OK Planeteers.....Time 2 USE Your Brain AGAIN.........

Help Support Steer Planet:

earl

San Angelo has a heifer futurity for the kids.  They are scored on showmanship, judge two classes of heifers, talk one set of reasons on the class and give a sales talk on their heifer to a panel of judges.  It is broken down into juniors and seniors.  All scores added up for a buckle and money.

jbh

SWMO said:
The one good thing that has come out of our area in quite awhile is the cash award at the Ozark Empire Fair for the Grand Champion Bred and Owned.  I liked it a whole lot better when they had a supreme drive for the bred and owned. separate from the supreme female drive.  This at least rewards those kids that put more into their project than just money to buy a heifer.  It still have its faults but you know that the animal was more likely in the possession of the junior that is showing it.

The problem that we are struggling with at the county level on a bred and owned steer class is how do you prove past the honesty of the individuals that the animals is bred and owned or county raised?  Those that want to cheat will find a way to cheat.  Registered animals are easier due to the trail of ownership on the papers.  We have discussed a county bred steer champion but have not proceeded.  Although I hate to tell some of those people that the same kids will still win.  It takes more than money to raise, feed and fit an animal.  It also takes dedication on someones part (hopefully the kids) to be out there every day rinsing, feeding and grooming.

Time to fill us in jbh on your idea

Can't tell you just yet, because we're getting too many GREAT IDEAS brought out to stop......'cause when I tell you mine, it's DRASTICALLY going to NARROW the scope.

RA Drover has came the closest to what I'm thinking......and the key word is GOOFY!  Why?  Because kids like to be goofy.  This event I've got in mind is STRICTLY meant to be FUN and at the same time STRETCHING their imagination in different areas.......hopefully resulting in something the kids would remember for years......and help strengthen several key areas that they'll face in the real world.

I like ALL the different program ideas......however we ALL KNOW that GENERALLY the program is ONLY as good as the management running it.....

Here's a few clues as to what my contest would include.....

1) Text messaging (Communication)
2) Marketing (Salesmanship)
3) Fitting and Clipping (duh)
4) DESIGN......(here in lies the key)

GoWyo

jbh said:
GoWyo said:
A big part of it will be to make the prizes worth the effort of the contest so that it is not just a side show.  Another thing that comes to mind is that cattle jackpot shows are like the old team ropings before the handicap system.  The few studs out there would win every time, so the folks that were pretty good, but not good enough to run with the top end quit going -- no fun donating your entry fees all the time.  If there was a way to handicap the steer shows and create divisions based on how much you paid for your calf or something like that (OK that would probably never work) then perhaps it could work.  Another way would be the "division" system used in the barrel racing game to split divisions and allow similar quality cattle to compete against each other within the show.

LIKE THAT......this is WHAT I'm talkin about.....not even CLOSE to what I'm thinking, BUT, we're getting started..... there will be alot of food for thought come out of this topic before it's over, I'm bettin'!

On the "division" idea, how it could work is that classes are broken by hip height or weight and jackpot show is run.  The top two from each class are called back for the Division 1 grand drive -- grand, reserve and whatever places are paid are shown and done.  Then the Division 2 grand drive is held consisting of all the calves that were 3rd and 4th in their classes.  This gives them a chance to compete without the hot rods.  If the prizes are half the value of the Division 1 prizes, there is still incentive to enter up and give it a shot.  Like any show, it depends who shows up, but it should be  kind of hard to game the system by making your calf look like crap so you can pull into the 3rd hole in the class and then do a fancier fitting job to go into the Division 2 grand drive.

Torch

JBH we were at the show Saturday. My son had what was left of his mohawk haircut (he's on the swim team at school and the team all does way out cuts before league championships). He had thought it would have been fun leaving his hair spiked and then spiking his heifers to look the same way. Now that's goofy. ;D

But that is how teenagers think.

jbh

GoWyo said:
jbh said:
GoWyo said:
A big part of it will be to make the prizes worth the effort of the contest so that it is not just a side show.  Another thing that comes to mind is that cattle jackpot shows are like the old team ropings before the handicap system.  The few studs out there would win every time, so the folks that were pretty good, but not good enough to run with the top end quit going -- no fun donating your entry fees all the time.  If there was a way to handicap the steer shows and create divisions based on how much you paid for your calf or something like that (OK that would probably never work) then perhaps it could work.  Another way would be the "division" system used in the barrel racing game to split divisions and allow similar quality cattle to compete against each other within the show.

