Shorthorn Discussion

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

BTDT was on right point!! Black hides are excuses! Again, not understand why black hides means that will have meat quality! A black Limousin will keep Limousin meat character! Bonus prices for blackies, well this is another history, that isn't connected with meat quality.

The post was very clear to me - “enormous birth weights, low milk production, poor udders, and indifferent maternal instincts” - also will add to the list - lack of a serious genetic defects control!

Perhaps now is the time that the breed needs to change your road, breaking taboos and choose your way finally.

mark tenenbaum

I think BDT makes some good points-but SEK does have 11 bulls listed that are good to excellant calvers-and those are the just ones that ARE NOT RED-The problem is that they are smaller structured and dumped on EPD wise alot worse than the show cattle. And as far as listing EPDS which are listed for every bull on cattle Visions at Least,-both SEK and Cattlevisions seem to want to separate themselves from any claims inherent responsibility-probably because they are aware that some Shorthorn EPDS are totally BOGUS.But Ive met commercial and or semi club calf breeders in my area-(which is a Shorthorn bashing capital) who have used them all at one time or another. And kept daughters who made good cows. So there should be(as mentioned) a seperate commercial wrag,like we had in the past,with bulls that will work-and there are plenty between the Red ones out there. And any documentation where decent cattle (not absolute culls) did ok feeding-registered or not.O0

aj

I think the industry could plug in a moderate sized outcross breed just for the heterosis aspect. They would have to be solid red and completely void of the Shorthorn breeds show ring cattle. The industry in my opinion could use an outcross breed. Think from an industry aspect noy as a Shorthorn breeders aspect. What does the industry need and what would they bother using. They are doing alot of stuff right.....right now.

mark tenenbaum

aj said:
I think the industry could plug in a moderate sized outcross breed just for the heterosis aspect. They would have to be solid red and completely void of the Shorthorn breeds show ring cattle. The industry in my opinion could use an outcross breed. Think from an industry aspect noy as a Shorthorn breeders aspect. What does the industry need and what would they bother using. They are doing alot of stuff right.....right now.///  Durham Reds perhaps? O0

sue

So we are clear- you dont have to fly to Denver to be apart of a committee, meetings took place via phone in late August.  Contact a chair and learn more regarding the group of your interest.

Ralph- you may have to pay per/hd to submit your kill data from the sire group? Just a thought but I assume ASA does not have extra funding?  The "Barry Jordan's" pay or register steers on feed - just as the great state feed out members  do?  You will see a change in WHR vs. TOC members too, long awaited ! 

Davis Shorthorns

BTDT said:
It is time the shorthorn breeders look in the mirror and stop using the "black" excuse.
I am a firm believer of an excuse is just that a excuse.  I will say something though you have to admit that when a roan colored one comes in the sale ring they get docked.  Producers see that and know what breed produces that.  They will shy away from that breed.  I lose a minimum of $7 per hundred with a roan calf at the sale barn I go to.  They also look for ANY reason to pull a calf from a group Red, roan, horned, scurred, etc... They will do it.  Red Angus have proved their merit in the commercial world for a long time but you breed them to a black animal and you get a black calf.  That's why they were able to get a foothold to grow from.  If the SH breed had been solid red 40 years ago where would it be now?  I also agree that the problems faced now to the SH breed has a lot more to do with what is acceptable to the breed as a whole and a lack of interest in producing real world commercial cattle.  To many people just don't want to do it.  They could but would rather chase a Purple banner.  Yes I show cattle, but I show cattle that I think have the ability to produce the kind of beef animal that is wanted in today's ever changing and growing market.  I hate to toot my own horn but the two bulls that I have shown have both been moderate to low bw with well above average growth numbers.  Both are sound as can be and come from great female lines and at least the older bull is producing tremendous females that are high enough performing with out being extreme.  I love the multi breed epd structure and think it can really do some good if used like it should.     

