Shorthorn Impact 2015 - My thoughts

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

E3 Durhams said:
JTM said:
E3 Durhams said:
So we need to focus on convienience traits but not growth and carcass? We can use angus to attain that?

No no no no. Just no. A cow that's easy keeping with good udder, temperament and all that jazz but has calves with mediocre WW and YW and little ribeyes is useless to me. I think it must all be selected for. The less days on feed the more money I make. Good growing, carcass Bulls on angus cows should improve the resulting animal all around. Not just convienience traits.

If you really want to know how your cattle stack up, you must prove a bull first that is a high ACC bull already. Prove him with other like minded breeders. Once that's done you'll have a much better baseline to truly see where your cattle stand. It's going to be a long process.
I am perfectly fine with the stance I have taken. I will make sure my Shorthorn cattle excel in convenience traits first. My point in saying this is because if you don't focus on convenience traits first, they won't have them. Growth, stoutness, and eye appeal are antagonistic to convenience traits, good udders, fertility, hoof quality, calf vigor, and every other trait that ranchers want. Commercial cattlemen want live calves that are healthy. They don't want risk and that is what you will give them when you try to breed for high growth. I never mentioned what breeds to cross them with, you assumed Angus and yes that is one option. As we cross breed we should be taking into account ribeye per 100 lb. and IMF. Make sure that the cattle are in the acceptable areas for Ribeye and have good marbling in order to get the balance of carcass traits. Once again I agree with Librarian, we need to create a market for bulls that will create the crossbred cows that Commercial cattlemen want and give them the crossbred calves that will make them the most profit. Profit to a commercial rancher isn't all wrapped up in pounds. The old saying "we sell them by the pound" is a good way to go out of business.

I was actually referring to librarian when she said to use angus for carcass and growth. I believe I misunderstood her reading her response. Convienience traits to me should be in any breed or successful line of cattle. At this point it shouldn't need to be bred in if you have selected the correct stock to begin with. Kaper cattle are already there. Muridale is there. The list goes on. Shorthorns need to gather attention to me. But for once in a positive way. The Top Hand bull should be used heavily by all. We need good mommas that raise heavy calves with good carcass and do it on minimums. I see plenty of angus that are hitting this target already. If you can't at least breed similarly to the top breed, the commercial guy will see no reason to try an unproven breed basically. We need the shock and awe at this point I think. 550 pound ww east of the Mississippi in the angus breed gets your nuts cut off and a trip to the feedlot.
I hear what you are saying but just can't agree that it's best for the breed. Angus has gone away from maternal. They are wondering, they have feed conversion issues, hoof issues, and will have other issues if they keep pushing the growth deal. I do agree with you that there are Angus cattle that do a lot of things really well but I'm not sure that going down that road is what we as a breed should do. I'm not saying don't conform, I'm saying we should give them things they don't have and things they know they will need. Things they won't get from crossing with other breeds. With my experience with cattle I would never assume that any program has convenience traits bred in. I agree with the two you mentioned and there are a handful of others. So once you get convenience traits, to me the next step is balanced carcass traits for a maternal breed.

trevorgreycattleco

"Some" angus may have gone away from it but others haven't. That's the beauty of angus. Different strains in mass with data to back it up. We will agree to disagree on the usefulness of the crossbred. The F1, yes. The 5/8 bull or whatever it is, no. To me shorthorn breeders need not worry about the crossbred side of it. That's not their job. Keep it simple with all the carrots dangling in front of you. Breed good to good. In this day and age I can't see how trying to breed for 700 pound YW is asking too much while keeping it moderate at mature size. Using the English breed characteristics to maintain maternal and carcass quality or improving it. Fit the herd to your environment and budget. The market will decide how you did.

