Interesting reading on Sullivan flyer !!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shady Lane

Gonewest,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a concise post.

I agree with many of the things that you have posted here.

One thing I don't understand though, is why everyone in this business seems to always talk about extremes?  On one hand we have groups of people that are talking about 'Maximum Performance". While I completely agree that growth and performance in our cattle is EXTREMELY important and lets face facts, it is one of the single most important economic factors in this business. The cow calf man, the backgrounder and the feedlot finishing aspects of this business all get paid on how much these cattle grow and how much weight they gain. End of story...

That being said, I don't know if we have to chase this to an extreme? I don't know if we are truly seeking "Maximum Performance" in this regard? Frankly I have no interest in going back down the road of the 80's monsters, the Ayatollah Craze, the Yard Stick Cattle or whatever you may wish to call it.

On the other hand, in the same marketplace and market conditions, in the same time period, we have people talking about cattle with 3.5 and 4 frame scores and 900lb mature cows and touting that as being efficient. Frankly I don't see it being more efficient to purposely breed the growth and performance out of the cattle? Unless you find it more "efficient" to take home a smaller calf check in the fall?

Some people are so proud of these 900lb cows, yet I fail to see where they fit into the marketplace in most common scenarios. If an average feedlot steer is 1,400lb going to slaughter is using a cow with the genetics to MATURE to only 900lb an efficient way of doing this? What sort of terminal "Maximum Growth" bulls are we going to have to use to achieve this sort of performance on cows with genetics that clearly lack this kind of growth?

This is sort of like saying it is more efficient to fill my swimming pool with a drinking straw than it is with a garden hose.

One buzzword that gets thrown around so much on this board and in the industry as a whole is the term "Moderate". So I borrowed this definition from Websters dictionary: "tending toward the mean or average amount or dimension".

To me, that definition exactly fits the description of moderate cattle, cattle that are not extreme in any one dimmension.

So often I hear people calling frame 4 cattle or 900lb mature cows "moderate", when this to me is the completely the opposite of the meaning of this word. In my mind those cattle are actually quite extreme! They are in fact extremely small.

My thoughts on the initial subject of this thread, while I have not seen the flyer sent out by the Sullivan operation, I did attend NWSS in Denver this year.

My initial thoughts when I first arrived on the grounds and took a quick walk through the cattle on the Hill were "Wow, you hear so many people in the US these days talking about downsizing cattle, smaller framed cattle and throwing around the word "Moderate". "But many of these cattle appear to be trending to extremely large". There were some very big framey females on the Hill this year I felt.

Then I took a walk down into the yards, toured through some of the bulls on display, watched a small part of the pen show and had a look at many of the bulls that were for sale throughout the yards.

There seemed to be some real polar opposites?

I then thought that there were many cattle that were once again, very extreme. Except this time there were cattle that were extremely small framed and in many instances lacked the necesary growth and performance to be commercially viable for many operations.

I thought about this phenomenom all weekend while in Denver, and tried to come up with an explanation for this. The best explanation I could come up with in my own mind was that we are at a crossroad in this breed and maybe even in the industry as a whole. I'm not entirely sure where that will take us or what the marketplace might look like in 5 or 10 years but it did make up my own mind on a few of my own thoughts as a breeder and that is to simply keep doing what I am doing and breed cattle that I believe to be "Moderate" and maintain a balance of traits, an acceptable mature frame size and posess growth, performance and soundness that are usefull to the industry.

These are my rambling thoughts one crisp early morning in Saskatchewan.

Mill Iron A

I'm not saying shorthorns can't make it back onto the commercial scene in a wider acceptance but it is going to take some serious changing for the breed and the breeders.  What a lot of pb guys of any breed don't get is that commercial guys don't care what cow family that bull is out of.  They don't care what shows it won. They don't care about that stuff.  The want good udders good feet, convienece traits (low bw).  Thats first and  foremost.  But what they want above and beyond that is a program.  They want the  reassurance that this purchase will make them profitable. That is why the angus breed has prospered so well.  They reassure their customer base.  I am a phenotype guy but lets face it. We have to use E.pds as a reference and I don't even think that is possible to want or pay attention to shorthorn epds.  Nobody else does.

GONEWEST

knabe said:
Gonewest, not clear on the implants. Are you saying they paid for themselves or not?

Also, what happens when supply and demand are at equilibrium?

What happens when supply exceeds demand

What happens when demand exceeds supply?