RedBulls

Thank you all! The discussion has turned in the direction I’d hoped I hoped it would. Complaints, without constructive action does not do anyone any good.
CAB- I would have to agree with you. For the most part, our Shorthorn raising neighbors to the North have not lost sight of what “makes a cow a cow”. I have had excellent results with most of the ones that I have purchased over the years. 2 of the cows in the picture below are ones that I can positively identify as descendants of Canadian bred cows. They are the ones on the far left and the horned one off center to the right in the rear. I think you will have to agree that they blend in well with the rest. Early on, I decided to be ruthless in my culling. It has paid off for my operation.
This picture was taken on 10/5/13 almost a month after weaning. We have been terribly dry for the past couple years and I was glad to find some grass of any kind to rent. They had been on this pasture about 3 weeks at this time, and ran there until Dec. 27th. We start calving the 3rd week of January, so it was time to get them home. They had not lost noticeable body condition when I hauled them despite two weeks of very cold weather and having already utilized the best grazing.

DSC_0399.jpg

Most of my cattle are red due to the reasons you’ve stated. However from past experience, when I don’t save a good roan bull or two, is when I’ll get a call from someone wanting one!

BTDT- I hope you do not see my post as “Bashing Black”.  I have “looked (deeply, I might add) in the mirror” and didn’t always like what I saw. I’ve set a course to change what I didn’t like. However, as a general rule, I do much prefer the dispositions of my Shorthorns. I also know that there are Angus breeders whose herds do not display the temperament issues that I’ve experienced with some that I’ve owned. One cannot argue with the advances in performance that the Angus has made. IN MY OPINION, I think that overuse of EPD’s and “breeding by the numbers” have not all been beneficial to the man/woman who is making a living by selling live calves. This pertains to ANY breed. I think that one must know “what makes a cow a cow”. It has been my experience that the one who weans the biggest calf is seldom the most efficient. I know that there are exceptions to the rule, but how often do these individuals have the genetic capability to replicate themselves? 
I will wholeheartedly agree with you that HUGE bw’s, bone, poor conception rates, and “big hair” is certainly not conducive to providing any benefit to the Industry as a whole You can only tweak Mother Nature so far before she tweaks back.  I delivered some good heifer calves to Iowa this fall to a man who had become disillusioned with the breed due to the above reasons. I am entirely confident that he will be pleased with his choices as his heifers go into production.

JIT- I wholeheartedly agree that we cannot expect our respective Associations to do all of the heavy lifting. However, I do feel that when 3 or 4 pens of GENERIC  purebred Shorthorn cattle would be available for generic Shorthorn data collection that the ASA should avail themselves of the opportunity if/whenever it arises, as we don't have a lot of concrete data to prove that the right kind of cattle within our breed has some real Industry benefits, and could greatly enhance our standing as a breed. I hope I explained it well enough? Maybe I should not have brought up this issue as the generic or anonymity aspect is probably not an option now.

Sue- I agree with your statement in general. IF my intent had been to promote my own program. I had hoped that the ASA would avail themselves (meaning "us" as a breed) of positive generic information/data. However, at this point, it would've entailed parental verification of 200-250 head of feeders plus their sires due to "Tom's" multiple sire range cattle operation in order to determine which of the genetics came from my ranch. I cannot afford to do that. Toms new 2013 calf crop is has been in NE for 2 weeks now.

RyanChandler

Just imagine how you would have felt when some Trump bred outfit would have used your 'generic shorthorn data' to promote the real world usefulness of their cattle.

Davis Shorthorns

mark tenenbaum said:
-XBAR- said:
Just imagine how you would have felt when some Trump bred outfit would have used your 'generic shorthorn data' to promote the real world usefulness of their cattle.// Kinda like having a phantom herd of cattle-aint it (lol) O0

Bahahahaha (lol) <beer>

aj

Develop a line of cows with really good teeth.......it would improve stayability by three years......you cound have dental epds.

ty378

If you guys were to open up your herd book to add new genetics why not use red angus bulls? There are some awful good ones

r.n.reed

knabe said:
And they would be more in the hole without them.
Knabe,do you have access to the Shorthorn books?I have yet to see a public study of the receipts vs.expenditures of the different segments of the breed.If there is that kind of deficit I think that kind of analysis would be valuable moving forward.

Doc

ty378 said:
If you guys were to open up your herd book to add new genetics why not use red angus bulls? There are some awful good ones

They are. They even tried the Red Angus deal but it didn't go as well as they thought it would I don't think. I think Waukaru has got along pretty well with the Red Angus cross.

Doc

-XBAR- said:
Their impact has been a net negative.

What you are saying doesn't even make sense. If everyone is saying that the "showring" genetics out number the commercially accepted genetics , then where we be financially if we didn't have those numbers?