Interesting reading on Sullivan flyer !!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

so sue.. do you think it's time for the third breed-- first two just maybe didn't quite work out?  Do you think it will be hard to counterfeit fake dollars in that breed?  Why not go for something a little weaker genetically-- you know so they can wow and aaahh the breeders, make friends-- and buy everything under the sun? 

Before the wall fell- was it as big as it is now?

knabe

mark tenenbaum said:
knabe said:
Anyone ever heard of supply and demand?// YUP-THATS THE POINT I AM MAKING-THE SUPPLY AND DEMAND ARE BECOMING MORE LIMITED AT THE SAME TIME= huge loss of general market-and eventual extiction. O0

it's probably a bad idea to go after a larger market share in a shrinking market.

perhaps that in a nutshell is the criticism with trump.

can't anyone make a new trump?

to me, trump is cunia anyway. 

lots of options as i see it, to expand the market, especially if the breed is 6 bulls.

just make a new breed by infusing something different.  why does it have to be a shorthorn.  maine's are shorthorns anyway with a shot of draft.

gives a whole new meaning to the next bull called "draft pick", except this time, it should be mostly solid dark red and he will come from........

shortdawg

sue said:
Shorthorns are a maternal breed.. a docile breed that mother should flesh and grade easily. It's nice to know a hand few of breeders never lost sight of this . ... I have enjoyed this post .  It's so obvious what is getting old and tired fast.  Let's give Hereford a crack at the show ring !

Just in case the Hereford remark was meant for me ( I don't think it was ), we show some other breeds like the Hereford in my profile because we sell Shorties and folks kind of get mad if you sell them a calf then show up in the same class in breed they are in. just good business not to do that down here. 

sue

shortdawg said:
sue said:
Shorthorns are a maternal breed.. a docile breed that mother should flesh and grade easily. It's nice to know a hand few of breeders never lost sight of this . ... I have enjoyed this post .  It's so obvious what is getting old and tired fast.  Let's give Hereford a crack at the show ring !

Just in case the Hereford remark was meant for me ( I don't think it was ), we show some other breeds like the Hereford in my profile because we sell Shorties and folks kind of get mad if you sell them a calf then show up in the same class in breed they are in. just good business not to do that down here. 
not implying  anything . Just used hereford as an example of people get tired and then move on to the next breed; drop papers, turn a angus bull out on the shorthorn cows .

RyanChandler

sue said:
Added it to my signature!  ;)

rarebirdz

Angus r also maternal those r good mommas yet they raise a good calf that grows to be a great steer or replacement. Guess not everyone can focus on the big picture I like the Sullivan flyer <beer>  great topic

RyanChandler

JTM said:

If the genetics are such that they are easy fleshing and have superior growth on grass, how much better will they do when grain is poured to them?!?!  

I doesnt work like that, jtm.  As an analogy, compare the easy fleshing type to 4 cylinder car and the high growth/yield type to a king air prop jet.  The 4 cylinder will get great fuel mileage  and run on pump gas.  The jet blows through fuel but when feed that high octane fuel, it has tremendous output- like the high growth type cattle.  The 4 cylinder utilizes low quality fuel- like the easy fleshing type, but their output is limited.  If you have a lot of high powered fuel/feed,  the 4 cylinder cannot utilize  it to its potential. Then again, if all you have is pump gas, the jet won't do you much good either.

justintime

I happen to agree with what John Sullivan has written in his bull sale flyer. I wasn't in Denver this year, but I have talked to several people who were there, and the general comment I heard was the quality of most of  the Shorthorn bulls there was pretty good but they needed some more frame. I would agree with what I have seen in the past couple years. I am not opposed to moderation in frame, as I think there is a real need for some of these bulls in the breed to moderate some bigger framed cows, but I do think we are seeing some loss in performance at the same time.

