• get out the shrink!

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

red

kimbaljd said:
knabe said:
kimbaljd said:
I am just a grumpy person.
i'll wrestle you for the title.  we could have a grump off.

The way the day is looking you dont stand a chance!  ;D

We could call you Grandpa Cranky pants!!  ;) But seriously, if you don't want too many extra topics why the post on global warming? It was a good topic & very timely but it's not cattle related. I still think a wide variety is what makes this board what it is. I hope you get a good night sleep & wake up bright eyed & bushy tailed!!!!

kimbaljd

I am going to snap back at you now! I said earlier that I wanted them seperated out. I want there to be all kinds of topics on the page, but i want to be able to go to the area I want to when I am looking for something about cattle. And on that note I have had enough and will not be back! Peace out!

daydreamingacres

I have my monets and I apologize to all that I may have offended...(and I hope that isnt anyone) but i think that this is the most well run board there is...it seems that everyone here has their own opinons and although some dont agree everyone here for the most part gtes along....There doesnt seem to be that much name calling and ill will as other boards and I would rather keep the quailty of members higher then the quanity. I would like to commend all of the moderators as well as the members on having a great place to talk about whatever and share feelings, hardships, and great accomplishements! For what it is worth from me KEEP IT UP!!!! Also you know who is posting what on this board...unlike others! <party> (thumbsup) (clapping)

keep up the gret discussions! (argue)

red

kimbaljd said:
I am going to snap back at you now! I said earlier that I wanted them seperated out. I want there to be all kinds of topics on the page, but i want to be able to go to the area I want to when I am looking for something about cattle. And on that note I have had enough and will not be back! Peace out!

Jason- I'm so sorry I offened you, I didn't mean to. I was just pointing out the inconsistancies of your posts. I'm sorry you felt that way but I guess I just can't please everyone. I guess you will go down as another one I've run off. I'm sure that will make some very happy.

Once again, I apologize.

Red

Jill

aj said:
The only people annoyed about the genetic defect stuff are people who want to sell a pha heifer to a 12 year old kid.Don't read the posts if you are not interested. It takes a big man to take advantage of a 12 year old kid and their newcomer parents. If that's how you choose to do business that's up to you.

OMG this comment is both untrue and uncalled for, just for the record, this is what I DO NOT like about this board.  I for one have lost more calves to Monkey Mouth than I have lost to PHA and TH combined, but I'm not slamming anyone for breeding to a Power Plant descendant.  I love the posting of information, but it seems with this topic you can't have an opposing view without being personally slammed.  I have never in all my life had anyone come to my place looking for a hatchet butted calf, but the 1st thing they want to see are the Heat Waves.  I don't breed to PHA bulls because I don't see an added value there, but as long as my customer base wants Heat Waves I will continue to breed to him.  Dusty has stated that you can't win without breeding TH and I don't go quite that far, but I think they are sought after because they are winning 95% of the time.  I honestly can't believe that anyone that reads any of the message boards out there hasn't heard of PHA or TH, there isn't a day that goes by that something isn't posted about it.   Let's stop the personally insults, that would make this board better!

GONEWEST

aj said:
The only people annoyed about the genetic defect stuff are people who want to sell a pha heifer to a 12 year old kid.Don't read the posts if you are not interested. It takes a big man to take advantage of a 12 year old kid and their newcomer parents. If thats how you choose to do business thats up to you. The pha and th deal are quite the story. Its been 50 years since such a large representation of a genetic defect has occured. I am sorry your life has been destoyed by being forced to read those darn pha posts. Maybe we need a federal program to see over and prevent annoying pha posts on the internet.If it saved the annoyance of one person wouldn't it be worth it.

AJ that is such an asinine statement that I'd bet you are that 12 year old. You don't know me. I have never taken advantage of anyone at anything. My hot button is adults who cheat kids. The "two shooters" theory in the JFK assassination is also, quoting you, "quite the story." But it's OLD. It's been done a gazillion times. I've heard it, I know it, not interested any more. But the main annoyance with the posts, isn't the contents, but the people who portray the problem as chicken littles  "the sky is falling", the world is gonna end because there are genetic defects in cattle and have a holier than thou attitude.

red

guys, this is the last thing I want to happen. No name calling & no ill feelings. AJ has every right to his opinion as anyone does. I'm sorry that kimbaljd left although I'm not really sure why. I did send him a letter of apology.