RyanChandler

The most maternal/convenient cow in their world still needs to maintain or exceed a standard weaning weight percentage to be useful.  I think 40% is a bare minimum.

librarian

Yes, I would suggest we plan toward offering Angus something they need because they have either lost it or used it so much they need an outcross that retains those qualities.
I say Angus because Angus is the dominant breed with the most potential customers.
My approach is shot with flaws, I'm sure, but I think it's worth looking at What Worked When for Angus and how can we line up with that.
I think B/R New Design 036 worked and would still work if not for his genetic defect.
He had great carcass and his daughters were great cows.
Of you ran him thru that Chromosomal Predicted Transmitting Abilities program I'm sure it would show he was passing more good to his daughters than his sons.
If you look at his EPD's against today's Angus they are just average. Except below average on WW and YW and $W. But his carcass quality makes up for the weight deficit.
Maybe he's average because the average goes back to him heavily and the average is what does a good job at most things. Maybe pushing weight is where they started to lose something else.
So if we had an EPD translator tool and looked at the EPD's of the Shorthorn bulls we planned to market to Angus against Angus numbers, where would they differ?
That's where I would start collecting data to improve the accuracy etc.
My point with the photos is similarity in type between breeds may be stronger than similarity in type within breeds.
And looking at the chart again, I guess calling 036 average is pretty inaccurate. But I still think there is merit buried in my line of reasoning.  I read optimal YW is 80.
http://www.leachman.com/Newsletter/Profit-A-Bull-08%2011Nov%208%20Genetic%20Mistakes.pdf

Attachments

• wp_ss_20151218_0002.png
    wp_ss_20151218_0002.png
    388.3 KB · Views: 137
  • wp_ss_20151218_0001.png
    wp_ss_20151218_0001.png
    423.3 KB · Views: 135
  • wp_ss_20151218_0003.png
    wp_ss_20151218_0003.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 147
  • wp_ss_20151218_0004.png
    wp_ss_20151218_0004.png
    690 KB · Views: 142

3 Eagles shorthorns

I come from a angus family, my dad owns and operates Gardner angus In winnett montana and is running around 400 head of commerical angus and 150 head of registered mama cows. My father has a bull sale every year and the main things people ask him are what's the BW and what's the WW. To me these are key factors to anyone picking out bulls nobody wants to stay up all night helping cows calve and nobody wants to feed a cow all year to have her bring home a 500 pound calf. I believe the shorthorn breed has a lot of good things to offer  commerical cattlemen. I believe data is important and the shorthorn association should be doing whatever it can to get the data from producers collected there should be incentives for commerical producers to turn in that data. The angus association has done such a outstanding job of promoting the breed that there are thousands of breeders working to better the breed and with that being said they are a long ways ahead of every breed because there are so many people working at it. I'm going to try using the little cedar Cabrera because he has the BW-WW spread that really talks performance.

librarian

If I'm sliding sideways into Angus, forgive me, but I think it's relevant to our topic.
I was looking at the 036 picture and thinking about how he had two shots of Shearbrook Shoshone and one shot of Candolier Forever, who goes to Forever of Wye. I never liked Shearbrook Shoshone much and wanted to compare him to a picture of his grandson, Shoshone Viking. Shoshone Viking is much more representative of the later Shoshone breeding when functionality and fertility were the selection criteria- not winning growth contests.
So what do I find but a 2010 post by E3 that went for 6 pages and has had over 24,000 views titled Shoshone Angus http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/the-big-show/shoshone-angus/
So there is plenty of familiarity with this breeding direction and probably enough Shorthorn breeders thinking this way to make an IMPACT.

One Angus average we do not want to emulate is $EN.
036 was above breed average with a -5.56. Shoshone Viking is in the top 1% with 51.95. He's way below average on most other things...so my argument for Angus Average as a target is eroding.

I can't resist pointing out that, in the end, Leonhardt said screw the Association and still managed to collect plenty of data. I agree that charging $18/head to report data on commercial cross bred steers is never going to get traction.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20151218_0005.png
    wp_ss_20151218_0005.png
    385.9 KB · Views: 187
  • wp_ss_20151218_0008.png
    wp_ss_20151218_0008.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 191

r.n.reed

3 eagles, after reading your last post I am surprised at your bull selection.It flies in the face of everything you just finished saying.

3 Eagles shorthorns

r.n.reed said:
3 eagles, after reading your last post I am surprised at your bull selection.It flies in the face of everything you just finished saying.
Gary I have spoken with the owners a few different times now the bull has been used with success on hefiers, and with a weaning weight such as his, I think I have to try him.

