Sire question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Southpaw

New to the site but have been lurking for awhile.  I have herd of pure bred angus cows and was going to ai to some club calf bulls.  The cows I'd be ai are older 10-11 year old cows that I don't ai anymore to angus.  I have semen available on I80,  shiver, unstoppable, and Texas tornado.  I'd like some opinions on what to breed these older cows to.  Heard horror stories of big calves from clubby bulls.  All cows to be used have all calved since they were two's and haven't missed and are starting to age and udders are starting to sag.  I'd like to get a couple of clubby calves out of them before they get culled.  Any responses will greatly appreciated!

Southpaw

Thanks for the response.  Are there other bulls better on straight angus than others?  These are cows are all about 1300-1350.  Thanks again.  Have six kids that are or will be showing steers so this seems to be a cheaper way to get decent club calves. 

STAL19

Out of the bulls you have available I would go with unstoppable and Texas tornado

Mainevent

I dot know that I would trust an unproven bull. I mean walks alone has proven to be good on straight angus cows, but if I was choosing I'd say unstoppable and shiver

Gargan

U have Texas tornado semen ? I heard he never froze any semen. I would sell it if u have some to make big bucks. and to add some input on I-80, i have a freind that has a super good I80 hfr calf out of a pb angus hfr.

Southpaw

About the Texas tornado semen... Just got it from top sires this week hope there isn't a problem on validity there.  I know tex tor is a young sire are there questions about the ability to produce semen?  Is he at hawkeye?

Any other proven bulls on pb angus cows besides walks alone? 

Thanks for all the input this club calf deal is a new venture a little more unpredictable than angus bulls. 

Cattle Cards

You have 4 different bulls there.  And everyone has an opinion.  Mostly from the heart and not the head.  I'd research each bull, their sires and their dam's breeding.  Just offhand knowing what I know, I'd use Texas Tornado and Unstoppable on the bigger cows, or cows you know to be easy calvers.  On the smaller cow's or cows that might have given you some trouble in the past, use I-80 and Shiver.  That's my 2 cents...good luck!

Southpaw

Thx never had any calving issues with any of these cows.  All Have raised 9 or 10 calves.  But then again most of our angus calves are less than 80 lbs.  only a few get over 80 lbs. 

Cattle Cards

Just read my post again and delete the easy calvers and problem calvers.  Breed the larger framed cows to TT and Unstoppable and smaller framed to the more calving ease bulls, I-80 and Shiver.  If you're concerned, breed them all to the later two this year and see what happens.  If they do ok, the use the others the following year...I don't have a crystal ball.  Better to be safe than take a good cow that has produced for you, breed to an unproven clubby sire and have problems.  Again, just my two cents.

mark tenenbaum

Texas Tornado is so massive-hed have to be on the bottom of that list for calving ease-you have 2 of the best CE bulls in Shiver and i-80-Maine Angus is a great cross-Id use unstoppable and Texas Tornado on the lower BW cows-4 good bulls-just depends on the cow

chambero

What part of the world your in affects the decision - hair only shows, slick shows, etc.

In general, Walks Alone throws very stout calves that are pretty good structure wise and is fine on calving ease for what he is.  The biggest trouble on his calves is getting them "soft looking" enough which is why the purebred Angus mating works pretty well.  I've always had great conception and pretty consistent calves with him.

I'm not a real big fan of purebred clubby Charolais on straight cows.  It flat won't work if you are trying to get steers.  Half blood Charolais clubby bulles (YJ, Milkman, etc) work better, but it is still long odds to get a highly competetive steer.  Texas Twister needs a real long-necked cow.  He works best on long-necked, clubby cows that need softening up on their legs and in their body.  He can fix one that's too straight.

It's still pretty hard to get a high end show steer out of a purebred Angus cow.  There is nothing better than a PB Angus cow to make show steer producing female though.  If they were mine, I breed them to an Irish Whiskey son (I like Cerveza).  I-80 could work in that role, but I like the Whiskey bloodlines better than the Ali bloodline.  I have not used I-80 myself.

Personally, I had pretty poor conception with Unstoppable last fall. 

Southpaw

TT is the bull the kids picked out guess they are tired of black cows here!  We have hair shows here in pa of course it's hard to get hair on my angus steers.  I guess another question is the soundness of these bulls and I guess that's what drew me to unstoppable as I was told he was super sound.  All our angus cows have to be sound as they are on hilly pasture year round.  I kid who helps us out and kept his show string at our place had a stout monopoly heifer last year and after the show we bred her to an low bw angus bull and wow what a difference a year on pasture did to her.  She calved fine and is a good mother but did she ever get post legged.  Won't breed her again.  It's a shame as she is doing a good job raising her bull calf.  I am hoping to get a few clubby/angus heifers the first year and breed them clubby.  I have six kids that will be showing for the next 15 years so this is a long term project.