Monopoly

Help Support Steer Planet:

farwest

What has anyone heard on birthweights and quality.  Is the dam side purebred angus.?

Chap

i have heard of a couple.  Buddy of mne has had 2.  Both heifers 6-7 days early weighing right at 80 lbs out of Sim/angus cows.  good hip, boxy, shag haired. pretty nice by reports so far. time will tell.  Said they are pretty compact and as hairy as any he has ever had.

farwest

Thought of using him instead of jacking out heatwaves, probably needs used on higher percentage chi or maine cows i would think.

Chap

that is exactly what I did last year.  Should have a few myself in the next couple weeks.  only 2 coming due on 3/12 and 3/14.  Also have some of McKay's Unforgiven and Point Taken's coming that I am kinda excited about. 

Throttle

farwest said:
Thought of using him instead of jacking out heatwaves, probably needs used on higher percentage chi or maine cows i would think.

I have only seen a couple, one that sticks out as really good won the show in Springfield, OH last weekend. My thought on the bulls out of this Touchstone Angus cow (Monopoly, All Aboard, Headliner) was always the same as yours, HW x PB Angus doesn't equal enough "look" so put him on a freaky built cow. That might be how the one in Springfield was made. He was olut of a Heatseeker cow

lowann

We have two coming this year. One due today, and the other due March 30th. We saw several calves out of him last spring. They looked good.

4B Live

Not too get off the topic too much, but for those of you that have used Monopoly what frame size cows did you breed to?  I have some really short cows that are hairy and big boned but way too short. I was wanting to try Monopoly on them but I can't lose any more frame size, any suggestions would be appreciated. Most of these cows are Irish Whiskey daughters if that helps

cowz

I would try one and see what you get....BUT,,,,we have been using him with the attempt to get a smaller steer to have a finished product steer for those light weight state fair classes.  Imho, they are more compact style calves.  Don't use him if you are looking for a calf that will finish at 1300#.  We had a couple last year and really like the ones we have had so far.  We have used him on medium framed cows.

LFI

Have 4 so far 3 out of angus cows 1 out of a meyer daughter 85 to 90 lbs.

lowann

lowann said:
We have two coming this year. One due today, and the other due March 30th. We saw several calves out of him last spring. They looked good.
We got our 1st Monopoly calf last night. A bull, 84 lbs, born unassisted from our XFL cow. He looks pretty good, time will tell.
Solid black, lots of hair, and pretty thick for just being one day old.
I'll give him some time, and take a few pictures.
We have a Cookie Monster cow that is due the 8th of March. She is bred to Heatwave. Same breeding as McKay's Unforgiven.
Very anxious for that one!

angusbreed

Just an update, sold a monopoly calf for 11,700 to a jock last month.  I don't weigh, but his birthweight was about 90lbs, came out hairy, wide, and stout.  Calf was headed down south.

bcosu

Throttle said:
farwest said:

I have only seen a couple, one that sticks out as really good won the show in Springfield, OH last weekend. My thought on the bulls out of this Touchstone Angus cow (Monopoly, All Aboard, Headliner) was always the same as yours, HW x PB Angus doesn't equal enough "look" so put him on a freaky built cow. That might be how the one in Springfield was made. He was olut of a Heatseeker cow

from what i understand, that calf was pretty much a surprise. he is still green but still really good. he's not super freaky in any way but is just cool enough to get the job done. probably what my guess would be about monopoly since he is out of an angus cow. good thing though would be that he might be a little more consistent cause of the half blood angus in him.

shortdawg

I went through a group of them last week and they were all pretty cool looking. Lots of hair, bone, and thickness. Looks like he really chunks them up.

CAB

Anyone have any good All Aboard or Headliner calves? Aren't both of them flushmates to Monopoly? Brent

Throttle

I know they are full sibs, wether they are flushmates or not. I saw a couple All Aboards last year. They were both sound, good ribbed, thick enough, needed bone and hair, maybe stretched out a bit thru the middle and neck, but that was only 2 calves at one place. All Aboard is the TH free one of the three

CAB

Thanks Throttle. I was hoping that some had seen some good All Aboards B/C of him being clean. I'm going to wait until the whole train comes in B4 I jump on it as far as Monopoly is concerned. It sounds like there will be plenty of others that are going to jump on early. I usually wait until it's GONE.

lowann

We had our second Monopoly calf today. Another bull, this one 92 lbs, born unassisted from our Meyer 734 Granddaughter.
Lots of bone, hair. Looks like he will be a thick one.
Time will tell. They both have lots of growing to do, and allot can happen in four months!