Potential genetic defect in Shorthorn cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

Did you send a sample from the cow and bull?

If its the same defect as other calves, then they (parents)should all be het for the same snp, deletion insertion, whatever, and the calf should be homo.

aj

I sent in sample from calf and cow. The sire is a famous ai sire so I assume he's being run also.

aj

Thought I'd bump this up. Anybody have any weird calves this spring? Last I knew Beevers needed more samples......they couldn't really get a finger on the deal.

knabe

i lost track of full blood's calf's pedigree.

there are two eskimo joe's.

they both have deerpark leader in them.

don't know dam either.

from what i remember, pride was not in full blood's calf.

knabe

did irish pride semen ever get analyzed?  not that it would eliminate improver if pride was clean.

aj

I haven't heard anything. We butchered the goofball steer we had. I don't know if it was just a case of stuctural undsoundness in cerain lines or what.

oakview

I was told there is now a test by a very reliable source, along with other information regarding this defect.

oakview

From what I understand, yes, genetic.  I'm going to check with my source before going further.  I thought everybody knew what was going on.

aj

Ouch.....I had kinda stayed away from the one line but was ready to jump in here lately.

DL

oakview said:
From what I understand, yes, genetic.  I'm going to check with my source before going further.  I thought everybody knew what was going on.

As of July 25 still working to finalize - it is sort of an odd duck - all ducks need to be in a row before any announcements - also the DD thing in Angus is taking a bit of time testing billions of bulls ;)

oakview

Patrick Wall with the ASA will be happy to answer your questions.  I wanted to check with him before I said anything else about this deformity.  Things have changed a little bit since I talked with him about this a couple of months ago, namely how it is transmitted.  Old Improver seems to be the gift that just keeps on giving.

knabe

aj said:
Someone needs to write a song about ole Improver.

deerpark improver
deerpark improver
he's the best,
now that there's a test,
we can save the rest.

all we have to do is screen
instead of listening to a bore
we can use him and get some more.
screen the offspring
and in your pocket will be some jing a ling.

Okotoks

oakview said:
Patrick Wall with the ASA will be happy to answer your questions.  I wanted to check with him before I said anything else about this deformity.  Things have changed a little bit since I talked with him about this a couple of months ago, namely how it is transmitted.  Old Improver seems to be the gift that just keeps on giving.
So how is this genetic defect passed along, with all the animals with Deerpark Improver in their pedigrees wouldn't you expect it to be happening all the time if it's a simple recessive?

PDJ

Okotoks said:
oakview said:
So how is this genetic defect passed along, with all the animals with Deerpark Improver in their pedigrees wouldn't you expect it to be happening all the time if it's a simple recessive?
You would think it would have shown up sooner, but then, Improver was line bred quite a bit before TH was ever reported.

aj

I forget how the pedigrees lay out......seems like if heatseeker had the deal it would have showed up though. Maybe he's clean.

DL

[quote author=PDJ
[/quote]You would think it would have shown up sooner, but then, Improver was line bred quite a bit before TH was ever reported.
[/quote]

For a genetic defect to "show up sooner" you need a couple of things
1) sufficient prevalence of the mutation in the population
2) awareness of breeders
3) sufficient number of abnormal calves so that someone somewhere suspects that it could be genetic
4) breeders willing to submit samples
5) associations willing to encourage the submission of samples

go back to the beginning of this thread - almost 2 years ago - it will provide a sense of the inertia and stumbling blocks inherent in almost all of these gene hunts