I know that there are some on here that do not believe in what the Sullivan program offers, but IMO, it is just one of the many options for genetics out there. I will say, that I think John Sullivan has been a bit of a leader in being not afraid to bring in new genetics and calving ease genetics, as can be seen in several of the bulls and new females he has acquired in the past few years. Some of their cattle may not be what you are wanting, but I'm quite sure if you ever stopped there for a visit, you would see something that would work in most any program. I have been there 3 times in the past two years, and have been quite impressed.

In general, I agree with his comments and feel while Shorthorns are first and foremost a maternal breed, they also offer good traits in regards to marbling and carcass quality that some producers are extremely interested in.

Okotoks

Chandler said:
JTM said:

If the genetics are such that they are easy fleshing and have superior growth on grass, how much better will they do when grain is poured to them?!?!  

I doesnt work like that, jtm.   As an analogy, compare the easy fleshing type to 4 cylinder car and the high growth/yield type to a king air prop jet.   The 4 cylinder will get great fuel mileage  and run on pump gas.   The jet blows through fuel but when feed that high octane fuel, it has tremendous output- like the high growth type cattle.   The 4 cylinder utilizes low quality fuel- like the easy fleshing type, but their output is limited.  If you have a lot of high powered fuel/feed,  the 4 cylinder cannot utilize  it to its potential. Then again, if all you have is pump gas, the jet won't do you much good either.
To some extent I agree with what you are saying but in a lot ways cattle are like hybrid vehicles and the good ones convert the fuel provided. A cow that does it on dry prairie grass will probably also do it on grain or corn stalks.

trevorgreycattleco

I will never make sense to me to feed a big ol cow more hay and grass every year to get a few more pounds (maybe) of weaned calf. Bigger bulls are not the answer. Faster growing to a year and moderating mature weights is what needs to be focused on. rarebirdz is kinda right. There are some angus lines that do what she says but there is also alot of "carcass cattle" that are just hard ass doing cattle. 036 anyone? Lakeside Doc Clark was the heaviest shorthorn bull on the hill and I was told by several people he was the most 3 dimensional bull on the hill and was the head of the class. 2400 lbs is not a dink. AND he bred cows last year and just had to eat grass. Man, poor guy. I believe a 5 frame cow bred right will outproduce a 7 frame  cow for profit every time. Is a 650 lb ww lacking performance? How about a 1200 lb yw coming out of the feedlot? I guess if your used to looking at SAV weights then they would seem small but to me, thats right on.

r.n.reed

I think the feeding industry is sending different signals.I also find it hard to believe with todays feed costs someone is still touting maximum performance.

thunderdownunder

trevorgreycattleco said:
I will never make sense to me to feed a big ol cow more hay and grass every year to get a few more pounds (maybe) of weaned calf. Bigger bulls are not the answer. Faster growing to a year and moderating mature weights is what needs to be focused on. rarebirdz is kinda right. There are some angus lines that do what she says but there is also alot of "carcass cattle" that are just hard ass doing cattle. 036 anyone? Lakeside Doc Clark was the heaviest shorthorn bull on the hill and I was told by several people he was the most 3 dimensional bull on the hill and was the head of the class. 2400 lbs is not a dink. AND he bred cows last year and just had to eat grass. Man, poor guy. I believe a 5 frame cow bred right will outproduce a 7 frame  cow for profit every time. Is a 650 lb ww lacking performance? How about a 1200 lb yw coming out of the feedlot? I guess if your used to looking at SAV weights then they would seem small but to me, thats right on.

Do you happen to know how many cows he bred?

kfacres

thunderdownunder said:
trevorgreycattleco said:

Do you happen to know how many cows he bred?

isn't his owners on here?  Shorthorn R US or something like that???

shortdawg

justintime said:
I happen to agree with what John Sullivan has written in his bull sale flyer. I wasn't in Denver this year, but I have talked to several people who were there, and the general comment I heard was the quality of most of  the Shorthorn bulls there was pretty good but they needed some more frame. I would agree with what I have seen in the past couple years. I am not opposed to moderation in frame, as I think there is a real need for some of these bulls in the breed to moderate some bigger framed cows, but I do think we are seeing some loss in performance at the same time.

