Shorthorn Impact 2015 - My thoughts

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

Red Bulls, I'm really glad to hear that you are sending steers to the Tri County Steer Carcas Futurity! Couldn't agree more with your thoughts on what is important. "A live 600 lb. calf sure beats a dead one that had the potential to wean at 700 in the fall!" I also agree with your opinion about EPD's being a "breed by the numbers" game. I am one that is not going to trust or assume that those numbers mean a whole lot unless you know the context and how the breeder has been working those EPD numbers over a long period of time. I definitely think the numbers and the EPD's at their current state can still tell us a lot and gives us information to go from but you better do your homework too! Love that you are working with the Grow Safe feeding systems. This is the system that Leachmans are using and our bull Apostle was tested on for feed efficiency and feed intake, both Leachman specific EPD's. It's the future of the cattle industry in my opinion and we are looking more and more about getting our calves in Grow Safe testing facilities. Next time we talk I need to pick your brain about that some more!

RedBulls

Quote:  "I tried to enter my data the other day. I'm not sure I did it right but we shall see. I do have a question on the 205 day status quo for attaining WW. There are folks out there who state leaving the calf on the cow for 10 months, resources are adequate mind you. Each year will vary but the theory is leaving the calf on the cow this long helps the rumen develop correctly. And the last weeks the cow isn't really producing enough milk to effect her. My calves were weaned at about 270 days as I ran out of grass. I know that's not the normal way of doing things but I just thought I'd put that out there".

Brock- I feel that whatever management tool works best for you is the one you should use for your operation. I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving the calves on the cows for 10 months if your management allows that. I read somewhere that the practice also increases marbling scores and it makes sense to me. The important thing is to take a weaning weight (205 day) in the 180-250 days of age range, even if they will go back on the cows.

For us, it works well to wean in mid-September, as the hay ground at home has good regrowth which gives the calves some excellent grazing. The place where I summer the cattle has about 75 acres of flood irrigated grass with the balance in native sage brush, rabbit brush and some bunch grass. They have to use both the irrigated and native. We have an average of about 11 inches of precipitation here during the growing season so the native range alone would take a lot of acres per cow/calf unit. I like the cows to go into winter in good shape, so pulling the calves off towards the end of the growing season allows them to enter the winter months in good body condition. About a month prior to bringing the calves home, we are able to run the pairs on the landlords harvested hay ground. for 3-4 weeks. It's pretty short, but sure helps extend the grazing season. The cows then return to the big pasture for the balance of the season. We run the yearling replacements with the cows during the summer and fall as I think it is an important "learning" period for them. Our coming 2 year old heifers average 1,050-1,150 lbs. by fall. They've never known any supplements other than salt and mineral. As with most species, the females work a little harder than their male counterparts! We bring the cows home in mid to late December, where they clean up any grazing the calves leave, and are then fed hay through the winter up to about the first to the middle of May.

RedBulls

JTM said:
Red Bulls, I'm really glad to hear that you are sending steers to the Tri County Steer Carcas Futurity! Couldn't agree more with your thoughts on what is important. "A live 600 lb. calf sure beats a dead one that had the potential to wean at 700 in the fall!" I also agree with your opinion about EPD's being a "breed by the numbers" game. I am one that is not going to trust or assume that those numbers mean a whole lot unless you know the context and how the breeder has been working those EPD numbers over a long period of time. I definitely think the numbers and the EPD's at their current state can still tell us a lot and gives us information to go from but you better do your homework too! Love that you are working with the Grow Safe feeding systems. This is the system that Leachmans are using and our bull Apostle was tested on for feed efficiency and feed intake, both Leachman specific EPD's. It's the future of the cattle industry in my opinion and we are looking more and more about getting our calves in Grow Safe testing facilities. Next time we talk I need to pick your brain about that some more!

Josh, if you call just to pick my brain, it will be a short conversation.

aj

Areas are different and enviroments are different. But if you step back and place yourself in a commercial producers shoes.......ask yourself why you would buy a Shorthorn instead of say the proven Angus deal? What would make you wanna take that step? Crossbreeding I think would come up if the producer wanted to set up a three way crossbreeding program. I think Doc had a good point with the freezer beef. The packing plants are getting a strangle hold on the beef industry. I am not sure if it would work but a retained ownership deal possibly organic or drug free type product might be a hope to gain profit and respectability. It almost seems like the commercial guy selling calves has constantly dwindling profit margins. I wonder if 20 years from now a branded beef deal of some kind.......a new business model of some kind may be one way to survive. 90% of small business's are a failure on a national level.

knabe

aj said:
90% of small business's are a failure on a national level.