Okotoks

Waiting on an Association to get you where you want to be could be a very slow way of getting there. It's good the association provided a venue that supplied information and got breeders thinking. The real work however is up to the breeder. If you can work with like minded breeders the road will be a lot easier!

Attachments

• Surround Yourself.jpg
    Surround Yourself.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 203

sue

3 Eagles shorthorns said:
I come from a angus family, my dad owns and operates Gardner angus In winnett montana and is running around 400 head of commerical angus and 150 head of registered mama cows. My father has a bull sale every year and the main things people ask him are what's the BW and what's the WW. To me these are key factors to anyone picking out bulls nobody wants to stay up all night helping cows calve and nobody wants to feed a cow all year to have her bring home a 500 pound calf. I believe the shorthorn breed has a lot of good things to offer  commerical cattlemen. I believe data is important and the shorthorn association should be doing whatever it can to get the data from producers collected there should be incentives for commerical producers to turn in that data. The angus association has done such a outstanding job of promoting the breed that there are thousands of breeders working to better the breed and with that being said they are a long ways ahead of every breed because there are so many people working at it. I'm going to try using the little cedar Cabrera because he has the BW-WW spread that really talks performance.
\Little Cedar Cabrera is a proven heifer bull? Primo was not promoted as a heifer bull? Of all the bulls out there this is the choice? Good luck

3 Eagles shorthorns

This was a picture sent to me of the typical Cabrera calf. I will be trying him yes along with a alta cedar bull. I spoke with little with Mr.french this morning and I beleive the bull should work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 179

sue

Perfect - best of luck Steve is a great purebred promoter!

Medium Rare

Okotoks said:
Waiting on an Association to get you where you want to be could be a very slow way of getting there. It's good the association provided a venue that supplied information and got breeders thinking. The real work however is up to the breeder. If you can work with like minded breeders the road will be a lot easier!

I couldn't attend the meetings, so I've been reluctant to post, but I've felt the association hasn't really provided much to commercial breeder in years. Hopefully, what appears to be a recent swing becomes more than the puff and fluff that has happened in the past. I agree with you for the most part, as it's the breeder's job to move their own cattle. I don't want, or expect, them to sell my cattle but I would appreciate a concerted effort in advertising the breed itself with a positive image. You'd think it would already be at the top of their own "to do" list as the process directly affects their bottom line as a business.

This example might seem simple or small to some, but it's a pretty big deal to many and it is as close to free as advertising gets. The Shorthorn Association's twitter page has a larger following than anyone I quickly linked except the American Angus Association. It's proof there is a "demand" of information/interaction, yet it's painfully obvious to anyone who knows anything about twitter that the void is not being filled with any kind of regular meaningful information or even thought provoking interactive posts. Everyone knows the average age of the US cattle operator is getting up there and the kids who can are stepping in to take over. These kids grew up with social media and expect it to be their quick connection to information, like minded individuals, and anything related to the topic they're following. Even the 50 - 60 year old cattle buyers and commercial feed lot owners can be seen passing breed, feed, and market information on my feed every single day of the week. For whatever reason the opportunity, for the most part, is being ignored. One of the many things that make you go, hmm.

https://twitter.com/shorthornassn

https://twitter.com/AngusAssoc

https://twitter.com/redangusamerica

https://twitter.com/GelbviehNews

https://twitter.com/asasimmental

https://twitter.com/herefordassoc

Doc

I had planned on going to this, up to the last minute but had some stuff come up that unfortunately I couldn't swing it.
One thing I talked to Montie about before the meeting that I thought might help some of the breeders is a tri-fold pamphlet that breeders could had out that are selling farm raised Shorthorn freezer beef. I wouldn't think it would take much to do it, with them listing some results of Shorthorn in feedlot tests, etc. I know that you can get programs for your computer and stuff like that and do it yourself, but I also thought that for the people that are just selling 6 to 10 head a year it would be a nice thing to have and maybe a more professional look. They could leave a spot on the bottom of the front or back page for a spot for your farm info.

