opinon on this heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

worthabit

I think this heifer will make a fine cow. I have always heard that animals with a little front will milk well.

100 million --- I know that lots of hair and a good clip job are great for the show ring but make a good female on their own they do not.

JoeDirt

worthabit said:
I think this heifer will make a fine cow. I have always heard that animals with a little front will milk well.

100 million --- I know that lots of hair and a good clip job are great for the show ring but make a good female on their own they do not.

What i meant by the commet about the clip job is this....When you ask SD'ers like this Guy did.....you should not just take a picture of your calf in the coral or just got done rolling around in the mud.... WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IS ..... Clean him or her up clip her alittle and Then Show us all and you will have him or her at the best him or her can be at the moment

Just my 2 cents

MYT Farms

beattieclubcalves said:
this is a end of march wind ridge leggs heifer calf
had a small bw
was wonderin if anyone thought she was worth keepin for a replacement
and show at our small county fair
thanks

You're about as barn blind as I was with my commercial blue cow. Some people just need to have someone walk up, slap them in the face, and get you back on track. My cow is worth what I can get for her as a young bred cow at the sale barn.  Yours does look like a steer, very much so, and I would agree that if you're truly gonna try and get good calves, a good cow is half the equation. You HAVE to have good cows to get good calves. And I should know. There are a couple little Angus steers around here that missed being sale bulls because they shouldn't be reproducing. When you can't think with your knife, in this case, think about shipping her with the rest of the calves this fall. To back up my point about good cows, I'll be posting pics of some good ones that I own to prove my point. So don't bristle just yet.

OH Breeder

It is so hard today to breed up. If you want above average stock and good replacements it takes a little investing. For years I kept mediocre cattle and kept getting mediocre calves. With the price of embryos' it is much easier to up grade. Do some research and find stock that will work for you.

the heifer in the picture :-\ is not pictured very well. if you are going to take pictures for folks to evaluate it may take 50 or so before you find one that sheds the best light on your animal. I have sat an entire evening and not got a good one. Once you have that shot then post a pic. They shouldn't have to be clipped or groomed to tell if they are good cattle. Anyone who knows cattle can see through clip job and see what is underneath. The hair in this instance makes her front look more coarse than it actually is. The angle you shot her from does not lend any advantages to her profile or her front end. Get her out on some pasture in grass and start snapping pictures. I can't really give a good opinion either way cuz the photo is bad.

BABYTEX

100Million: i no i attached a word document but when i attached it from my camera it wouldnt let me because it was way to big any way, would u know how to down size it a bit

beattieclubcalves

since when do you need any cattle clipped to know its a good calf 100 million? thats the whole problem with cattle buyers anymore i bet if you went to some small time farmer not even raisin show calves you could find calves bettter than clipped calves

JoeDirt

beattieclubcalves said:
since when do you need any cattle clipped to know its a good calf 100 million? thats the whole problem with cattle buyers anymore i bet if you went to some small time farmer not even raisin show calves you could find calves bettter than clipped calves

This CALF SUCKS is the bottom line and IF and i meaan IF you want to show us something show it at its best and then you will get better feed back

MAKE HAMBURGER OUT OF IT

Deaves Show Cattle

Completely agree with 100Million on this heifer. Shes overall pathetic and it would not be in your best interest to keep her to raise calves. Take her to the stockyard for a feeder heifer and then collect a little bit of money, if not you'll dump a pile of money and feed in her trying to get her to look good and able to produce calves. You'll lose money big time trying to keep her as a replacement.

ShowmanQ

This post should really be pulled or locked. Does no one involved in this argument feel the slightest bit ashamed for acting so ignorant on a public forum?

A) If you do nto want someone's honest opinion on your calves, don't post them and ask for it. HOWEVER, i think that a good picture of this heifer would help you out a lot. Bottom line is, you are the ONLY one who knows your goals and expectations. TO EACH HIS OWN.

B) Getting on a public forum and bashing someone elses stock is kinda low. There is a MAJOR dfference between giving your opinion and being plain rude. Give your insight and leave it be, if you cannot leave it alone, then DO NOT POST.

Let's get back to talking cattle, and lending a hand to those who ask questions. Let's grow up a bit and quit acting like big shots behind a keyboard.
Just my opinion.

showsteerdlux

ShowmanQ said:
This post should really be pulled or locked. Does no one involved in this argument feel the slightest bit ashamed for acting so ignorant on a public forum?

A) If you do nto want someone's honest opinion on your calves, don't post them and ask for it. HOWEVER, i think that a good picture of this heifer would help you out a lot. Bottom line is, you are the ONLY one who knows your goals and expectations. TO EACH HIS OWN.

B) Getting on a public forum and bashing someone elses stock is kinda low. There is a MAJOR dfference between giving your opinion and being plain rude. Give your insight and leave it be, if you cannot leave it alone, then DO NOT POST.