90% of that comment was a failure on the national level.

10% of that comment was a failure on the local level

knabe

aj said:
I think Doc had a good point with the freezer beef.

the biggest impediments to freezer beef is the USDA, the EPA, local zoning , the environmental impact reporting process, the not in my backyard mentality and the complete detachment of agriculture to 99% of the population.

there's a few other reasons as well.

but good people still keep trying and some are succeeding.

Jasmar

This is Jason Martin from Martindell Shorthorns. Im going to go on a little rant here so forgive me. We are one of the larger breeders of shorthorn cattle in the USA and are becoming increasingly frustated with getting hammered at the stockyards with our steers. This breed is a show breed and thats it. If you dont have a great show heifer what is anything else worth??? Nobody wants to buy a cow unless they can flush her to get a great show heifer. THERE ARE VERY FEW BREEDERS OF SHORTHORN CATTLE!!! There are however alot of banners chasers. Very few are trying to progress the breed they are just chasing a banner and big money.

We got tired of pulling calves out of cows, so we quit breeding for the great show heifers and are trying to breed cattle that will work for us and in the commercial industry. Well guess what, we have a great herd of cattle that are hard to sell in the shorthorn breed because they arent good enough to when a show.  We have an outstanding group of red polled spring bulls that we hope we can sell for something.  No they will not sire a national champion but they have the growth and performance that this breed needs. They have great epd's too for what that worth. They will be more accurate than some thats out there but that another story..lol

We have got to the point of saying to hell with shorthorns and buying some good black bulls and stop getting killed at the yards on our steers.  We could sell half blood heifers alot easier than we can sell shorthorn heifers in the comercial industry. NOBODY WANTS A SHORTHORN IF THEY CANT WIN A SHOW!

The ASA has done nothing but talk about what needs to be done. Where are the avenues to help us as a shorthrn breeder? Where are the feedlots that will buy our steers for black hided prices? They talk about commercial acceptence and getting shorthorn bulls in the commercail sector, can you name one thing they have done to get that done besides saying we need to get bulls out there. We run 125 shorthorns cows and keep 15 to 20 bulls a year. We cut many bulls that angus breeders can keep and sell because we know we cant sell them. This is sad because they are better than alot of angus but if you cant sell them you can keep them. Sure you can spend alot of time to clip them up and present them really pretty to try to sell them but do the angus breeders that sell bulls have to do that??

We have sold our steers privately for the last few years to people who feed them out for beefs and they love them, but guess what they have quit feeding cattle out for different reasons so we have lost the markets WE had found on our own. We are getting tired of paying whole herd fees on 125 cows(146 on this years whole herd figure that up...lol) to get nothing but epd's that for the most part our crap.

Talk is cheap and thats about all we get from the ASA. Again we are one of the larger breeders of shorthorn cattle in the united states(top ten in registrations) and cant sell over 15 bulls a year if we are lucky and the ASA talks about commercil industry! Please what a joke. There are not enough shorthorn bulls in the usa to breed half the cows in any state you want to pick if everybody wanted a shorthorn bull.

I got alot more but tired of typing.
Signed
VERY FRUSTRATED SHORTHORN BREEDER

J

JTM

Jasmar said:
This is Jason Martin from Martindell Shorthorns. Im going to go on a little rant here so forgive me. We are one of the larger breeders of shorthorn cattle in the USA and are becoming increasingly frustated with getting hammered at the stockyards with our steers. This breed is a show breed and thats it. If you dont have a great show heifer what is anything else worth??? Nobody wants to buy a cow unless they can flush her to get a great show heifer. THERE ARE VERY FEW BREEDERS OF SHORTHORN CATTLE!!! There are however alot of banners chasers. Very few are trying to progress the breed they are just chasing a banner and big money.

We got tired of pulling calves out of cows, so we quit breeding for the great show heifers and are trying to breed cattle that will work for us and in the commercial industry. Well guess what, we have a great herd of cattle that are hard to sell in the shorthorn breed because they arent good enough to when a show.  We have an outstanding group of red polled spring bulls that we hope we can sell for something.  No they will not sire a national champion but they have the growth and performance that this breed needs. They have great epd's too for what that worth. They will be more accurate than some thats out there but that another story..lol

We have got to the point of saying to hell with shorthorns and buying some good black bulls and stop getting killed at the yards on our steers.  We could sell half blood heifers alot easier than we can sell shorthorn heifers in the comercial industry. NOBODY WANTS A SHORTHORN IF THEY CANT WIN A SHOW!