I know that there are some on here that do not believe in what the Sullivan program offers, but IMO, it is just one of the many options for genetics out there. I will say, that I think John Sullivan has been a bit of a leader in being not afraid to bring in new genetics and calving ease genetics, as can be seen in several of the bulls and new females he has acquired in the past few years. Some of their cattle may not be what you are wanting, but I'm quite sure if you ever stopped there for a visit, you would see something that would work in most any program. I have been there 3 times in the past two years, and have been quite impressed.

In general, I agree with his comments and feel while Shorthorns are first and foremost a maternal breed, they also offer good traits in regards to marbling and carcass quality that some producers are extremely interested in.

I agree and for the record I consider John a friend and he has been nothing but good to me and my kids. One thing I can say that I've learned about him is that he is a forward thinker and an excellent cattleman. Sure you have to have the funds to buy some of the best beasts available but you also have to have some cattle sense to know what to breed them to. I made a point to emphasize that one of his top sellers last fall was a Shorty/Angus cross ..............this was no accident b/c it works and he knows that.

mark tenenbaum

I agree with a much needed infusion of new blood-and commented on the influence of DMCC LTD EDITION-2-3 years ago and how I admired what B-Good and then Sullivan were doing. However-little to none of these genetics are in any kind of use-mainly brcause of exclusivity-which in the end-doesnt prove thier usefullness in the real world.The only ones out there so far in large use (for a Shorthorn)are: Proud Jazz,Capiche(a Son) and Capt Obvious-and they arent alot of breeders cup of tea in the growth dept. No-Matter,its a start the show cattle arent making,nor at this stage-are they capable ofit,and the commercial people know it. O0

J

JTM

Chandler said:
JTM said:

I doesnt work like that, jtm.   As an analogy, compare the easy fleshing type to 4 cylinder car and the high growth/yield type to a king air prop jet.   The 4 cylinder will get great fuel mileage  and run on pump gas.   The jet blows through fuel but when feed that high octane fuel, it has tremendous output- like the high growth type cattle.   The 4 cylinder utilizes low quality fuel- like the easy fleshing type, but their output is limited.  If you have a lot of high powered fuel/feed,  the 4 cylinder cannot utilize  it to its potential. Then again, if all you have is pump gas, the jet won't do you much good either.
Chandler, I respect your opinion but I don't believe that you analogy is absolute. There are a lot of different types of cattle that react differently to certain environments, I understand that. My point is that some cattle are easier fleshing and convert "feed" better than others. They are hardier and require less and do more. We need cattle with 4 cylinder engines with nitrous oxide. Just flip the button (grain em) and they take off even more. I have some cattle like this. Do you have the 4 cylinders or the Jet engines?

GONEWEST

r.n.reed said:
I think the feeding industry is sending different signals.I also find it hard to believe with todays feed costs someone is still touting maximum performance.

??? Of course this is a great time to be touting maximum performance . Let's do some math.

First some parameters need to be set. First, calves that are 100-205 days old generally convert a high concentrate feed in the range of say 3.5 - 4 pounds of feed per pound of gain. Say yearling bulls or feedlot steers 5 - 5.5. (rates per MARC)

Lets use some expensive feed and say its .14 a pound.

For this example we will use 500 pounds as our marketing point and assume a 1.98 per pound sales price per a report from NE sale barn last week off cattle.com.

Cost of gain would equal .14 (cost of feed per pound ) X 4 (pounds of feed needed to gain one pound) = .56 per pound of gain on those young calves.  Using a 1.98 per pound sales price you can assume that for every dollar of feed that calf eats, he returns you $3.50. It doesn't matter if he eats 10 pounds a day or two pounds. The more he eats the more he gains and the more dollars he converts into $3.50. It's like a money printing machine. The faster it runs, the more it makes.

Some will say that the calf would gain SOMETHING on its own without benefit of supplementation so lets be very liberal with that notion and say the calf would gain 40% of the total weight in this scenario with no supplementation. That means for every $1.00 you spent on feed you only get a $2.10 return. And the more pounds he gains, the greater his performance,  the more $2.10 he puts in your pocket. Input costs are inconsequential because the more that goes in the more comes out.