librarian

Although I stand by all my remarks about the sort of Shorthorn bull that I think would be most useful to the commercial Angus dominated beef industry, I feel obliged to admit that I am not interested in using that variety for my purposes.
For grassfed, rumen capacity comes first and that is the first thing to go (I think) when feedlot performance and efficiency is selected for. So, I think there is as much merit in maintaining strains that have big barrels and early maturity as there is in developing strains that are high marbling and taller.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20151220_0003.png
    wp_ss_20151220_0003.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 170

Duncraggan

librarian said:
Although I stand by all my remarks about the sort of Shorthorn bull that I think would be most useful to the commercial Angus dominated beef industry, I feel obliged to admit that I am not interested in using that variety for my purposes.
For grassfed, rumen capacity comes first and that is the first thing to go (I think) when feedlot performance and efficiency is selected for. So, I think there is as much merit in maintaining strains that have big barrels and early maturity as there is in developing strains that are high marbling and taller.
To everyone their own. Librarian, you are on the right track, identify where you want to be and then attempt to take the shortest path that will get you there!
I believe that the quickest/easiest profit for me is at weaning as it carries the lowest risk. I now keep only the bulls that I would use myself, and one or two that I am unsure about. I have recently sold the 'outliers' for a better net profit than I would have sold the 'tail-end' bulls on my 2016 bull sale. Makes economic sense!
I have tried to down-scale frame size over the last two years and it has definitely improved the fleshing ability of the herd.
I wish I had access to the genetics available to you North American guys, life would be a whole lot easier. Some of the appendix free bulls from Kaper, DMH, Y Lazy Y and Muridale are amazing. Have managed to source some Saskvalley Yesterday genetics but have had poor success with the number of weaned calves, low conception with my heifers, and loss of calves before weaning, have resulted in zero progeny to performance record!
Looking, as an outside breeder, at the ASA direction in the last year makes me extremely happy, as there seems to be a resurgence in enthusiasm, especially towards performance traits. I hope that rubs off on the local society!
The Impact symposium seems to have been a very positive step in the right direction and I hope that everyone got some inspiration, and that it was all a move in the right direction.

r.n.reed

This months Drover's Journal speaks to some of the things that Duncraggen and the Librarian have touched on.I would strongly recomend reading the cow herd related articles in this issue to any Shorthorn breeder seeking the commercial market and compare those trends backed by hard numbers to your own program and goals.Any one taking the butter and syrup off the pancakes to see who your real money making cows are?