The ASA has done nothing but talk about what needs to be done. Where are the avenues to help us as a shorthrn breeder? Where are the feedlots that will buy our steers for black hided prices? They talk about commercial acceptence and getting shorthorn bulls in the commercail sector, can you name one thing they have done to get that done besides saying we need to get bulls out there. We run 125 shorthorns cows and keep 15 to 20 bulls a year. We cut many bulls that angus breeders can keep and sell because we know we cant sell them. This is sad because they are better than alot of angus but if you cant sell them you can keep them. Sure you can spend alot of time to clip them up and present them really pretty to try to sell them but do the angus breeders that sell bulls have to do that??

We have sold our steers privately for the last few years to people who feed them out for beefs and they love them, but guess what they have quit feeding cattle out for different reasons so we have lost the markets WE had found on our own. We are getting tired of paying whole herd fees on 125 cows(146 on this years whole herd figure that up...lol) to get nothing but epd's that for the most part our crap.

Talk is cheap and thats about all we get from the ASA. Again we are one of the larger breeders of shorthorn cattle in the united states(top ten in registrations) and cant sell over 15 bulls a year if we are lucky and the ASA talks about commercil industry! Please what a joke. There are not enough shorthorn bulls in the usa to breed half the cows in any state you want to pick if everybody wanted a shorthorn bull.

Signed
Jason, I feel you, I really do. We are in Ohio and have been getting hit hard for years on our red steers and I feel like I have some very worthy bulls but can't even get a "like" on facebook because they aren't "show bulls". It is exactly how you say it, I got tired of pulling dead calves out of show cows too! I just paid my $1300 to the American Shorthorn Association for the year also. It's tough to swallow for sure. What we did last year was the best move we have ever made. That was to send steers to the Tri County steer carcass futurity in Gregory, Iowa. With all expenses paid including shipping we were able to clear about $1300 per calf. That is the same as selling 550 lb. red shorthorn calves off the farm for $1300! After all these years I have never even came close to that! So this year we got paid what the best black calves in the country got at 550 lbs. Basically $2.36 per pound. When you retain ownership you get paid for the quality of cattle you have. If they perform and grade, then you get paid. I would love for you to seriously consider joining up with us and other passionate Shorthorn breeders to try to get more and more cattle on test and prove that we have a superior product. Best to you and hope things get better for all of us trying to improve things.

aj

knabe.........I was in the process of writing a business plan for owning a small locker plant 15 years ago and I had a locker plant owner tell me run away from the idea........as fast as possible because of over regulation. State and Federal requirements kill little plants he told me. I would agree with jasmar and JTM. Business is hard. I would agree that the Shorthorn breed is currently based almost entirely on selling kids 5,000 dollar show heifers. It is what it is. I think that real acceptance of the Shorthorn breed will be uphill. In reality it may take 20 years. It will take some kind of over whelming proof to get there. If you truly build a better more profitable widget......you may be able to carve out market share. Business models change over time. Financial situations change. If you could prove Shorthorns have more pelvic area and would work better in a terminal cross breeding program you may get some inroads. In my opinion you have to differentiate your self from the Angus somehow. There is no reason for the commercial industry to look for a product other than the Angus right now in my area. If the preference for red hide occurs for some reason.....and it could happen....red cattle would be in the drivers seat. I remember in 1980 when a lot of people considered the Angus cattle to be a joke because of the exotic cattle invasion. In reality trends occur.....it happens.

RyanChandler

What is the delivery date for the tri county test? What is the ideal age/weight at delivery?

Good shorthorn cattle are in demand and bring good money.  Average cattle bring average money. 

J

JTM

librarian said:
A page from the tri county site.
http://www.tcscf.com/SIRE-PROFIT-SUMMARIES.html
The three 2014 reports demonstrate the kind of breed specific information collected and compared. Shorthorns on paged15 and 20, respectively. I don't see that it's sorted differently between shorthorn sired xbred and straight shorthorn.
Those are some pretty sad quality grade results for Shorthorn bulls... 70% low choice or better along with 70% yield grade 1's and 2's is the industry standard of excellence. Shorthorns should be able to get to 70% low choice or better pretty easily but apparently not...  :-\

librarian

JTM said:
librarian said:
A page from the tri county site.
http://www.tcscf.com/SIRE-PROFIT-SUMMARIES.html
The three 2014 reports demonstrate the kind of breed specific information collected and compared. Shorthorns on paged15 and 20, respectively. I don't see that it's sorted differently between shorthorn sired xbred and straight shorthorn.
Those are some pretty sad quality grade results for Shorthorn bulls... 70% low choice or better along with 70% yield grade 1's and 2's is the industry standard of excellence. Shorthorns should be able to get to 70% low choice or better pretty easily but apparently not...  :-\
Don't be discouraged, I bet they'll go up with the YY steers in there!
We can do it and we can bring those numbers up by putting in more animals, then putting in progeny from the sons of the ones that score well.
The first leap of progress is the easiest, then it's a job.
... If someone put Shorthorn sired steers out of Galloway cows in there, I think we'd gain some ground on quality grade, but probably not on yield...I don't have enough land to have enough cows to afford to have enough cows to afford to rent enough land. Talk about frustration.