I don't want this to tear the board apart because that's what they want. Let's not let them suceed & show them we can be better than this & work it through.

Red  <party>  <party>  <party>  <party>

knabe

it's pretty funny, but this thread alone says a lot about the board.  generally good discussions, some around the edges, but for the most part pretty good.  it's kinda like the word game.  the posts themselves keep things moving, we get lost along the way, knabe hijacks the thread, others hijack the thread competing for knabe and kimbaljd for the title of grumpiest grump, and then a new thread takes over and everyone breaths a sigh of relief.  usually under most posts that seem to offend, they are not meant to be offensive, but come out that way.  this board is a stream of consciousness, so i don't usually get offended, though i did at least twice, and SRU corrected me, thanks, SRU. 

i wonder who has the top posts with most views and least responses.  i bet i have a good number.
i wonder who has the opposite?  most posts with most views and most responses.

jason, got to be a way to global stat this.

kanshow

I think I said it before, I love the board the way it is.   It's just like real life, I don't listen to everything everyone tells me for a variety of reasons...     And the same goes here, I don't read posts that don't interest me and I don't expect everyone will be interested in everything I post.   Wouldn't that just be boring?  

But the main annoyance with the posts, isn't the contents, but the people who portray the problem as chicken littles  "the sky is falling", the world is gonna end because there are genetic defects in cattle and have a holier than thou
 So true so true..   The beauty of it is, there are conclusive genetic tests for PHA & TH and  information is power.   By and large, I'm guessing that these two issues are not the majority of why people loose calves - Jill mentioned monkey mouth for one, another I can think of is structural issues.  

red

knabe said:
it's pretty funny, but this thread alone says a lot about the board.  generally good discussions, some around the edges, but for the most part pretty good.  it's kinda like the word game.  the posts themselves keep things moving, we get lost along the way, knabe hijacks the thread, others hijack the thread competing for knabe and kimbaljd for the title of grumpiest grump, and then a new thread takes over and everyone breaths a sigh of relief.   usually under most posts that seem to offend, they are not meant to be offensive, but come out that way.  this board is a stream of consciousness, so i don't usually get offended, though i did at least twice, and SRU corrected me, thanks, SRU. 

i wonder who has the top posts with most views and least responses.  i bet i have a good number.
i wonder who has the opposite?  most posts with most views and most responses.

jason, got to be a way to global stat this.

here Knabe are some stats for you:

Total Members: 1760
Total Posts: 49464
Total Topics: 4112
Total Categories: 1
Users Online: 61
Most Online: 235 - June 26, 2007, 03:54:19 PM
Online Today: 70
Total page views: 4310944
  Average registrations per day: 3.07
Average posts per day: 65.11
Average topics per day: 5.59
Total Boards: 5
Latest Member: kelsey kattle
Average online per day: 25.92
Male to Female Ratio: 1.9:1
Average page views per day: 5584.12

Top 10 Posters Top 10 Boards
red  5420
knabe  2671
DL  2113
zach  1651
Jill  1552
SD  1336
OH Breeder  1177
shortdawg  1110
cowz  953
justme  907
  The Big Show  46368
Classifieds  2121
Upcoming Shows  547
Photo Contest  321
Help  107

Top 10 Topics (by Replies) Top 10 Topics (by Views)
Word Association Game  4318
E- Scrabble  1305
NAME THE BULL!  631
COLLEGE FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  300
American Muscle Pic  180
ELECTION 08  148
name that tune  144
PHA calf video  130
Special prayer/thought request  126
Irish Whiskey  122
  Word Association Game  35363
NAME THE BULL!  10552
E- Scrabble  9036
Special prayer/thought request  7116
COLLEGE FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  6204
Calf Pictures: Please Share Yours!  4944
Flush of a Lifetime & results merged  4920
Sign our GUESTBOOK!  3627
Steer Planet Photo Contest - Post "BABY CALVES" Photos Here:  3294
American Muscle Pic  3268