Now throw in just in time inventory management and how does the person carrying excess inventory strike?

Buddy, I am going to take a stab at this although I am not clear exactly what scenario you mean.

First the implants always pay for themselves because nothing beats pounds of carcass, within the acceptable parameters.

As far as the supply and demand, I will take a stab. If you mean what happens with supply and demand of beef is at equilibrium, you know what happens, you have a stable market.  If you mean that performance rises to a level that supply of beef exceeds consumer demand, that's not going to happen anytime in the near future with less cow numbers than ever and a weak dollar keeping imports out. When demand exceeds supply you know what happens, 1.98 5 weight calves. JIT inventory management is a challenge in every business and speaking from 28 years of experience, it is not always the best way, by any measure,  to manage inventory. Of course it is a must with fresh product. But I can't quite get what performance and inventory management have in common. ?

If you mean what about the supply/demand side of what I will call the "value added" cattle, cattle that have value beyond commercial applications,  that people seem to be so inclined to bash in these threads. It's the same thing. You have a stable market when supply and demand are at equilibrium. The difference is that when supply exceeds demand, those with the product that more closely resembles consumer demand flourish and those that produce product that does not meet what the consumer wants as nearly falter. When what the consumer wants is in short supply you get $100,000 calves.

I am not really sure what any of that has to do with performance, and I am sure I didn't tell you anything you didn't know, but I didn't really understand the point of the questions. But I tried., Sorry if I didn't respond to what you had intended.

r.n.reed

Good meaningful conversation guys.One of the things I really liked in Gone Wests discussion was the difference between breeds.The premise of Sullivans piece was that we need to reach the performance levels of the Champion Angus pen bulls.In the Shorthorn breed we already know how to do the 1400#yearling thing, we had them in the early 80's and they didn't survive the decade with a lot lower cost structure than we have today.The Shorthorn that produced that kind of an animal gave up too much in other economically relevant traits.Apparently the Angus breed has been able to steer around the problems we had with those cattle.To make a general statement that we need to achieve more performance no matter what an individual operations parameters may be is the same to me as some of the statements made on the other end of the spectrum of ideas.
Every producer needs to buy breeding stock that will helpHIS herd achieve optimum performance.

Okotoks

There was an Angus bull on display in the yards that had a light BW and an incredible yearling weight. I’m having a brain cramp remembering but I think his BW was 83 and YW was plus 1600!
In the early 1990’s we had an annual bull test in Alberta with over 60 bulls every year and the average yearling weights were about 1200 lbs. I don’t think the breed had “calving problems” back then and if we had average yearling weights today of 1300 lbs. we would be a breed ideally suited to use in most commercial operations. I think focusing on one trait like birth weight is a long term plan for disaster. (single trait selection of any kind)
Gonewest I really enjoyed your post. At the end of the day it is all about paying the bills and showing a profit. I went to an ASA break out session in Denver on promotion and the meeting was hijacked for a while with one individual complaining about the “negative publicity” generated by the breed’s most successful program. As far as I was concerned the negative energy that was put out by this individual is the breed’s biggest challenge.  ???

r.n.reed

In response to Okotoks comment on that low birthweight Angus bull with the big yearling weight,When the Shorthorn breed was producing those high performing cattle in the early 80's you never heard of calving problems, in fact we were rated the #1 calving ease breed at Marc during that era.

mark tenenbaum

TO BE Redundent:I dont think the purpose of this thread is to bash anybody-as much as to face the facts that 1:the disparity between purebred shorthorns that show-(andthat:  too a large degree are unavailable for various reasons: thus no real documentation (and to some no believable docs etc)-AND 2: The not so showy-for the most part smaller framed bulls that are being used commercially-but again-not a lot of documentation,outside the breed. When we had the MARC studies-all the big bopper bulls-syndicated or not-were represented and put to the grid,in a non-marketing arena-the FACTS WERE THE FACTS. I say to the powers that be:-beautifull cattle-look wonderfull at shows,you still have a limited group of people who can afford to buy them-so you can actually get a return upon what started as a gutsy investment.However-the attempts at changing a Good? thing wont go along way with the industry as a wholeThey dont have to buy 25 straws for $4000,or pay an average of $13000 for an open hiefer-to get 80 pound BWS,1250 pound Yearling Wts etc-The following breeds have bulls in the thousands like this available everywhere,and not allways at purebred prices:Maines,Angus,Simmintals,Lately-Herefords,some Limmis,some charolais,and a bunch of others-I just personally wish that people like Vaneck(sorry about the spelling)Kaper,JR Ranch.Kieth Lauer, etc would jump some of thier bulls and put them on Cattle Visions,and SEK,and give people some more usable options.I dont buy the deal about commercial guys paying $8-10000 per bull-and I live in one of the highest Angus populations per Sq mile OF USEABLE GROUND,probably in the US if not the world-VA.Ive seen what I considered very good bull calves-(no not at Whitestone-and certainly not at Wiermans)bring market price in this strong cattle market-and sire alot of calves. Theres a guy down the road who leases pastures from multi millionaire yuppies in Middleburg Horses A&**^%S country,who has 700 cows.He has sold some good steers etc here and there off his commercials-HE DONT PAY NO $1500 or more for NO BULL. O0