librarian

But Saskavalley Stampede was highest on quality grade.
From am old thread about Stampede
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/the-big-show/saskvalley-stampede/
..."A personal favorite of mine that doesn't get mentioned enough in Shorthorn circles, or even enough circles on this forum is his MARB.  His daughters this spring collectively ratioed 106 IMF on ultrasound scan against some strong contemporaries.  His sons killed at the Great State Feedout backed this up has being some of the high profit killed cattle and he now ranks in the Top 1% of all active Shorthorn sires for MARB--- in fact he is #14 in the breed, and not all of the top 15 are even walking or available today.  Just a fun fact.  Plus his actual, visual muscle expression is pretty incredible; you wouldn't find many high MARB sires of other breeds to have that kind of muscle expression."

Attachments

• wp_ss_20151222_0004.png
    wp_ss_20151222_0004.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 171

Medium Rare

Duncraggan

Jasmar said:

Signed
Jason, can I give you some advice, for what it is worth. You are welcome to give me negative karma if you disagree with specific points that I mention!
IMO, never send a post when you are VERY FRUSTRATED without having cooled off, read it again, used Spell Check and aired all your views in the post.
I am sure you have heard of the '10000 hours to proficiency' rule. I think there should be some sort of '20 years to proficiency' rule for cattle breeding as well. Let me state for the record that I am not there yet! IMO, unless you have sufficient cash to dispose of your 'show cattle' herd and buy a 'performance herd' you will take a good number of years to breed the former to the latter. You can't expect to go from success in the one to success in the other overnight.
All strategies need to be talked out first, the ASA seems to have a good plan but it needs the 'buy-in' of all the members.
It will take commercially orientated breeders, like RedBulls and JTM in this thread, and others, that are hauling their bullocks to feed-outs, and are achieving good results, to change the perception that Shorthorns are not commercially orientated. Keeping ownership of you bullocks until they are killed seems to be the way to go, judging by the comment on this thread, provided they are commercially orientated that is!
I heard a comment once that one carcass data evaluation was more accurate than, I can't remember how many, but is was lots, of scan data readings. In a nutshell, EPD's without accuracy mean very little!
As a large breeder with goals and opinions on the breed going forward, you should have no trouble in getting yourself elected to the board. Having been in Shorthorn politics myself, not in North America, I have found that the biggest critics are often not prepared to put themselves forward for election to the board. They prefer to sit on the side and make a lot of noise without actually putting their shoulders to the wheel!
With the renewed enthusiasm your new CEO/Executive Secretary has brought to the ASA, and the depth and knowledge of your commercially orientated breeders on the board, you need to grasp this opportunity for pushing the breed to new heights with both hands, if this window of opportunity passes you by the next window will be many years away.

r.n.reed

The feedout data is important to gather on several levels and I have been involved with Tri State feeders whenever I can put a min. of 5 steers by one sire together.I would not get too excited about a sire groups performance until he has repeated that performance more than once.There are so many variables involved, and as we have said before better yet if you can get offspring from other herds.Our breeds steers need to marble but not to the extreme.The higher milk production potential that is typically associated with higher marbling cattle is a detriment to a large percentage of commercial based herds.
We need to keep our eye on the ball,meaning the maternal traits.That is where the money is made for the commercial operator and that is where the Shorthorn needs to shine.How many of you are keeping track of your avg inputs per cow?Are you assigning value to everything you throw at that cow?The progressive commercial operators are.Are you keeping track of calving Intervals,weighing the cows at weaning and checking your weaning weight percentage of cow weight.How old are your cows before they break down.This is info that means dollars and cents to the professional cattleman.
Breeding for phenotype is the easiest part of the business.Duncraggen is right about the 20 year rule, it takes time to find the strains that are reliable producers maternally speaking.Right or wrong I planned the mating that produced 4508 in 2006.10 years later now his first daughters are reaching maturity and in another 3-4 years I will know for sure if I made the right decision.Any where along the line he could have disqualified himself and it would have been start over time.