is color dominate?

Help Support Steer Planet:

hart

Horns are recessive and poll is dominate….
Is there a color that is dominate over another? 
White faces seem to be dominate in my experience….
Please don’t laugh too loudly at my ignorance.

I ask because black brings more at our sale barn.

xxcc

the black gene is dominant to any other, red, white, grey, orange, etc. "heterozygous broken color patterns(essentially 'heterozygous solid')" but solid with the "overlying" layer can parent a broken pattern calf from a heterozygous solid mating. roaning operates similarly.

CAB

White is dominant over black & red. Black is dominant over red. I can't remember how spot/chrome plays. Anybody?

JSchroeder

It's not just "white" there's the white that comes from a double roan carrier and a white that comes from the Charolais dilution gene.

CAB

I didn't even think of the white roan deal. My bad. That's a whole other can of worms.
I was hoping that you were going to tell me where the spot deal fits in. Brent

Show Heifer

Don't forget the "dilution gene".... that is where rat tails come from and from which most smokies come from.

I haven't figured out the shorthorn color deal. Had a double red cow bred to JPJ and got a smokie calf. Bred a solid white heifer to Copyright and got a barely blue roan. Red heifer to JPJ and got a red and white. Red  cow bred to black bull and got a red roan. Red heifer to Outcast and got a solid white... go figure!  Sure is fun to see the combinations!

jbw

A hereford white face is dominant. You will Always have a baldy out of a purebred herf.

jbw

If you breed a hereford to ANYTHING it will have a white face.

Show Heifer

In theory Totten, yes.
But then again, I bred a black cow to a "double red, double polled" bull and got a red horned calf..... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

carl s.

In theory, one in a million mutations happen.

But then again, straws of semen are mixed up and bulls jump fences.

randiliana

Here's a link for you. I did this up, hoping it would be helpful.
http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

To start off, dominant means you only need one gene for the trait to be expressed
Recessive means that you need 2 genes (Homozygous) for the trait to be expressed. Recessive is where you get the surprises, like a red calf out of two black parents, or a spotted calf out of 2 solid parents. Recessive genes can hide for generations. If a cow is carrying a recessive gene, she would pass it on 50% of the time, but you would never know, until she was bred to another carrier who passed the gene on also, whether she carried the gene or not.

Black is dominant to red, these are the base colors (there's another base color too, it's called the "wild type") EVERY animal is either RED, BLACK or WILD colored. All other colors are the result of another set of genes working IN ADDITION TO the base coat color.
Black is like Black Angus
Red is like Red Angus or Hereford
Wild is like Jersey, Tarentaise and it is also found somewhat in the Angus and Red Angus breeds.

Dilution, thats where you get your greys and tans works in addition to black or red. There are several different dilution genes..
Roan is dominant to solid color, and if it's homo, you get white.
Some spot genes are dominant to solid, and some are recessive.
Hereford pattern (baldy) is dominant to solid
Spots like Shorthorn, Holstien and Simmental are recessive.
Spots like Longhorn, White park and some others (Color sided) are dominant.
Brindle is dominant to solid colored

husker1

Interesting twist here, guys.

We had a Simmental bull that DNA'd homozygous black on our sale a few years ago....The guy that bought him called the next year and 1/2 the calves were red.  Thought we must've made a mistake on the bull.  DNA'd him again....same result.  Homo-black.  Parent confirmed the red calves; yep, they are out of him.

Confusion sets in.

After many more tests, studying, research, etc. by the Simmental Association, it was traced back to a red Simmental bull named Red Charlie.  This bull had very black pigment, though he was a dark, cherry red.  Some type of mutation started with this bull in that he was red in color but actually carried a black gene....which should not be possible!

To take that a step farther, the donor cow mother of the bull calf that we sold (a direct daughter of Red Charlie) had had a handful of red calves.  Guess what....her DNA says she's homozygous black.

A one in a million chance probably.

You never can be 100% sure with genetics.

CAB

Thanks Randiliana for the informative post.
  Anyone able to explain the Holstein X Hereford baldie everytime?