Michael Vick being allowed to play football. Good or Bad

Help Support Steer Planet:

GONEWEST

mmmmmmmmmm.......................... I think it'd be unfair and probably unconstitutional to keep him from playing. No matter your thoughts on what he did, people have killed people and not suffered the total punishment this guy has. Next, if you and Arthur Blank and the comish think that he is the only guy in football that has had anything to do with fighting dogs,  (clapping)  (lol)  I'd love for you and them to go in together to buy some of this swamp land I have for sale or maybe even this bridge I've been trying to move. It's a culture. Be thankful that most of you live in rural areas and have never even seen "the hood."

While no one loves or respects animals more than I, I feel that some among us have placed animals, especially wildlife, horses and pets, at a level above humanity. It is believed worse to kill a dog than a person. While there is no denying the hideousness of what he was involved with, I think that spending time in prison and losing millions of dollars plus public humiliation is punishment enough.

Not long ago there was a feature article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution about how the roosters raised in Georgia were highly valued in fights in Mexico and since the recent laws concerning transportation of "Game" roosters across state lines have been enacted, they were having trouble getting them back to Mexico. A man who worked in the same company I did several years ago used to go to Louisiana and New Mexico to legal cock fights and make from $10,000-$30,000 a trip. When I heard that 15 years ago he paid $12,000 for a breeding rooster, it got my attention. There is nothing different about what this guy did than what Vick did in my view. One was legal, one was not. Now it has been outlawed in all states, but I bet that most weekends here if I asked around I could find out where the "chicken fight" was going on that weekend. From time to time the sheriff raids these places and writes tickets to those who he catches. No one keeps them from returning to their jobs the next Monday, they spend no time in jail and the instigators usually pay $250 in fines. What they do is just as bad as what Vick did, yet we have placed a higher penalty on him because he was involved with a different animal.

If you'd like to make the point that these "chicken fighters" that I speak of are not role models for children as are NFL stars, I would say that the fact that ball players are role models for our children is our fault. Our society has elevated celebrities to that status when in fact they are mere mortals who make mistakes and do stupid things just as everyone else. Our role models should be our service men and women, our teachers, our first responders, our pastors and not someone who just by the grace of God is able to run faster or throw a ball harder than someone else.

Let him play. He payed the debt society placed on him. What he did was not a capital offense.

simtal

He should play.This case, like anything conflict today, was completely overblown by the liberal media, and this whole dog fighting deal is peanuts compared to more serious issues, such as:

Leonard Little killed a woman while drunk driving. What did he get? 90 days of probation. A couple months later he gets pulled over for DUI. And he still currently plays.

Donte Stallworth killed a pedestrian in his bentley. What'd he get? 30 days in jail, plus 1,000 hours of community service, 2 years of house arrest, and 8 years probation.

Darryl Strawberry, rap sheet longer than a well rope, but still played.

Lifetime ban for killing dogs but not people, yeah real strong argument there.

JbarL

i'm really waiting to see the outcome of the big  "fighting canary" ring they just busted ??.....whats up with that.??...clip there wings and "let  em' go at it" ..... in what a casarole dish/ bathtub/ shoe box??  is this real ...or is it just another "dwarf bowling", infraction??...2 ounce killin' machines...takes a pretty rough bunch to be in that business   :eek:   ??         jbarl

OH Breeder

JbarL said:
i'm really waiting to see the outcome of the big  "fighting canary" ring they just busted ??.....whats up with that.??...clip there wings and "let  em' go at it" ..... in what a casarole dish/ bathtub/ shoe box??  is this real ...or is it just another "dwarf bowling", infraction??...2 ounce killin' machines...takes a pretty rough bunch to be in that business   :eek:   ??         jbarl

Hey that was right here in good old Columbus. I tried breeding them. But I just couldn't take all the feathers.

herefordfootball

I know there have been more severe cases with less penalty, but those people should have served more time also. It costs money to have him in jail and I dont beleive in setting him free, so you take it from there on what my opinion is on what should be done with him.

So lets let him out so he can become a valuable part of our society, ya right.  ;)

linnettejane

all i have to say is...............jesus payed the price and died for my sins so i could have a second chance.....

herefordfootball

knabe said:
lowann said:
Vick is nothing more than a Ghetto thug.

so is most of football and basketball.  that's why they haven't got my dollar for years.  didn't take vick for me to notice that.