OH Breeder

kimbaljd said:

Lighten Up dude! O0 So serious. Its not that big of deal. I appreciate the diveristy of the post. If you had oodles of columns to sort through ie , cattle, breeding, feeding, personal, etc that would be annonying. It really doesn' take that long to skim down through the list and check it out. Believe me, i am on the road on the time and find myself surfing the topics quiet frequently when my mind wonders.

dori36

red said:
I think we're going to ask Jason to have a seperate catagory called something like " the genetic connection" that way those that want to talk only about defects & such can go there & other topics that are still cattle related, personal, corgi, etc.. can be in the main area. I hope this will please everyone but sometimes you can't please everyone.

Thanks dori for you input! I've always valued your opinions because you tell it like it is!

Red

Thanks, Red.  May I make another suggestion that the category for cattle info, genetic or otherwise, be labeled "Cattle Only" or something like that.  And that the personal category be called something like "Personal Stuff".  I know, not very creative but I would think that there doesn't need to be a whole separate category just for genetic info and comments.  That can be just one part of the total Cattle category.  Just my opinion, of course.

Doc

I agree with CAB, I like it just like it is. I personally can't stand having all the sub forums , to me that causes to much searching. I like to scroll down thru & I never can tell when something may strike my fancy that I may want to look at. Or if there is a post that I didn't look at in the beginning but all of a sudden I see that there has been 300 responses to that post I may get nosey all of a sudden & take a look at it. Jason, Red , Cowz & anyone else involved I really appreciate everything y'all have done on this board. I know it can't be easy doing everything involved, but I really look forward to going to SP anytime I get a chance & my vote is once again , DON'T CHANGE A THING!!!!!!  & Thanks!!!!

Jill

One of the really net features is the unread posts, I think this is all the seperation you would need, it allows me to quickly look through everything I might have missed.

DLD

Personally, I'm not big on the sub-forums idea either. I like to be able to see everything at once... I don't normally use the unread posts feature, but if it covered all the sub-forums at once I guess I wouldn't mind more subforums.

Sorting off the TH/PHA stuff prob'ly wouldn't do a whole lot of good, because it often pops up out of conversations that didn't start that way at all (like this one). I'd prefer to avoid the lecture every time anyone mentions a carrier bull in any sort of favorable light, too, and I also take exception to the idea that just because of that, I'm obviously a low-life that's out to dump carrier breeding stock on anybody that I can. Anyone who wants to argue otherwise is welcome to their opinions, but they need to remember they're just that - opinions.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this board, like any other, is what we (the users) make of it. There's a tremendous wealth of information here, a little mis-information (albeit almost completely unintentional), and a fair amount of good old fashioned b.s. (that's the part that makes it fun). It's up to everyone that reads a post to take away from it what they will. By the looks of this thread and the poll at the top of it, it seems that the majority are satisfied customers.

justintime

I agree with Doc and several others.... don't change anything... I dislike sub forums just as many others have posted. The first thing I do every morning is do a quick check of my email.... and then a quick check of SP. It only takes one or two minutes to read the posts that have been added since I checked the evening before. I LIKE THIS PLACE EXACTKT AS IT IS...( I am not yelling...I am just speaking loud enough that I am heard.... haha)  This board has been set up right.... it is being run right... it is informative and educational. There are topics that do not interest me... but is just great. It would be a pretty boring world if we all agreed, or if we all liked the same things.

garybob

I agree with JIT. Everything is so much easier to read, than, let's say BreedersWorld, with the stupid Tournamnet-bracket-style graphics that give me nightmares about sentence diagramming in 9th grade!

Besides, Y'all tolerate me, and, that is invaluable.

GB

kanshow

Agreed - this format is one of the easiest to navigate!!  Don't Change!!!!