New Angus Ads (no need for crossbreeding)

Help Support Steer Planet:

Limiman12

Like Tyler said, not trying to bash angus, they obviously have a place in the breed, but marketing has expanded that place, just like this new ad.  The largest marketing budget sets the perception.  There will always be a niche for moderate framed, calving ease heavy muscled cattle that can convert feed to product.

mccannfarms

You can't bash limi's as a whole breed on disposition anymore if you have been around any number at all of them recently. Yes there are man eaters, but they exist in every breed and are the exception to the rule. We have limi cows that you can literally walk up to in the field and milk them just standing there, no feed pan, no halter... (now those are cattle with disposition problems...  ;) )

We run both Limi and angus and our Lim-flex calves are our best. They weigh off better, have more vigor, and overall are great calves... and that could be the reason that we have hauled steers to market and topped the sale. Yes angus cattle are easier to sell in terms of breeding stock especially bulls because the marketing geniuses at the association have all but brainwashed a lot of producers to think that it is the only way to go, but the continental British cross is one that is hard to beat and will and should always have a place in the cattle industry. The angus association saying that there is no need to crossbreed is smart for them but also very greedy to the point of being detrimental to the industry. They already have a majority of a share of at least 50% of a calf's genetics so why not go for 100%

chambero

Perception is often practical reality and that really is what most of the big commercial outfits think of when you mention Limousin in my part of the world.  You guys have some work to do to change that perception.

You'll probably have to wait for a generation of old men to die off.  But hey, they do consider Limis a notch better than Chis.  You can really get them stirred up if you mention them in the coffee shop.

Mill Iron A

Our yg system discounts for heavier carcass weights and only measures muscle at the 12 and 13 rib, have you noticed angus carcass cattle have a huge loin but break right behind the shoulder? The entire loin is great eating, I personally prefer tri tip myself hut the point os we are missing the boat on a yg standpoint. Quality is ok for now, wish we would have a more commercial way to measure tenderness on these animals because limis and chars would ring the bell here.  Now I have a bunch of friends in the angus deal, I help several smaller guys buy bulls and help do matings so I'm far from just looking over the fence at this deal and the angus breed offers a lot.  Where I gt upset is the elite attitude many have about it.  I like what was said earlier in terms of variety, I hope we can have several breeds around because it is nice to have. I travel to a lot of sales and help buy bulls and yes this is a problem in a lot of breeds but the blacks have it pretty bad.... Upright pattern that pops, straight and stiff hock, frail and narrow pinned.  The worst part is nobody notices or cares because it is not an epd.  Will angus red or black always have a majority of blood in the us? Yes but it is foolish and snobbish to not give a nod toward crossbreeding.

sizzler14

If angus was the far superior breed in this world, #1 they would be the only breed. #2 Why would they let other breeds into the CAB?

sizzler14

chambero said:
Most breeds have good things to offer, but some of you are painfully jealous of Angus.  All of the British breeds will be more preferred in the commercial side in an era of high feed and drought.

Limis aren't even in the conversation for the majority of commercial outfits - the true red limis are way too ornery and spooky to put up with.  You can get the same muscle from Simis or Charolais without the attitude.
I remember when Black Angus had a reputation for being "nutty". None of mine are, along with none of my simmys and I have clipped some chars that I would let my boy show when he is 6. Also I worked with a limm outfit at a state fair once, #1 they were supreme over all breeds (they were unbelievable) and #2 the craziest they got was licking you to death. lets leave what they said in the 70's and 80's alone. I think we can all look at a pic from then and say cattle changed.

obie105

DiamondCattleCo said:
If angus was the far superior breed in this world, #1 they would be the only breed. #2 Why would they let other breeds into the CAB?

I agree that CAB is just marketing. Shoot if a holstein has enough black and can grade it cab be CAB. Its the furthest thing from angus.

Limiman12

Thanks diamond cattle  mill iron.....  Like I said if you haven't OBJECTIVELY looked at the breed in a while you can not talk about the disposition.  The disposition issue rose from limousins rapid growth.....  There was one or two of the original imports that did throw crazy calves, but because of the other things limis had to offer they were tolerated while the breed was the fastest growing for over a decade.  Once the demand for growth slowed down, disposition problems were gradually weeded out.....  In dogs look at any breed that wins Westminster.....  The dog wins, the breed becomes popular and suddenly a lot of dogs get bred that shouldn't while the real breeders in the breed cringe......

Here is a link to my Facebook pic of my daughter, age five, watching a gate, and at age four holding our bull......

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4670394877470&set=a.2383016334436.2110097.1221565831&type=1&theater

hamburgman

Since when does carcass price have the biggest impact on cow/calf profits?  Isn't feed the largest cost and the largest variable in profitability?

chambero

If you want to start talking commercial, you can't compare the animals that get lots of human contact to ones that get thrown out in a several thousand acre pasture and touched a couple of times per year.  The relative docility of British breeds has always been a big selling point.  Low maintenance - easy to handle, lack of chronic problems (ie pinkeye) - is always big to those guys.  I dont think Angus would have ever passed Herefords if not for pinkeye.

Angus may not be the best in very many caregories, but the average Angus cow and her calf is pretty problem free which counts for a lot to those guys.  The average angus bull is pretty problem free - cows can have their calves unassisted, they are pretty easy to handle, etc.

The common animal from a european breed never got over some of those humps is why Angus are where they are.  The mktg would have never worked if the old man in the pasture didnt like them.  He's not feeding them out of buckets - he doesnt want to mess wigh them any more than he has to.

KSanburg

frostback said:
ty378 said:
why is it that a lot of breeds have used angus to make there breed better,

A lot of breeds used angus to make them black to cash in on the CAB dollars. They did not use them to make their breeds "better".

(clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

HAB

Mtnman said:
frostback said:
ty378 said:

A lot of breeds used angus to make them black to cash in on the CAB dollars. They did not use them to make their breeds "better".

and some breeds didn't have to use Angus to get black, or meet CAB.  O0

KSanburg

HAB said:
Mtnman said:
frostback said:
ty378 said:

and some breeds didn't have to use Angus to get black, or meet CAB.   O0
Point taken HAB and some used Galloway's to get black as well.

garybob

You think, maybe, that the Angus Association knows that with high calf prices, that folks will use Angus-based Composite Bulls for a few years? ie, Balancer, Simmangus, and LimFlex.

GB

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

Very interest video. Really the American Angus Association has geniouses on marketing department.
Some points;
- Population will increase in numbers, by consequence more food will to be necessary. MORE FOOD means more GRAIN (corn, soybean...) for humans, so this grain that, today, is provide for feed cattle in US will to be move for other consuption, including your!
- Cattle will to be move for marginal areas, where the giants Chis, Chars, Maines, Limies, Simmies and almost all Anguses lines will not work, as for keep a 1400 pounds cow calving and a 1700 pounds steers is impossible without grain.
- Last point, I learnt that numbers and statistics are easy to manage as we wish. Today Brazil and Argentina produce less meat than US, OK. But our cattle is ALL on grass fields, all means...that all entire herd of  cows, steers, calves and bulls are placed on farms, on the fields, eating grass, as ruminants that they are. So, take all US feed lots, close them, and put all steers on fram grass for finish as here. After this, please remake the numbers and tell me again.
Thanks.