RedBulls

I sure wish that I had been able to attend the Impact 2015 meeting. From what I read here as well as speaking with attendees, it seems to have left a very positive impression on people. I hope to be able to attend in the future. It sounds like the main “take away” was the need for more participation in the data collection part. It seems like this has been a problem in the breed for a long time. Most, who consider themselves “breeders” know firsthand what our cattle can do. Too few of us do what is necessary to help prove it.
Since purchasing our first registered Shorthorns nearly 20 years ago, I have been a strong proponent of data collection. Without this basic information it’s impossible to obtain hard evidence of what direction our individual herds are going. Every calf born here gets an actual BW recorded. I know a lot of folks favor a measuring tape. After experimenting with both I guess the tape is better than nothing. With a good spring scale, I have no doubt about what a new calf weighs. I built a gambrel from 2 inch square tubing that inserts into a standard hitch receiver on either the truck or 4-wheeler. I also purchased a simple sling with iron “D” rings that are attached to a rubberized canvas type band that supports the calf. This also makes it very handy to restrain the calf during the tagging/tattooing. It all gets done within 12 hours of birth.  Calving season is also the time when I most appreciate the inherent docility of this breed as I am no longer inclined to nimbly leap into the back of a pickup to escape a raging cow that’s hell bent on causing me bodily harm.
In my opinion weaning weights are the most economically important data collected as the vast majority of cattle are marketed at weaning. This data often gets neglected due to lack of owning a scale. Prior to being able to buy a scale, I felt that the critical nature of accurate 205 day weights justified the hauling of the calves to a facility that had one I could use.
Few steers stay here until their first birthday, but we do collect YW’s on the bulls and replacement type heifers. Bulls are always scanned for carcass as are the majority of the heifers. This year, due to the uncertainty of the feeder cattle market we are taking a stock trailer load of 16-18 steers to the Tri-State Futurity mentioned in an above post. Weather/roads permitting, we hope to deliver them in early January. Scanning is a good tool. A carcass scored on the rail makes it more definitive.
In another thread, I listed the ultrasound average on the 2014 born bulls that were wintered at the Nancy M. Cummings Research Center near Salmon, ID. This center is owned and managed by the University of Idaho. The bulls there are also tested for feed efficiency with the “Grow Safe” equipment where each bull is given a RFID tag which allows the center to collect individual feed consumption on the cattle. Individual weights of the bulls are taken every two weeks. They weigh each bull on a Monday and then again on the next day and the two weights are averaged for the period to help compensate for difference in water/feed consumption from one day to the next. They are fed a high roughage diet designed to obtain 3 lbs. ADG. The Residual Feed Intake data has very little meaning at this point, as it is only comparing my bulls against each other (one contemporary grouping). Four of the bulls had negative RFI numbers, 2 were very slightly in the positive. They were all ½ siblings. This year we have only two sires represented, but it will at least provide us a little data in comparing the two sires. We do this as an investment in the future.
My point is that until the vast majority of Shorthorn breeders are submitting accurate and complete basic minimum data (BW, WW, and YW) on their cattle, our EPD’s are of very little value to the Industry as a whole.
For too many, EPD’s have become a “breed by the numbers” game. That game is pretty risky when a lot of the EPD’s are generated though previous generations or from cherry picked data. As others have noted: The most economically relevant trait for the commercial cattleman is for a cow to raise a calf every year for several years without excessive inputs. To me, inputs include labor and incidentals such as cows not birthing and caring for their calf unattended, calves that need assistance to grab hold of an oversize teat, hoof trimming, structural incorrectness, temperament, failure to breed back on time, etc.  A live 600 lb. calf sure beats a dead one that had the potential to wean at 700 in the fall!
Librarian, I like the bull in the picture that you posted above. If I’m able to gather more information on his dam I will surely consider using him. However, when you factor in the DOB of 2/10/2012 listed on the ad along with the listed weaning date of 11/29/2012, it indicates that he was weaned from the cow at 294 days of age. This puts him slightly over the adjustment age range. The usual 205 day adj. weaning weight would have put him at about 610 lbs. A 205 day weight that’s acceptable in my opinion. In any regard, I think he’s a good one.
Dr. Wade Shafer from the Simmental Association gives a good power point presentation on EPD’s.
http://www.simmental.org/site/index.php/from-phenotypes-to-epds-the-genetic-model-dr-wade-shafer

frostback

[
[/quote]

I don't want, or expect, them to sell my cattle but I would appreciate a concerted effort in advertising the breed itself with a positive image. You'd think it would already be at the top of their own "to do" list as the process directly affects their bottom line as a business.

[/quote]

That made me chuckle.... most "breeders" on here slam the breed they say they raise,  and you want the association to bring a positive image. That should and could start with the breeders themselves.

