exception
thornwood major clark
dearpark leader
highfield highliter?
armageddon trudeau?

?=unsure of name

does anyone have info?

sue

Deerpark Leader - is worth some money, you might have deerpark leader 13th or 18th and the list goes on but a foundation type sh.

Thornwood Major - is a dual purpose sh that was used naturally in MI in the 70's - his dam Royal Dot was one of the first Sh flushed and the story goes on and on. Major sold at age 9 1/2 interest for 16K. We had a major daguther that weighed all of 1700 lbs, deep bodied, enormous udder and everything i dont want in frame but had alot of rib. Her daughter is still the largest framed 2 year old.
If you look him up on asa web page- they dropped the last part of his name "clark" so search for thornwood major. I have ampules in our tank that I paid $30 for in 2005. There are breeders currently searching for this type of bull so let me know if you are interested in selling?

The balance of your list I am not familar with -good luck

Doc

Armageddon trudeau - aka "The Blue Ox" owned by Steve Torgeson in MN & Lazy D Shorthorns in MO at one time.

Highfield Highler maybe- Probably highler 202 , from the list you have most of these bulls were owned at one time by Lazy D Shorthorns in Exselcior Springs, MO. They also owned Deerpark leader 18th.

Attachments

• Highler 202.jpg
    Highler 202.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 326
  • Thornwood Major.jpg
    Thornwood Major.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 483

r.n.reed

In 1977 I bought a 16 yr old bred cow and part of the deal was after she calved I had to return the calf she was carrying to the owner.I then bred the cow to Thornwood Major and the resulting heifer was Sweetheart of the Rodeo the foundation of my Sweetheart cow family.There is a little longevity built into that cow family.

yuppiecowboy

If that truly is the original Deerpark Leader, That is worth a ton. I think is was over $1000 a straw ten years ago or more. I thought I had heard there was no known DL left in existence.

oakview

I know of a gentleman that has some original Deerpark Leader semen.  He won't tell me exactly how much he has.  I would bet that the Leader semen in this tank is 13th or 18th, but you never know.  I didn't know that Lazy D owned Leader 18th.  I remember Hofstrand Shorthorns had him and then I thought Grahams bought the remaining semen inventory later on.  At one time, they had a special for around $10/unit.  I think Trudeau was sired by Pomona, a full brother to Columbus.

garybob

r.n.reed said:
In 1977 I bought a 16 yr old bred cow and part of the deal was after she calved I had to return the calf she was carrying to the owner.I then bred the cow to Thornwood Major and the resulting heifer was Sweetheart of the Rodeo the foundation of my Sweetheart cow family.There is a little longevity built into that cow family.
How many cow families are there in your herd? The Helianthis' are the prettiest ones on your website. Especially the one you sold to Mr. Carlson.

Springtime up there, yet?

GB

r.n.reed

Gary,we have had a nice dry early spring 10 more like this and it will make up for the last 2 years.There are 5 cow families that have been in the herd from the beginning and two families started from cows from the Gafa herd in Canada purchased in the late 90's.The Helianthus came first when I purchased Helianthus 44th from the last crop bred by Frank Haumont in Sept.of 73,2 mo.Later Helianthus 41st was champion female at the Chicago International.32 years later in 2005 I went back to see the herd again and picked out every Helianthus in a bunch of about 35 bred heifers with 1 mistake.It has always fascinated me the ability of bloodlines to maintain some of their characteristics after generations of diverse breeding.

JoeBnTN

doc-sun said:
bought a tank that includes:
exception
thornwood major clark
dearpark leader
highfield highliter?
armageddon trudeau?

?=unsure of name

does anyone have info?

Do you have Thornwood Major and Clark?  Both bulls were dual purpose Shorthorns sired by Scottshill Major Clark (as was Pomona - the sire of Trudeau).  The old Clark bull was owned by Graham Land and Livestock, MN, and was the sire of many great females in the late 70's-early 80's.  He sired our 1980 National Champion female - Lady Manuela as well as a number of other winners for a number of herds.  The Clark females were very refined, good uddered and more moderate in size as a whole than the Thornwood Major calves.  Clark worked exceptionally well on some of the older American and Canadian beef genetics and many of his daughters ended up being bred to Improver and Dividend in a very good mating.

Not sure about Exception - there was a bull called Exceptional and our bull - Excitement, but I don't recall Exception.

IHTH.

mark tenenbaum

Heres a ton (or close) daugter of 202-she is a maternal sister to the Nisely steer that won Louisville-go figure Shes also close to 0 Bw epd-and has little calves-unlike some of the smaller cows I have had

Attachments

• kansas calves107.JPG
    kansas calves107.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 400

yuppiecowboy

Improver 57 has dropped like a stone. Cunia I have seen from $100 an amp up to $300. Pretty consistently north of 2.

aj

I think Armageddon Trudeau won Denver way back when. I was judging college back then. Early 80's. Was thinking the judge was related to Nold and was kind of a hermit in social circles.

doc-sun

thanks for input.  upon further inventory and research, i think i have this:

thornwood major
hillside l s exception
armageddon trudeau

the deerpark leader and highfield highler are on my list, but look to have been sold.  in a round about way the semen did come from lazy d. can anyone help me with this semen that is in the tank but not on my list?  pretty sure it is from same place.

robthom general voyager  1473709
robthom monarch voyager 1492486
ned kanza tarzan twin 1677988

garybob

Cates had a son of Thornwood Major, CF High Rise, that ABS had in their Beef Sire line-up, in '88'. Anyone have any of him in their tank?

GB

Doc

doc-sun said:
thanks for input.  upon further inventory and research, i think i have this:

thornwood major
hillside l s exception
armageddon trudeau

the deerpark leader and highfield highler are on my list, but look to have been sold.  in a round about way the semen did come from lazy d. can anyone help me with this semen that is in the tank but not on my list?  pretty sure it is from same place.

robthom general voyager  1473709
robthom monarch voyager 1492486
ned kanza tarzan twin 1677988

Are you sure that's not Hillrock instead of Hillside. I remember Lazy D having some Hillrock breeding which was dual purpose. Are far as the other bulls, I've never heard of them.

Dale

garybob said:
Cates had a son of Thornwood Major, CF High Rise, that ABS had in their Beef Sire line-up, in '88'. Anyone have any of him in their tank?

GB

We have two straws of CF High Rise, SS0019.