How is harvest in your part of the world?

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

How is harvest in your part of the world?

I don't grow any grain crops, but I live in a big grain area. It is sad to see a potential bumper crop get so damaged by this endless rain we seem to be getting. This is supposed to be dry country, but we have had the wettest year I can remember in many years. We are probably close to triple our normal rainfall since spring, and now it won't stop when harvest should be happening.

A neighbor showed me some barley he took from a field that has 1.5 inch sprouts growing from the heads.... standing in the field. He said he has 300 acres of peas that won't even be combined now because it is flat to the ground and a rotten moldy mess.
On the bright side, lentil prices have soared to over $25 per acre and those who were fortunate to get them combined before this last period of rain started will be very lucky. I know one guy who hit his lentils hard and got them off.... he has over 20,000 bushels... or over $.5 Million sitting in his bins. I think I would be selling and not waiting for them to go higher.

It is even very hard to do any cattle work when it is like this. The mud is getting deep and I have no idea how some of you deal with mud 10 months of the year. That makes the work many times harder. How is harvest going where you live?

beefy08

In west central ohio things are looking good. It is a little dry, but with harvest here that is ok with me. We finished corn harvest two days ago and we should be taking beans off in the next week and a half.

trevorgreycattleco

beefy08 said:
In west central ohio things are looking good. It is a little dry, but with harvest here that is ok with me. We finished corn harvest two days ago and we should be taking beans off in the next week and a half.

Now thats gettin er done. Lots of folks by me running beans but not so much corn yet. Crops look great in central Ohio, but it is so dry here. Leaves already starting to turn. Seems we are about a half a month ahead this year because of the heat and dry.

JIT your wet and not suppose to be, we are dry and not suppose to be lol. I don't miss the mud tho. ;)

justintime

I saw a large flock of geese heading south two days ago, and if that is  definitely early for them. I hope they were just confused or we could be in for a bad time. No frost here yet, but some north of us and central Alberta has had a few now. Forecasting snow for some parts of central Alberta in next few days. There must be a bunch of farmers on suicide watch by now.

Okotoks

I am real glad I don't have any grain crops to harvest this year. Most of the crops are 4 weeks behind and now its constant wet weather and cold wet weather. We have had rain 16 of the last 20 days and there's more in the forecast with lows near freezing and frost warnings. (They are even mentioning the s word for tomorrow, and it's way too early for snow ??? :mad: :(
It really isn't even good <beer> weather. Not that it stops us.

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
Small grains are mostly done here. Beans are close. Haven't seen any silage corn done here yet which is odd due to the weather..should be starting any day.
JIT and Okotoks.........feel for you guys........I guess Corb Lunds song is right for this year............"the Chev got stuck and the Ford got stuck and the Dodge got stuck in the tractor ruts that eventually pulled out the Ford".
Isn't mother nature fun.

Shady Lane

South central Alberta,

Very little combining doe at all, some field peas. That's about it!

Some crops still very green and immature, canola still with some flowers on it even, probably 50-60% of the canola is swathed now.

They have been forecasting lows of -8C (17F) and a chance of snow.

If that happens we won't have to be worrying about a harvest because it will be over before it ever started.

Shorthorns4us

Wow- Canadian plains are getting a tough blow this year.

SW Iowa USA here-- we did have lots of rain again this summer, but crops are looking pretty good. 
We are watching beans closely and hope to move on those next week.
Most silage is chopped and put up.
Corn-- wild card here- some guys are running and batch drying, I think some guys are running wet corn for feed.
We will wait and let mother nature bring our moisture numbers down.  We aren't getting too excited about corn yet.
We were fortunate enough this year to get 4 cuttings of hay off of our big field and then for some smaller fields and waterways we were able to 3.  Lots of guys around here constantly fighting the rain when it was time for hay.

Aussie

It is wet wet wet here can not not get much in. Talking to a guy last night that has 100ha sprayed off and was supposed to plant poppies 2 weeks ago and can not get a 4 wheeler across the paddock. Price for McCain potates still not set and due to go in the ground soon. McCain looking for a $45 drop 3% under ave cost production.

GoWyo

I though poppies were planted in Afghanistan for heroin.  What do you guys in Oz do with them?

justintime

Aussie said:
Here in Tasmania we are the only registered part of the world to grow opium poppies for medical proposes

Here in N America, we refer to that as " taking a trip and never leaving the farm"  haha

HAB

Simply put MUD  We have had over 5 inches of rain, this last week, and were wet to begin with.  Haying has pretty much wrapped up, but we may still take a 3rd cutting, and put up some mature grass if the water goes down.  Yhe soybeans are still a couple of weeks out.  Silage is at a standstill.  There are some beets being lifted in the sand, but track tractors are being used to drag trucks through the fields.

dan m

I live about an hour east of pittsburgh and its so dry you can't even notice river bed anymore! I mowed 70 acres down and only got 32 4x4 round bales! The Good Lord knows what he is doing though, please pray for rain!

oakview

Central Iowa.  Co-op manager told me Tuesday that they had corn coming in at 18% with yields of 200+.  Beans in this area were hit extremely hard with sudden death, but an older farmer north of town said his were the best he's ever had.  The humidity has dropped quite a bit over the past two weeks, we missed rain last night, and the corn seems to be drying fast.  Quite a change over last year.  Expecting excellent yields and high prices.  Maybe all the farmers can by a Shorthorn!

randiliana

SW Sask here, and not much done. Lentils and peas are probably mostly off, but you still see lots of those out there yet that are still grass green too. I don't believe that the combines have turned a wheel in over a week, if they did it was only for a very few hours. Supposed to rain here today, then Sunday, Monday and Tues too. Heck, you still see guys haying their first cut in places, and that is unheard of here.

We have 50 acres of Barley to swath and combine, been waiting to cut is for probably 10 days and it has been a no go. DH tried it a few days ago, almost got stuck. OTOH we did get our fall Triticale swathed, combined part of it and baled most of it. So we're over half done. Have 100 acres of oats waiting to bale, I'm starting to think Swath Grazing on it though.

upthecreek

Southern Manitoba is MUD.  Most small grain that hasn't floated away is done, starting to cut beans in between rains.  Crops have been poor to slightly below average so far.  Most of the corn looks good if it will ever dry out, but fields are so wet some will have to wait till the ground freezes to get the combines on the fields.