trevorgreycattleco

RedBulls said:
I sure wish that I had been able to attend the Impact 2015 meeting. From what I read here as well as speaking with attendees, it seems to have left a very positive impression on people. I hope to be able to attend in the future. It sounds like the main “take away” was the need for more participation in the data collection part. It seems like this has been a problem in the breed for a long time. Most, who consider themselves “breeders” know firsthand what our cattle can do. Too few of us do what is necessary to help prove it.
Since purchasing our first registered Shorthorns nearly 20 years ago, I have been a strong proponent of data collection. Without this basic information it’s impossible to obtain hard evidence of what direction our individual herds are going. Every calf born here gets an actual BW recorded. I know a lot of folks favor a measuring tape. After experimenting with both I guess the tape is better than nothing. With a good spring scale, I have no doubt about what a new calf weighs. I built a gambrel from 2 inch square tubing that inserts into a standard hitch receiver on either the truck or 4-wheeler. I also purchased a simple sling with iron “D” rings that are attached to a rubberized canvas type band that supports the calf. This also makes it very handy to restrain the calf during the tagging/tattooing. It all gets done within 12 hours of birth.  Calving season is also the time when I most appreciate the inherent docility of this breed as I am no longer inclined to nimbly leap into the back of a pickup to escape a raging cow that’s hell bent on causing me bodily harm.
In my opinion weaning weights are the most economically important data collected as the vast majority of cattle are marketed at weaning. This data often gets neglected due to lack of owning a scale. Prior to being able to buy a scale, I felt that the critical nature of accurate 205 day weights justified the hauling of the calves to a facility that had one I could use.
Few steers stay here until their first birthday, but we do collect YW’s on the bulls and replacement type heifers. Bulls are always scanned for carcass as are the majority of the heifers. This year, due to the uncertainty of the feeder cattle market we are taking a stock trailer load of 16-18 steers to the Tri-State Futurity mentioned in an above post. Weather/roads permitting, we hope to deliver them in early January. Scanning is a good tool. A carcass scored on the rail makes it more definitive.
In another thread, I listed the ultrasound average on the 2014 born bulls that were wintered at the Nancy M. Cummings Research Center near Salmon, ID. This center is owned and managed by the University of Idaho. The bulls there are also tested for feed efficiency with the “Grow Safe” equipment where each bull is given a RFID tag which allows the center to collect individual feed consumption on the cattle. Individual weights of the bulls are taken every two weeks. They weigh each bull on a Monday and then again on the next day and the two weights are averaged for the period to help compensate for difference in water/feed consumption from one day to the next. They are fed a high roughage diet designed to obtain 3 lbs. ADG. The Residual Feed Intake data has very little meaning at this point, as it is only comparing my bulls against each other (one contemporary grouping). Four of the bulls had negative RFI numbers, 2 were very slightly in the positive. They were all ½ siblings. This year we have only two sires represented, but it will at least provide us a little data in comparing the two sires. We do this as an investment in the future.
My point is that until the vast majority of Shorthorn breeders are submitting accurate and complete basic minimum data (BW, WW, and YW) on their cattle, our EPD’s are of very little value to the Industry as a whole.
For too many, EPD’s have become a “breed by the numbers” game. That game is pretty risky when a lot of the EPD’s are generated though previous generations or from cherry picked data. As others have noted: The most economically relevant trait for the commercial cattleman is for a cow to raise a calf every year for several years without excessive inputs. To me, inputs include labor and incidentals such as cows not birthing and caring for their calf unattended, calves that need assistance to grab hold of an oversize teat, hoof trimming, structural incorrectness, temperament, failure to breed back on time, etc.  A live 600 lb. calf sure beats a dead one that had the potential to wean at 700 in the fall!
Librarian, I like the bull in the picture that you posted above. If I’m able to gather more information on his dam I will surely consider using him. However, when you factor in the DOB of 2/10/2012 listed on the ad along with the listed weaning date of 11/29/2012, it indicates that he was weaned from the cow at 294 days of age. This puts him slightly over the adjustment age range. The usual 205 day adj. weaning weight would have put him at about 610 lbs. A 205 day weight that’s acceptable in my opinion. In any regard, I think he’s a good one.
Dr. Wade Shafer from the Simmental Association gives a good power point presentation on EPD’s.
http://www.simmental.org/site/index.php/from-phenotypes-to-epds-the-genetic-model-dr-wade-shafer

I sure appreciate what you're doing Ralph. You are taking the first steps needed. I tried to enter my data the other day. I'm not sure I did it right but we shall see. I do have a question on the 205 day status quo for attaining WW. There are folks out there who state leaving the calf on the cow for 10 months, resources are adequate mind you. Each year will vary but the theory is leaving the calf on the cow this long helps the rumen develop correctly. And the last weeks the cow isn't really producing enough milk to effect her. My calves were weaned at about 270 days as I ran out of grass. I know that's not the normal way of doing things but I just thought I'd put that out there.