LIKE THAT......this is WHAT I'm talkin about.....not even CLOSE to what I'm thinking, BUT, we're getting started..... there will be alot of food for thought come out of this topic before it's over, I'm bettin'!

On the "division" idea, how it could work is that classes are broken by hip height or weight and jackpot show is run.  The top two from each class are called back for the Division 1 grand drive -- grand, reserve and whatever places are paid are shown and done.  Then the Division 2 grand drive is held consisting of all the calves that were 3rd and 4th in their classes.  This gives them a chance to compete without the hot rods.  If the prizes are half the value of the Division 1 prizes, there is still incentive to enter up and give it a shot.  Like any show, it depends who shows up, but it should be  kind of hard to game the system by making your calf look like crap so you can pull into the 3rd hole in the class and then do a fancier fitting job to go into the Division 2 grand drive.

Also for the Division 2 side (for lack of a better name, which you might actually need) .....make the scoring or judging based, say 50% on calf and 50% on presentation and showmanship.....

Let the big boys go ahead and play their game.....UNINTERRUPTED....but put a carrot at the end of the stick for the others.  NOW....don't get me wrong.....I believe COMPETITION is COMPETITION......but if we don't start doing something that EVERYONE can feel like they got their BANG for their BUCK......I'm afraid it's gonna get a little SCARCE!

jbh

Torch said:
JBH we were at the show Saturday. My son had what was left of his mohawk haircut (he's on the swim team at school and the team all does way cuts before league championships). He had thought it would have been fun leaving his hair spiked and then spiking his heifers to look the same way. Now that's goofy. ;D

But that is how teenagers think.

EXACTLY!!!!.......

jbw

How about "drawing" for a TEAM say 4 kids, They are the only ones that can help each other and show the calves, They can be in ring B, Don't want to take away from the families that have the means and abilities for getting it done year after year, but to have a team, that can work together and get it done.

Maybe, you can have a team that has a virtual scenerio that they have to put together a plan, maybe 50 cows, how to breed 'em, market 'em and make money.

Good ideas, can't wait to hear Mr. Hookmans ideas!   This WILL be interesting!

dlc

How about this, let's start keeping track of a bulls offsprings show record and create a show ring epd, and we a bulls epd gets high enough a certain amount of the revenue generated form that bull will go into a fund . That fund would be split two ways, one for scholarships for the kids who are already showing and one to help kids that want to show a animal . Maybe some kind of futurity of new bulls could be setup to help young bulls gain a better epd quicker. I know this is way out there but this industry raises alot of revenue and we have few requirements" I'm talking stricktly club calf" , somehow more money needs to get back to the kids.  One more idea, how about a two day show at some of these bigger shows for first time kids only. Day one is spent with a volunteer off of one of these best fitter posts getting ther calf ready, Day two is showing with big premiums from breeders and feed/show supply companies.

ZNT

I am seeing a program very similar the National Western Catch-a-Calf contest, except without the corporate sponsors.  A pool of 20-50 steers, all bred similar, would be put into a lottery.  Kid's could buy in for say $1800. $1200 would go to the breeders, and the rest would go toward prize money.  A random drawing would take place then for who got which calf.

The kids would have to halter break, feed, clip and fit, and show the calf themselves.  A terminal show could be held where the calves are shown, and compete for part of the prize money, showmanship contest would be held with the calves for prizes, then calves are slaughtered and compete for another part of the prize money.  After all that, a Supreme exhibitor or even Top 5 could be selected for a hefty grand prize for high cumulative points in the live show, showmanship, and carcass contest.

Here in Texas, the selection could be done for fall calves, with the terminal show being held after all the majors and county fairs.  Then kids could either make sales at their regular shows, and/or continue on and compete in the terminal show for the lottery calves.

GoWyo

jbh said:
GoWyo said:
jbh said:
GoWyo said:

Also for the Division 2 side (for lack of a better name, which you might actually need) .....make the scoring or judging based, say 50% on calf and 50% on presentation and showmanship.....

Let the big boys go ahead and play their game.....UNINTERRUPTED....but put a carrot at the end of the stick for the others.  NOW....don't get me wrong.....I believe COMPETITION is COMPETITION......but if we don't start doing something that EVERYONE can feel like they got their BANG for their BUCK......I'm afraid it's gonna get a little SCARCE!