Keywords MOST OF. Check out some of the stuff peyton and eli manning do for kids. Peyton has a hospital down in Indianapolis where I get my surgeries, it is the best run, best staffed, cleanest facility, I have been to, and I've been to a lot of hospitals. There are always the good, but sadly there is also the bad.

JbarL

herefordfootball said:
I know there have been more severe cases with less penalty, but those people should have served more time also. It costs money to have him in jail and I dont beleive in setting him free, so you take it from there on what my opinion is on what should be done with him.

So lets let him out so he can become a valuable part of our society, ya right.  ;)

i believe a couple of his charges involved conspiricy.( rackatering)...if thats so....he will never own much of anything ....the irs will own everything he will ever have.....maybe go to cleveland ...or philly??...jbarl

bcosu

why not let him play? he paid his price. like someone said before, ray lewis killed a guy and he is going to go to the hall of fame when he retires. do i think he should earn the 10 million dollar salary he expects? no because i never thought that he was that good of a quarterback just an amazing athlete that played there.

if you want to get technical, how many cows has heat wave killed by throwing big calves and he is still being used. if you didn't want michael vick to make the money that he did and spent on the dogfighting then you shouldn't have paid for his merchandise watched him in person or on tv. if the falcons didn't make any money off him then he wouldn't have spent the money on the dogfighting stuff.

herefordfootball

cbcfarms said:
if you want to get technical, how many cows has heat wave killed by throwing big calves and he is still being used.

Bad Heat Wave!!!! Bad!!! You shouldve made your calves smaller, your goin to club calf jail!!! Bad!

Heat Wave has no control over his genetic material, mike vick has control over wether or not he fights dogs.

BIGTEX

If a team wants to draw that much attention to themselves then more power to them. He has served his time. There are players in the NFL that have killed people.

bcosu

herefordfootball said:
cbcfarms said:
if you want to get technical, how many cows has heat wave killed by throwing big calves and he is still being used.

Bad Heat Wave!!!! Bad!!! You shouldve made your calves smaller, your goin to club calf jail!!! Bad!

Heat Wave has no control over his genetic material, mike vick has control over wether or not he fights dogs.
i think you are missing the point. people don't have to use heat wave and they still do. he is just good enough that the big calves don't matter. michael vick is good enough that you accept the baggage.

GoWyo

What about breeders who intentionally use HW knowing that there is a high probability of the calf having to be pulled out the side?  Isn't that kind of cruel?  I won't do it to my cows.  What makes those breeders better than Michael Vick?

bcosu

GoWyo said:
What about breeders who intentionally use HW knowing that there is a high probability of the calf having to be pulled out the side?  Isn't that kind of cruel?  I won't do it to my cows.  What makes those breeders better than Michael Vick?

exactly.

herefordfootball

cbcfarms said:
herefordfootball said:
cbcfarms said:

i think you are missing the point. people don't have to use heat wave and they still do. he is just good enough that the big calves don't matter. michael vick is good enough that you accept the baggage.

Then dont blame heat wave blame the people who use him, hmmm... some of the best breeders in the country.

jlingle

The guy did the crime, fessed up & did his time.  I say let him do what he wants.  If it's play football, then power to him.  I hope he succeeds beyond everybody's wild imaginations.  Just my own little ignorant opinion.

bcosu

jlingle said:
The guy did the crime, fessed up & did his time.  I say let him do what he wants.  If it's play football, then power to him.  I hope he succeeds beyond everybody's wild imaginations.  Just my own little ignorant opinion.

i would hardly call it an ignorant opinion. sounds like you aren't holding a grudge which is good.

justintime

I think the guy should be allowed to play. As was said in previous posts, he has served the penalty society gave him, and he should be allowed to persue his life again. There are several bad asses in pro sports, and he is just another. If he comes back and does the right things, I think he could turn into a real role model, but if he gets in trouble again, he is toast. It should be no different for him as it is for anyone else. The guy has got talent, but he grew up in an area where he learned some bad behavior.Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes.

We have several dog trainers from the southern US that come here every year to train dogs. One family has come here from Georgia every year since the mid 30s. They spend their summers here and head home in the fall. I have become very good friends with a dog trainer from Alabama who purchased a small farm close to me. He just arrived this week with about 15 dogs. He always has a few dogs that are trained to kill. They are used in hunting coons and/ or coyotes,and they are sent out when the animal is close to being captured, to kill it. I have often wondered about the ethics in this, and it is not something I would ever do or be a part of, but I know it is considered to be an ordinary part of the hunt. I sometimes wonder how Michael Vick's actions, were much worse.