NEW TO THE SHORTHORN BREED HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortdawg

He told me he had bred around 100 cows so I would think there will be a lot of them on the ground this spring.

OH Breeder

aj said:
The Hc timeline bull shows one calf registered out him. Might work well on the female in question. If we could see 3 or 4 calves out of him his accuracy on epd's would improve and we could get a better handle him. I'm not sure if Canadian cattle show up on the asa computer search deal or not. Surely a 20,000$ bull would have more trhan one calf registered. Does the canadians have a website deal?

How many Commercial cattle people register their herd? Seriously.

aj

Do the Canadian Papers list bwt's or just a calving code? I couldn't read the french words on the web site deal.

aj

What would be cool is that the guy who bred the 1,000 head of commercial cows to the Timeline bull could enter or sell to enter these Timeline cattle in feedlot situations. It would be a great data deal for the Shorthorn breed in both Canada and the USA and the world. I know I chuckle to myself when cattle buyers discount the Shorthorn calves in the ring. If these calves are born in the spring I may have some buyers lined up. Even if we could only put together 6 to 7 hundred calves we could put the rubber to the road and do some serious data stuff. Cost of gain is pretty reasonable right now. if we could get the country of origin papers filled out I think we may have something going here. Similar to the shorthorn feedout program in progress as we speak.

justintime

Timeline is owned by 7 breeders other than myself. I kept and interest when I sold him, and own an equal share with the others. The commercial man who purchased a share, is one of our best bull buyers, and he buys 7 - 10 bulls a year. He purchased 9 bulls in our Sun Country Bull Sale that averaged over $3550. He likes good bulls and he really likes what Shorthorns bulls are doing on his mainly Angus X cows.  He does not AI any cows but he purchased a share... just because he liked the bull and he wanted to have some fun ( his words not mine). I have only had two Timeline calves myself, as I have not AI'd any cows in the past two years except for the ET we do. Last year we flushed 18 donors through the summer. I will be flushing some more donors to Timeline this year. As a yearling, Timeline was used in four herds naturally. As a two year old he was  used in one herd, as the group decided they would like to show him. His show career is now over and he will see much more use. Our one Timeline son is doing very good in our bull test, indexing 111 for ADG and 116 for WPDA, after 56 days on test. He looks much like Timeline did at that age only may be thicker made.

There is also an Angus bull test held at the same place where our bull test it. For the third year now, the Shorthorns have out gained the Angus and did this on less pounds of feed.... significantly less feed. I find it interesting how different areas have different preferences in what are acceptable feeder cattle. Here where I live, Shorthorn and Shorthorn crosses are not discounted, even the roans and whites... providing they are thick and have some fleshing ability. This is greatly helping us get more and more people willing to consider using Shorthorn bulls again.

jason

aj said:
John...I am so glad you have posted also. You have a great family. You have a friendly outfit. Criticism toward is very unjust and filled with jealouscy. You have moved the breed forward at  a breath taking rate. I wish every breed had dedicted breeders like you to move the breed forward. Thank you John. I love you man. Keep up the good work. And god bless the Shorthorn breed and as far as that goes the entire North American continent. And give us now are daily bread. Bread made from grain that ffa'rs have given their lives for. Let us as Democrats and republicans work together to improve the lives of our fellow man. In the name of our jesus....amen....amen....and please.....please...remember the less fortunate people out there......that have never won the great purple ribbon in the world of forever and hope and forgiveness. God bless America for which it stands...one nation under God indivisable by only even numbers. And let us forgive the the people who raise black cattle....for the know what not they have done.....amen.

:-\  Uncalled for.  Regardless of who it is, it goes completely against of what steerplanet is about, helping other members out.  I know their are squabbles on this board, but I don't think it is fair to criticize someone who just joined and is just providing helpful information.

knabe

i think i got a thanks out of aj for pointing out registerd calves out of timeline, and i think that will stick with him for a while, so i actually think that will be a turning point and maybe me aj and justintime can have an ice tea and talk about something else besides shorthorns.

jason

knabe said:
i think i got a thanks out of aj for pointing out registerd calves out of timeline, and i think that will stick with him for a while, so i actually think that will be a turning point and maybe me aj and justintime can have an ice tea and talk about something else besides shorthorns.

The squabbles are fine, as long as they don't cross the line.  I just don't want them to extend to new members, regardless of who it is.  I have overlooked a lot of those "report to moderator" alerts that I get, but I just don't think it is fair to mock a guy who was just posting advice.

aj

I guess what I don't understand on the 20,000$ bull deal is several things. I assume the group of 8 breeders have one person bid. So was the runner up bidder a syndicate.....they bid 19,000$ or a single breeder. Did they bid in increments of 100$ or 1000$ or what. The bull is so good you have 3 or 4 sydicates bidding on a bull like this? How can a yearling bull breed naturally in 4 herds at once. Good luck with the board. I didn't see Shadylane mention the Timeline bull in there herdsires on the website and they listed 10 or so. I shall cease and desist.

garybob

aj said:
I guess what I don't understand on the 20,000$ bull deal is several things. I assume the group of 8 breeders have one person bid. So was the runner up bidder a syndicate.....they bid 19,000$ or a single breeder. Did they bid in increments of 100$ or 1000$ or what. The bull is so good you have 3 or 4 sydicates bidding on a bull like this? How can a yearling bull breed naturally in 4 herds at once. Good luck with the board. I didn't see Shadylane mention the Timeline bull in there herdsires on the website and they listed 10 or so. I shall cease and desist.
1.) Back to the original question: I had a cow, BFS Maggie 231*x , that was very closely related to Ol' Heide, on the bottom side. In fact, they came from the same herd. Paul Bridwell is a good breeder of practical cattle. You have a good, fescue-adapted cow, that can walk on rocks. Don't mess her up.

2.)  ****aj & JIT*** If Y'uns don't quite Yer damn fightin' I'm a coming in with my belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GB

frostback

aj said:

GET OVER IT YOU JEALOUS PIECE OF CRAP
It has been 2 years since he sold the bull. MOVE ON.

sue

In regard s to the original question:
CW Shorthorn- you should really try to get your hands on CF Solution semen - he is a trait leader for BW ( -1.3) puts him  in the top 5% of the entire breed???? Based on the Pen show and the hill  show in Denver  - he is a sure bet from  calving ease to purple. I wish you the best of luck in the breed- latest epds just posted at ASA. CF Solution was born in 2003 so accuracy should be high - lord knows there are alot of sons in production too.

Status
Not open for further replies.