daily preaching this to my students).....and there is definitely no name calling....not mentioning any names, but i have read some posts on other boards where people have been "raked over the coals" so to speak just for asking a question...called stupid or idiot....even been cussed at for asking a question....its childish and ridiculous....and i have seen where people are insulted for giving an opinion that might be different from others....that's another thing i love about this board....you can say what you think, people will respect it, if they disagree, they will do so maturely and respectfully...

cattlejunky

Wow, I was off for a day or two and missed getting in on this earlier.  LEAVE IT AS IT IS!!!!  This board provides lots of info on different topics.  Were else can you go and talk about cattle, politics, kids, husbands, school, equipment, and get advice.  I have learned alot on different topics.  I find the other boards boring other than that spats about shows. 

ELBEE

I like Oakbar's idea on an "index" on genetic issues such as TH PHA and monkey mouth. Dr. Kaiser has been one of the formost advocates on the genetic issues, and I think it'd nice to have this on a single thread so info doesn't have to be repeated so much (waste of valueable time).

Make one on "How to cure ringworm" too. And I'll post one more time the (affective) cure!

Show Heifer

I might as well jump in...
Why do I PM more than I post (and that is not saying much)....because I am sick and tired of being the witch that everyone likes to gang up on because I don't share their opinion. I have been personally attacked, and have had bodily harm threatened (and the just what is the difference between "I am going to hunt you down and kick you face in" compared to "I wish I could kick your face in"???). And then to be told to "In the future, maybe it be best to ignore such threats".....what a coward. If someone threatens me, my family, or my friends, they better be loaded for not only a bear, but a MAD bear. More than likely I am NOT going to ignore it. And to think some, moderatators even, finds this kind of threat to be acceptable. So, I am left shaking my head.....I can only imagine if I stooped to their level what kind of hell there would be to pay....
It seems to me that opinions are tolerated as long as they are similiar to what the person wanted to hear. I am not a cheerleader. Never was in high school either. So when someone ask my opinion, I am assuming they are wanted ALL opinions, from the good to the bad, not just the "peachy" ones.
justintime: I don't see anyone being more tolerant on this board because of "sharing information"...in fact, after being threatened for sharing my opinion, I don't feel very welcome at all. And after I questioned the "all mighty" I was really bashed and threatened...funny, even after getting a response (of which I hadn't gotten until then from this person) I still don't have results.  But when info is about to surface, peace, love and happiness comes to the surface.....funny how that works. (And yes, I lost most of you on that one, but its ok.) It seems this board has lost a few members too...but who is counting....
Do I care if someone spews their guts out on this board...no, I don't read them, but if I was that 12 year old that the mother ripped on on SP, it would be a VERY LONG time before I trusted "dear ol' Mom" again. That is what communication is about between family members, not strangers on a board in which her friends can read. Sad is what I call that.
I also have concerns about "privacy"....seems to me, some that have access to info share it rather frequently as to who is who and where they are. And I don't think that is right. Seems that "information" is being shared to others when it was told in friendship and confidence...I guess that just shows what kind of person one is dealing with.
On the TH/PHA issue (geesh, can I not post at least ONCE without bring that damn thing up??)  - I find it odd people can suggest bulls without revealing their status, and then you get the "what are the chance of...?" , "I had a deformed calf...", "Does anyone know about TH/PHA...." "I've been breeding clubby cattle for years and have never...." I still believe there are people that have no idea what TH/PHA is, and yep, I feel it is my responsibility to inform them. If you don't want to read it, then don't. Just like I ignore the post I don't like "Corgies", "How do you cure ringworm (for the millionth time), "what is the best feed? (for the thousandth time)" etc...
And as for the cussing, I guess it is acceptable for some to do it, but not others....although I have found this rule to be nice (I'm not one for cussing, but do let one slip every now and then), I wish it were enforced equally, and not "depends on who it is and what their intent is."
DL has been an invaluable source of information that is not baised one way or another. You never have to worry about where she stands, or that she might "change her mind according to popular opinion or what she has in her pasture". Like her or hate her, she has to have your respect. Which is something is most people are lacking now-a-days). She is one of the VERY FEW  that has my TOTAL RESPECT. And believe it or not, I don't always agree with her (amazing we are still friends huh DL!!!). She is the ultimate professional that takes her job of educating the people that come to her very seriously. 
I have met a few others on this board, that even though we got off to a rough start, I turn to them for help, advice and even talk sheep!!! And some I have met and decided they were not who I thought they were and so off they go. No big loss on either end I am sure.
So in summary, talk about what you want. But remember the good ol' days at SS....it seems to come and go.....and this too shall pass.

RSC

I love this board the way it is, I choose the threads I want to check out and haven't ever checked out the e-scramble and others.  A simple suggestion that I have is, If your thread is not Cattle or Ag related, Start the thread with OT.  OT stands for overtime.  On a rivals sports site I belong to, if your thread is not Husker related you start the thread with OT and others can choose to not read the thread since it is off the subject.

I have also learned to be careful what I say about certian promoted bulls.  I made an honest assessment of a bull on here a few months back; it got back to me that the owner was pretty testy about the comment.

RSC

red

but Show Hef- where else can you post a prayer or thought about someone suffering from a terrible disease? Is that cattle related? Same thing w/ how to loose weight.

I & the others welcome different ideas & opinions. We were not the ones that pulled posts because we didn't like them. Despite the rumors to the contary we are not bullies or tyrants.

I have always said that DL has provided a valuable service. Never once have I denied that. She has helped me out many times. I don't always agree w/ her genetic choices but to each their own.

Red

mechanic

I don,t post on here very often but I enjoy reading topics on here every day. I don,t think you should change a thing about the board. I think that if you go back and read some of the non-cattle related topics on here you will find that they turn to cattle each and every time. That,s what we are: Cattle People! We all struggle each day to to pay the bills, keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. Most of us have a job that we go to for 8 plus hours a day. And why? To support our habit....... COWS!

Some folks think we are crazy but I say good for all. It is what makes us unique. when the first new calf is born we all get excited. When we lose one we all get down and need a boost. Logging on to steer planet and being able to read that other people have the same trials and tribulations does make it easier. I have learned allot of little tricks from some of these posts on what to do in a tricky situation. Good advice from people who have Been there and Done that.

Red: I don't know you personally but I someday we will meet i am sure. The criticism you get some times on here from certain people is uncalled for. However I think that because you are so open and caring you become the focus of some hostility. When you talk to people who check this site out from time to time the first name mentioned is Red. JIT and his ever informative posts are a close second but it is always red who is mentioned first. The other name that seems to slip in there is Knabe! That however could start a whole new thread. Just kidding Knabe. I enjoy reading all your posts.

I guess what I am trying to say is that this is why so many people enjoy Steer planet. The diversity of the people who are members and post on a regular basis about so many interesting topics make this the fastest growing site on the internet. Don't Change a Thing. Keep up the good work and if you don't want to read about a so called non cattle related topic then don't. It's your loss because chances are you may just get the laugh you needed for the day. chances are you may even post a reply.