Alright -- you could call this the Consolation Bracket that would be based on something other than just the steer.  This would be really great and the kid could get a substantial reward for their work and knowledge.  In addition, the big boys may have a 3rd place calf in class, so they have the opportunity to compete in the Consolation Bracket as well with a calf that matches up with the next lower tier of calves.  This could at least provide enough incentive to keep the kids going to jackpots and it would not take too much extra effort or show time to pull it off.

kanshow

I have actually seen texting while showing and I'm not sure that is something we want to promote! ;) ;D ;)

Bone2011

At our state fair we have a u-fit-it contest that has become a very prestigious contest. In order to qualify you have to be either grand or reserve in your breed showmanship contest. You can't use anything electric. You get 30 minutes to fit. Then it is a showmanship contest right after you get done fitting. They judge it 50/50 with the fitting then showmanship. Sullivan's sponsors a chute if you win.

kanshow

costume contest!!!  
They could have some fun with that..  

Those llama & alpaca shows have agility courses too..    Can you just see someone walking a steer over a teeter & thru a hula hoop?

jbh

diesel said:
brad did u judge out ther i dont see ur name as being a judge

Yes.....this past weekend at the KSU Kick-off in Huthcinson.....they called me last week after a judge had to cancel on them.

jbh

OK.....here's the ROUGH DRAFT.......subject to a lot of CHANGE......and this is the part where SOME or MOST of you ASSUME I'm SMOKIN' CRACK!... :eek: (lol)

We all know there are SEVERAL different types of KIDS......MOUTHY, QUIET, CONFIDENT or TIMID.....we have ALL of these types everywhere and they all grow up to be US.  A team of four will be assembled....MUCH like fitting contests....and ACTUALLY could follow a fitting contest.

HOWEVER.....for this team you'll need two ARTISTS aka FITTERS.......one COMMUNICATOR.......and one SPOKESMAN...... like MOST BUSINESS OPERATIONS in the real world .....

Each team will need to be set up just like a fitting contest....but the calf could be an ALTERNATE that they just wanted to get out and never intended to show.....THERE WILL BE ABSOLUTELY NO VALUE PLACED ON THE QUALITY OF THE CALF.

ALL of the SPOKESMAN will be taken away from their group into another room or building before the contest starts, where they can't see what is going on.

The other three team members will be given a scenario by contest officials......this is JUST a TOTALLY OFF THE CUFF example of a scenario that I came up with.

"SCENARIO"......The YOUR STATE Beef Producers and the YOUR STATE AG COLLEGE are putting up $10,000 for anyone that can come up with a new MASCOT that's an actual bovine "ACCESORIZED" in the colors and emotions of YOUR STATE AG COLLEGE's FOOTBALL TEAM...... 

Each team will be given a set amount of wash out hair paint (like the kids LOVE at county and state fairs) in the colors of the school they need.......The calves will be fit just like at a show by the fitter or fitters in a set amount of time........after OR while fitting is done, the calf is "ACCESSORIZED" with logo's, stripes, color schemes......WHAT EVER the two ARTISTS aka FITTERS imaginations will allow them to do......ALL OF THIS in a SET AMOUNT of TIME.

Meanwhile.......the COMMUNICATOR is texting the SPOKESMAN.....informing them what the task is, what their team is doing, and BRAINSTORMING on the best slogan for the project to be PRESENTED to a panel by the SPOKESMAN........the panel could be the crowd, OR, three or four officials from the show.......THE SPOKESMAN WILL NOT SEE THE ANIMAL UNTIL IT"S TIME TO SPEAK ABOUT IT.....

The scoring percentages should be broken down into many different categories....with a set amount of points to achieve in EACH CATEGORY......such as originality, quality of artistry, quality of job conveying the message and etc...... AND GIVE AS MANY PRIZES AWAY TO THE KIDS AS POSSIBLE!

I think this would REALLY draw a CROWD of SPECTATORS......and with the UNBELIEVABLY HIGH TALENT LEVELS of some of our youth....might really surprise EVERYONE with the final product!

CHEW ON THIS FOR A WHILE......rip it apart OR run with it.....and AFTER we do this.....I'll tell you the "REST of the STORY!"

GoWyo

Maybe not the crack, but the shrooms.  (clapping)  Sounds intriguing.