Lets look at it from a different perspective. Lets say you're a cow-calf guy. Many here calve in the fall. There isn't much grazing going on after Thanksgiving. Cows are generally fed hay only from then through end March or middle of April.  If your calves weigh 500 pounds at 4 months instead of 500 pounds at 6 months you can carry more cows per acre because you saved two extra months of calf grazing. The calves are gone before there is any grass to graze  Ad to that the lower nutritional needs for cows that are not nursing big calves, easier breeding back and the all around advantages of early weaning and you see another reason why maximum performance is important.

I have friends in NE who retain ownership on 900-1000 head per year all the way through slaughter. Each year they have tried to take a group and negotiate some sort of "magic grid" that pays them premiums for quality grade. In trying to hit this grid they don't implant that set of calves. NEVER, EVER, not ONE TIME has the difference in price for the difference in carcass weight that implant would have made. Maximum performance is important.

When they weigh more they pay more, period. And when they weigh more sooner they pay more. The vast majority of producers still sell their cattle at auction markets. They don't get much of a discount or a premium for the shape of their bodies. They get paid by the pound and the more pounds the more they get paid.

Feed efficiency comes more into play when sale prices are not in line with input prices. And although inputs are high today, so are sale prices.  The problem with feed efficiency as it relates to gain is that it is only a moderately heritable trait and the difference between the best and the worst is only about 10%. That would make the difference between the best and the average only about 5%. That's why maximum performance is important. There are differences in performance of animals and even more so with performance between breeds. That's why is was so stupid for Simmental cattle to "dumb down" to the level of Angus cattle. There are plenty of Simmental cattle that won't gain any more than the average Angus and many more these days that won't milk any better.

The problem with efficiency from the basis of cow standpoint is that the maintenance requirements as it relates to mature size is not linear. In other words a 1600 pound cow does not require 33% more feed than a 1200 pound cow, even though it is 33% larger (heavier and probably larger framed). There are lots 1600 pound cows that are heavy milkers that keep their flesh and wean a 600 pound calf at 5 1/2 months. There are 1200 pound cows that wean half their weight on a little less  less feed, but it takes 7 1/2 months.  Which is more efficient? Cow efficiency has to be determined on an individual basis and depends on the inputs YOU have available.

I used the jet fuel analogy on my post on page 1. Reality IS like Chandler mentioned. To use JTM's analogy a 4 cylinder with nitrous will never ever run with a jet on jet fuel. And if all you have is jet fuel, is there a reason you would put it in a 4 cylinder? Yet if you don't have jet fuel you don't need a jet, do you?

Like I said on page one, I can't understand why people argue about what kind of cow is the "best." There are so many different production scenarios and management practices that there has to be different animals that work best for each of them. You might have the best animal for your particular situation, but you DO NOT have the best one for all situations.

But the emphasis of this whole thread isn't actually about performance or efficiency, MOST of these posts are REALLY about trying to denigrate the outfit the OP mentioned. The problem with many of your thought processes is that you believe success, profit, what ever you want to call it, just has to be tied to all these statistics or some pie in the sky ideal. In reality it is based only on what you can sell. If you can't sell what you produce, obviously you won't be as successful  as someone who can sell what they produce. And if you both can sell what you produce then the measure of who is most successful is who sells their produce for the most. Who is producing what their customers are willing to pay the most for? The bank doesn't give you extra dollars in your account because your cattle were made for the "real world", or "fit the box" or more commercially acceptable, or who the momma was or what show they won.  They just give you money based on the numbers on the check you brought in. The bottom line is money and how much of it have you made.  If you people were so smart about cattle breeding it seems to me it would be you who are bringing in the larger bank deposit slips instead of the people you so enjoy whining about.

knabe

Gonewest, not clear on the implants. Are you saying they paid for themselves or not?

Also, what happens when supply and demand are at equilibrium?

What happens when supply exceeds demand

What happens when demand exceeds supply?

Now throw in just in time inventory management and how does the person carrying excess inventory strike?