Let's get back to talking cattle, and lending a hand to those who ask questions. Let's grow up a bit and quit acting like big shots behind a keyboard.
Just my opinion.
Best post on the whole topic. Well said.

farmboy

Ive been looking at these things for the past couple days.

lock the topics and issue bans. we know who needs the bans. the people who instigate this kind of discussion have no place here.

as for the original post, i would keep her.

justintime

Thanks ShowmanQ for your comments. The person who posted this thread asked a simple question. It deserved an honest answer. Heaven help us all, if you have to clip an animal to post a picture on SP for discussion.I would suggest you are a very poor cattleman if you have to see an animal clipped and fitted before you can tell if it has any potential.  I agree that a person should try to get as representative picture as possible, but  personally, the picture posted here does show me enough of this heifer in question for me to comment on her. Yes, she make not be a great show heifer, and she could be a little cleaner made, especially through her head and front end, but I wish we could follow this heifer for a few years and see how she develops. I think she is going to make a pretty sound brood cow. She has some rib shape and depth of body and has some muscle as well. Because she has some muscle is why she has a more prominent shoulder. She suggests to me that she will raise a decent calf, and not look like an Indian dog after weaning it.

I take great exception to some of the rude comments that some have made on here. You can be honest, without being insulting. That is just immature and says much more about you than it says about the person who started the thread. Grow up or keep your comments to yourself!

DL

SQ, zach - et al - hit the nail on the head - this thread (and others like it) is an example of why SP has become a boring unpleasant place - people being just plain mean, hiding behind a key board, just to see themselves "talk"  - not to mention their inability to spell or put a sentence together - if you (them) are interested in a urination contest take your yellow snow elsewhere

Diamond

heh, call a heifer no good cause it has no hair or 'style',  hell with today’s judges if you have enough fat and hair on a pos it will win, they never put there hands on the things. If  our  cattle are so great why don’t we shave off that fuzz. In today’s ring any idiot off the street can walk in and pick out the Purdy one. A good heifer, is one that throws a good calf, and can feed it on its own, can gain weight on air, and looks good threw out her life, not just as a calf. We try to justify what we breed but we are still as bad as when we bred the tall cattle. I wonder if we will ever get it right, probably not. If you like your heifer, thats what really matters, raise what you like. Theres more to farming than walking hamberger around a ring, and people forget that.

justintime

DL, I would suggest that for the most part, discussion on this site is very admirable. I have had some people tell me that we should not disagree with someone's else's opinion on here. I have no problem in the least with someone disagreeing with someone else. People see everything in life differently, and if we all saw the cattle business the same way, shows and sales would be very boring events as we would all agree on the winners and would want to buy the same cattle in a sale.

The discussion that occurs is how we all learn and how we all stretch our own mind's to  try to see another point of view. On some areas of discussion, there will never be consensus.. and that is just fine. It is only on a very rare occasion do I see a discussion, that in my opinion, gets rude or insulting. It seems that certain people cannot seem to make any comments without it sounding like they are slapping someone's face, or just being an ignorant bully. I feel sorry for these people in that life must really be a bummer for them on a day to day basis. It is these comments that I draw the line at... and this conduct is never called for. We have people on this site from all parts, and with differing connections to this business. Some are getting long in the tooth like me, and others are very young and trying to learn. To me, that is one of the reasons this site is the best cattle related site I have found on the internet.

DL

JIT - I guess in general I disagree with you on this topic - while some are civil and try to educate and or learn others are just plain mean or take part in personal attacks - the tone of SP has changed - I find that rather sad...if we all agreed it would be a boring world but it would help if we tried harder to be civil when people had contrasting opinions, perhaps if your views were more controversial you woud better understand, DL

BIGTEX

DL said:
JIT - I guess in general I disagree with you on this topic - while some are civil and try to educate and or learn others are just plain mean or take part in personal attacks - the tone of SP has changed - I find that rather sad...if we all agreed it would be a boring world but it would help if we tried harder to be civil when people had contrasting opinions, perhaps if your views were more controversial you woud better understand, DL

I think the biggest difference in SP is that we don't have Red posting interesting topics and keeping the flow going. Getting off of threads like this one, etc..... You can really tell the difference in the last months. She can not be replaced.  (angel)

Show Heifer

beattie: Raise the cattle YOU like to look at. Why would you put so much status on a bunch of strangers on a board that isn't smart enough to ask what your goals are for the heifer? Why do you care what these "wanna be's" opinions are? Take it with a grain a salt. He doesn't like her. Who cares?

Your heifer isn't perfect, but few are. The secret is taking the dams pieces and putting them together with a sires pieces to create a "better than the two parts" calf. This is an art many "steer jocks" do not have, hence their BUYING others calves and reselling them.

Good luck and keep trying to improve your herd. The fun and challenge is breeding your own.