oakbar

There  were a lot of good bulls in Denver this year, but as has been stated by others on here many of those bulls mated to a 6 frame or less cow would produce IMHO a smaller framed  calf than most people are looking for in their feed lots.    The Shorthorn breed has had larger frame sizes, etc than may be ideal for the average cattleman the last few years, but I still think many cattlemen will buy a slightly larger bull than average just as many commercial cattlemen like a slightly smaller female than many of the purebred folks do.    Paired together these probably will put out progeny that are pretty darn good.

I talked with John in the yards about this very topic and, before everyone takes one quote from a marketing piece as his total strategy for breeding, lets also remember his prior quotes on this topic about "breeding to the middle".  John and his crew have accompiished a lot for the Shorthorn breed and I think if the whole CAB thing wasn't hanging over our heads there would be huge demand for the type of bulls he's raising--particularly with the infusion of the genetics of the last 2-3 years into his program.  In case you haven't been following--its not just about the Trump/Solution bloodlines anymore--- its the crosses they're making back on these lines and amazing females they have.  In fact, I'm always wondering whatl their cross will be.  I for one, can't wait to see!!  JMHO

D

dogger

It is pretty simple you put a frame 6 to 7 frame bull on  35 moderate framed cows. The  flyer says...... We need more performance in our shorthorn yard cattle.  Not shorthorn cattle in general. Read it slowly.  I have seen the angus, shorthorn and herd. Cattle in Denver yards last 3 years. I agree with the flyer.  Why use a small bull on  35 big cows.

kfacres

dogger said:
It is pretty simple you put a frame 6 to 7 frame bull on   35 moderate framed cows. The  flyer says...... We need more performance in our shorthorn yard cattle.  Not shorthorn cattle in general. Read it slowly.   I have seen the angus, shorthorn and herd. Cattle in Denver yards last 3 years. I agree with the flyer.  Why use a small bull on  35 big cows.

B/C NOBODY HAS THE MODERATE COWS-- THEY ALL HAVE TYPICAL SHORTHORN MONSTERS.

kfacres

oakbar said:
particularly with the infusion of the genetics of the last 2-3 years into his program.   In case you haven't been following--its not just about the Trump/Solution bloodlines anymore--- its the crosses they're making back on these lines and amazing females they have. 

care to enlighten the rest of the world about any success stories on 'other' non mainstream genetics?  you know like the ONE calf that got sold from trailor load of Rob Sneed cows- or the group of cows that came from that dispersal in VA or wherever it was, what about the JSF bull?...  or how about any semen every purchased and used like TM Gus or AoD???

Do any of these "infused" genetics- ever make it past year 2, and generated something to either keep back-- or heavens to Betsy.. make it into their sale with more than 1 animal...  nothing's different-- read the old sale catalogs--  they were using different stuff 5 and 6 years ago... BUT WHEN PUSH CAME TO SHOVE__ back to the broken record cattle they went... 

have they ever made a shorthorn plus- not from that Stockman 898 donor or a daughter? 

????????????

IMO-- it's about purchasing from potential customers...

