Potential genetic defect in Shorthorn cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

sue said:
DL

Is there a marker for DS ? Can I send a sample to Jon and know if I have a carrier for DS?

Yes sue the mutation has been identified and samples can be submitted to Dr B at the U - analysis of samples will cost $8 per sample until the test is licensed and commercially available at which point the U will no longer be able to accept samples. Blood (the old PURPLE TOP TUBE) is the preferred sample. Be aware that there are thousands of Angus samples waiting to be tested for DD so one must be patient : )

aj

So you could get an affected calf by both parents having the ds mutation. Could you get a calf affected with ds if one parent was ds.......the other parent was ds free but a pha carrier?

DL

aj said:
So you could get an affected calf by both parents having the ds mutation. Could you get a calf affected with ds if one parent was ds.......the other parent was ds free but a pha carrier?

YUP! You can get a DS half if the calf inherits the DS mutation from both parents OR if the calf inherits the DS mutation from one parent and the PHA mutation from the other parent. Interestingly the DS-PHA mutation combo is more severe that the DS-DS mutation combo

sue

DS  results came back just before Christmas on A& T Captain Obvious, Lakeside Doc Clark 918,  Lakeside Lo Rider 007 and Lakeside Power play 2P . all of the bulls tested DS Free. Cattle Visions ( and other studs) , American Shorthorn have my results.  I appreciate the emails and inquiry- I have done my best to get the word out there.  I share results on bulls and females that I currently have ownership in at this time. It did take some time to get results- many of my cow families are pending.  Thanks for those who suggested this post.  Sue McLachlan, Lakeside Farms .
Additional information regarding DS can be found in the October Issue of the shorthorn country-- Obviously DL has the "scoop" too.

Telos

Question for DL- I thought there was going to be some substantial detailed literature from Dr. B regarding the what's and whys on how these genes operate.

I'm just curious to know why some of the phenotype appears to be more in line with the show cattle industry and if these genes have tendencies to travel in close proximity to other genetic markers.

knabe

Telos said:
Question for DL- I thought there was going to be some substantial detailed literature from Dr. B regarding the what's and whys on how these genes operate.

I'm just curious to know why some of the phenotype appears to be more in line with the show cattle industry and if these genes have tendencies to travel in close proximity to other genetic markers.

ie, where (how many cm's or base pairs) are the 2-3 nearest crossover points before and after TH, Pha, I can't remember which gene it's in?

Telos

Knabe- You lost me again. I'm just a 1st grader. I understood there was an important paper that was to appear in some important scientific magazine explaining... By the way, Happy New Year!

oakview

As far as I know, there is no requirement for a DS test prior to selling semen.  I would support one, though.  I assume you still have to send blood to Illinois for the test.

As an aside, I just hauled my friend's DS afflicted heifer to the locker this morning.  She was fairly severely affected with both back feet rolled over, very long toes, and a bowed out leg rear leg.  I guessing her at about 1,150.  She has not gained very well, which is understandable.  The other heifer will go to the locker the end of the month.  You wouldn't notice anything wrong with her with a foot trim.  She's had very long toes since birth, but the joints appear pretty normal.  She has gained a lot better than the white one and probably out weighs her by 100 pounds or more. 

Gmc cattle

So is it safe to say exactly what bull or sons of bull this is associated with? I read all 26 pages, I have idea but would like to know for sure.

Dale

Have a look at post # 375 by DL--it is back a page or 2. 

Okotoks

sue said:
DS  results came back just before Christmas on A& T Captain Obvious, Lakeside Doc Clark 918,  Lakeside Lo Rider 007 and Lakeside Power play 2P . all of the bulls tested DS Free. Cattle Visions ( and other studs) , American Shorthorn have my results.  I appreciate the emails and inquiry- I have done my best to get the word out there.  I share results on bulls and females that I currently have ownership in at this time. It did take some time to get results- many of my cow families are pending.  Thanks for those who suggested this post.  Sue McLachlan, Lakeside Farms .
Additional information regarding DS can be found in the October Issue of the shorthorn country-- Obviously DL has the "scoop" too.
That is good that they are free. Captain Obvious has Improver at least 3 times. I was looking at some cattle on the CLRC site and some have him 12 or more tmes! What is the address for Dr Beever and are they still accepting samples? I would like to get some bulls tested. Can they use semen on deceased bulls?

aj

It almost looks like to me.....that the ds deal is not lethal. That unless a ds carrier comes up against a ph carrier the calves are maybe not to crippled. It some ways DS is kinda minor. I would like to see some say jpj sons be tested clean.......promoted and advertised as such. I think it would help us steer away from the problem. I kinda doubt that the board of directors would make a ds test mandatory from a political standpoint. I sure would like to see every breeder understand the deal......no secrets. jmo And I may not have all the information to understand the deal.

sue

sue said:
Original cow family results came back yesterday Jan 22. I think you'll see a quick turnaround, as there is more help in Beever's Lab now. I failed to send two families however here is what we have results on:  Hale's Royal Rosemary KDR x 3995567  DSF,    JAB Majors Hope M01x  4033353 DSF,    HUB's 18 Princess 0579 x 4105765 DSF,  HUB's 18 Clementine 0529 x 4105752 DSF,    HUB's BM Dolly 0404 4088921 DSC - her A.I. son is DSF.

All of these cow families are deceased as we used old Lab ID numbers. Many have bulls,daughters or embryos by the families so this may help. My intention is to continue testing the balance of females and future young sires before selling or using.

sue

sue said:
sue said:
Original cow family results came back yesterday Jan 22. I think you'll see a quick turnaround, as there is more help in Beever's Lab now. I failed to send two families however here is what we have results on:  Hale's Royal Rosemary KDR x 3995567  DSF,    JAB Majors Hope M01x  4033353 DSF,    HUB's 18 Princess 0579 x 4105765 DSF,  HUB's 18 Clementine 0529 x 4105752 DSF,    HUB's BM Dolly 0404 4088921 DSC - her A.I. son is DSF.

All of these cow families are deceased as we used old Lab ID numbers. Many have bulls,daughters or embryos by the families so this may help. My intention is to continue testing the balance of females and future young sires before selling or using.
3 more !
Leveldale Javelin 535R            DSF
Lakeside Royal Fantastic 601S  DSC, her sire is DSF
RAS Vintage 1119                  DSF

Dale

JJC Wild Side *x4045349 is DSC. 

A.J., look way back in Wild Side's pedigree to see that he traces back to Improver at least twice.   

Homeplace Fair Lady 0908 is DSF.  She's by Jazz.
Homeplace Touchdown 1209 is DSF. 
Homeplace Wild Side 1215 is DSF.
Homeplace Wild Side 1315 is DSC and not registered yet.