Planned C-sections

Help Support Steer Planet:

GONEWEST

AJ

If JIT showed you numbers like he did on that bull sale that time, you'd just find fault with them. If it were EPD's you'd say it was reported improperly. Just go ahead and admit you enjoy being a grouch and can't be satisfied.

aj

That is kind of a weird statement. I assume he mean't that if you rent an apartment take public transportation to work...never owned a house or a business or a lawn mower........or a chain saw or tractor....are a trust fund baby......he wasn't going to take advice from you. I spose it's a business thing. I'll ask him.

J

JTM

justintime said:
I haven't had much time lately to follow this thread, so I took a few moments to read through it this morning. I may be too much "old school" but I find this thread to have left me scratching my head in disbelief. Here are some of my thoughts for whatever they are worth:
1) firstly, I think c-sections are a last resort... period. They should only be done when the life of the cow and/or calf is clearly in jeopardy.
2) I do not believe any vet, regardless of his/her experience can predict the BW of a calf accurately by doing a rectal examination and feeling the calf's feet late in the pregnancy. If they can do this with excellent accuracy, they are missing a great career as a physic. It is hard to guess a BW of a calf standing in front of you, let alone know what it will weigh when all u can feel are it's feet.
3) I am not a fan of messing with Mother Nature. I do not agree with the practice of induced births, or planned c-sections. Sorry... even if the greatest vet in the world recommended either of these to be done, I would let nature take it's course and see if the heifer could calve. My rule of thumb is if a female is having problems calving, I will put the chains on and hook them on the calf puller. Once the chains are tight I will push down gently on the calf puller, and if I don't see the calf advancing out at that stage, I unhook the puller and head to town for assistance. Sometimes the assistance is not required, but I feel it is better to have it available if needed. It is often better to be safe than sorry.
4) I think many of the calving issues in all breeds are being created by births that have been induced or calved early by any other method. The calf born by c-section, in this thread, weighed 95 lbs. My question would be what would be the actual BW of this calf if he had been allowed to go to term?  Would this calf have been born on it's due date or would it have gone 10-12 days overdue.  I'm not just picking on this calf, but I am seeing far too many cases like this. And we wonder why calving issues across the entire beef industry are increasing! Add to this, unscrupous breeders who lie about BWs ( which is nothing new, but I wonder how they sleep at night!)  I know of a case where a bull being promoted with an 88 lb BW and is advertised as being "safe for heifers" actually was a c-section birth and had a 130 lb BW. IMO, this breeder should be sanctioned by the breed association and prohibited from registering for a signifigant period of time. I know these cases are hard to prove, but the vet who did the c-section was pretty vocal about this being one of the biggest calves he had c-sectioned that year. IMO, there is no part of HELL too hot for breeders like this.
5) this point goes along with the last one, but I firmly believe that gestation length is one of the keys to improving calving ease. How would you have any idea of how long the gestation length is supposed to be if you have an induced birth or planned c-section on a cow or heifer? As I have mentioned on here before, I have seen cows go 18 days over on the due date.( these were verified by DNA)  Fortunately, these have been still born unassisted but if I had decided to induce or book an early c section, just what would I use as the actual BW of the calf?  
6) I just believe that many of the calving issues we see or hear about are totally man made. This really isn't rocket science and I think the first ingredient to improving calving issues is good old common sense.
I had a calf born this morning from a 2 yr old SULL female from our Bar Code bull, who has been calving very easily for us. This female was 4 days over her due date and I would not have touched her if she had been 15 days over her due date. In this case she calved unassisted with a 90 lb bull calf, which is the heaviest calf I have had from Bar Code so far. This probably makes sense, as there is some bigger BWs in the pedigree and while this calf looks very promising, he will never be promoted as a bull that is safe for use on heifers... at least until he has a proven track record that suggests he is a calving ease sire. There are just too many other choices that are so much better. This was now the 25th heifer to calve and I have 3 left, and all have calved unassisted except for one that had an upside down, backwards, breach calf. Even it was not a difficult birth and the heifer has even cycled again since she calved.

Sorry to be a fly in the ointment, but I just have to say I do not agree with any of this inducing or planned c- section stuff that is going on. I just feel it will only lead to more and more calving issues in all breeds in the future.
Major diddo's for the JIT man on this one!

vanridge

I just finished reading these 7 fasinating pages
1) JIT makes some very good points
2) People who let cows die under the "survival of the fittest " motto should not be allowed to have animals. Your the reason why PETA gets as much support as it does. I also believe in survival of the fittest, but if there is a cow in trouble, you help it, IT IS YOUR DUTY. You can cull her if you don't want her in the herd, but you don't let it die and you don't perform your own surgries on it! :mad:
3) The worst bull we ever had for calving was a red angus bull.
4) One of the best bulls we ever had was a red angus bull. We had to sell him finally because he just got too old. He was 10 when we sold him. Only once did we pull a calf from him that was too big.  This was the cow's second or third calf from this bull and they were always average size calves. She  was a herford/simmental cross and quite large. The calf was backwards and about 135 lbs. We managed to get it off with the calf puller and after 2 days it was standing and sucking. I agree with the statement that in a cross bred cow you can get some outliers in your calving and you shouldn't always blame the bull right away.
5) In the 5 years we have used shorthorn bulls  in our herd we haven't seen an increase in calving difficulties.  We have had maybe 3 calves that were pulled because they were too big.  I would say our angus bulls would hold a similar track record as our shorthorns. 
6) I like my angus and my shorthorns. I prefer my angus black. My theory on the red angus is that they became popular very fast and people kept bulls to sell that should have been steers, just to meet the demand and cash in. I think the gene pool may have been diluted a bit at that point. I also think that some of the problems that angus may have for calving ease wise is because angus are sold as the calving ease breed and too many guys are using bulls that drop 60lb heifer calves that are kept as replacements. How small will their calves have to be a generation or two down to be able to calve unassisted?
I guess I'm more of a middle of the road kind a person.