CBowlin

let's face it.. good cattle are good cattle. the sullivan program has had some of the best cattle in the shorthorn breed as long as i can remember. they know what genetics work well when crossed together. their cattle win in the ring and in the pasture. i dont know about all of you but i would take that Stockman donor or any other of their donors anyday of the week. they keep lining trump on trump because guess what.... it works! <rock>  people use what wins and works. maybe start using what works and it will help out??  (lol) they make money... and thats what the idustry is about! <beer>

D

dogger

To     Cut the b.s.   .....  It is a shame that u are included in the steerplanet forum.  I went back and read your post on many subjects. Why u are allowed on here is beyond me.  Your a walking slander case for steerplanet and yourself.   Shame on u.

sue

CBowlin said:
let's face it.. good cattle are good cattle. the sullivan program has had some of the best cattle in the shorthorn breed as long as i can remember. they know what genetics work well when crossed together. their cattle win in the ring and in the pasture. i dont know about all of you but i would take that Stockman donor or any other of their donors anyday of the week. they keep lining trump on trump because guess what.... it works! <rock>  people use what wins and works. maybe start using what works and it will help out??  (lol) they make money... and thats what the idustry is about! <beer>
Show cattle are less then 5% of the total beef industry. No real beef cattle business will tolerate calving issues at birth.. none.  Sorry I just dont take advice from a show ring breeder.

Okotoks

Ease of calving is important but in the beef industry it's just one of many selection criteria, if it wasn't we would all be raising jerseys.

kfacres

Okotoks said:
Ease of calving is important but in the beef industry it's just one of many selection criteria, if it wasn't we would all be raising jerseys.

no we wouldn't...  unless we refused to calve in the winter, and stuck soley to summer calving.

dogger said:
To     Cut the b.s.   .....  It is a shame that u are included in the steerplanet forum.  I went back and read your post on many subjects. Why u are allowed on here is beyond me.  Your a walking slander case for steerplanet and yourself.   Shame on u.

I'm hear to create discussion- and make people think outside the box...  shame on you for being here- and shame on you for not standing up for yourself-- and striving to be different.  

CBowlin said:
as long as i can remember. <beer>

you must have not been around very long-- I for one have not been in the shorthorn breed for much length of time---but even i remember a pre SULL era.

D

dogger

Trumps b.w. Epd  is  4lbs.   About 2 lbs over breed ave...... With across breed b.w.  Epd's he is still 3 lbs less then the charl. Breed average. They seem to have a excellent comm. Bull trade.     Does any one on steerplanet in the shorty breed do their due diligence or u just jump on each other. .

kfacres

dogger said:
Trumps b.w. Epd  is  4lbs.   About 2 lbs over breed ave...... With across breed b.w.  Epd's he is still 3 lbs less then the charl. Breed average. They seem to have a excellent comm. Bull trade.     Does any one on steerplanet in the shorty breed do their due diligence or u just jump on each other. .

Char is a terminal breed--- supposed to inject growth- carcass- muscle.. with that comes added BW.  They are a one and done cross never to be seen again, or heard from... just ate...

Shorthorn is a maternal breed-- supposed to provide the mothering foundation- milk, longevity, soundness, cow power... They should remain around for 10-15 years. 

sue

r.n.reed said:
In response to Okotoks comment on that low birthweight Angus bull with the big yearling weight,When the Shorthorn breed was producing those high performing cattle in the early 80's you never heard of calving problems, in fact we were rated the #1 calving ease breed at Marc during that era.

funny even  that frame Score  3 lbs/day was a huge wpda?  Not one bull advertised under a 8 fr ... other then Steermaker ( 7.0 fr the "dink of the 80's)  .   Actualy yw were nothing to brag about in today's toad package...  I recall several 3 yr old "champions " weighing under 2300 lbs...  
Sorry Gary. I have spent the last 2 weeks reading shorthorn countrys of the 80's.  I will look up the Marc article.

thunderdownunder

Everyone's quick to criticise other people's programs here. Do you ever stop to think that people wouldn't be running the programs they are, if they weren't working for them?

We all come from different areas. We all target our own markets. We should ALL be able to appreciate a good animal, whether it fits our individual criteria or not. And we are ALL entitled to our own opinions. I don't think anyone here is going to be swayed as far as their opinion on what the "right" type of animal is. I know I'm not; I'm too stubborn!

I spent four days in Denver. I saw some good cattle there. Despite this, there was only a handful that I would consider using myself. But just because those animals don't tickle my fancy, doesn't mean they don't have a place... obviously, someone is buying and using them, so a market exists for them. I can appreciate these cattle, but just because they're there doesn't mean I personally have to use them. It's called a democracy; we all have the right to pursue our own goals, not one set goal for everybody.

JMHO. I get sick of this back and forth  <deadhorse> Let's see some good discussion and stop shouting each other down. <chill>