Starting a new Shorthorn Association for Cattle Breeders

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

aj said:
I would be interested in forming a new breed.

But you need someone else to pay for it right?

Who would be the target purchasers?

What evidence do you have they want a 4-way bull on their commercial cows?

You left out the Maines in you herd.

Maybe you could call them scamgus

aj

I googled Irish black........there is also a Irish red I guess. Herdbook closed in1973 I think. Freisen x Angus deal. Are there special lawyers out their that handle new beef breed associations? Trademarks......LLC's.......are their lawyers who specialize in trademarking? Once you close a herd book I guess its closed.........but I assume that  there may be a loophole to generate new genetics. Not sure how the Beefmasters or Santa Gertrudis handle it. A new association or breed......thinking outside the box if nothing else. They say 90% of small start up companies go broke though.

iowabeef

You left out the Maines in you herd.

It should be "your" not you.....be careful of glass houses...just saying

knabe

There are special lawyers. They are non-profit and all the successful association lawyers pay their salaries and from all the non-profit breed associations.

aj

In theory......if .....if there was Shorthorn cow that was near perfect.......that the breed and more importantly.....the industry thought was perfect by carcass standards and what not......maternally. What would keep a major packing company from buying her.......linebreeding her with a son? The y would claim that they took the creme off the top.....took the best the Shorthorn breed could offer......and      They would sart a new breed that would be closed herdbook......and through some kinda super embryo transplant deal and cloning.....they would raise all the beef that went through their kill plant through this initial cow's offspring. I could see this model becoming a possibilty. Its out there though with all the new technology. Even if it was a smaller meat company......maybe a glorified locker beef deal that just exploded in growth because of demand for this perfect beef.......a branded beef.....a tight uniform product.

knabe

What is so wrong with that?

They wouldn't need a breed association at all.

They would just contract out producers.

Why are you so against capitalism.

More importantly why haven't you done it?

aj

It probably wouldn't be feasible but.....in theory.....take the perfect tasting steer........and then clone him over and over. You would have a branded product......that was perfectly consistent every single meal. It would be equivilent to a 100,000 dollar single malt bottle of scotch.

knabe

Costs would come down as an equilibrium was found between buyers and sellers.

You apparently have no idea how competition and capitalism works.

RyanChandler

knabe said:
-XBAR- said:
Only if your questioning someone's credibility in the process  (lol)

Another error. It's not your, it's you are or you're. And yes I am questioning your credibility.
You literally speak with the worst syntax of any educated man I've encountered.  You're post are regularly littered with spelling and grammar errors. I apologize in advance for any errors Siri might make.
From your rants, you would either like to be king or a tory, or have pure democracy, really tyranny, but it is clear you don't want to run for office as justifying your ideas in a representative arena and in person requiring running for office and a little more courage than you have. Much better to complain in an online forum. Courage?  You sit there and ramble behind your anonymous screen name.

Run for office, win, and show us how to run an an association. We are all eager to learn. Maybe you could enlist all your supporters in your emails and get them to vote for you. From your one extensive example, they agree with me more than you on government and a process to air grievances and solutions.

Maybe so. But then again, those that oppose my initiatives are the problem; not the solution.  Not 1 reasonable explanation for opposing mandatory reporting.  And don't worry, I report ALL my info.

knabe

Let's have some stats strawman.

As usual you provide none. Your arbitrary scale of errors excusing yours but skewering others only reveals your incoherency and your continual inability to play by the same set of rules you want to impose on others. Most posts anyone posts on any forum are not reviewed for errors. Your inability to listen and your need to look for the smallest reason to not listen is why you can't communicate with those who differ from you and why you tear down first rather than build up or try to understand others. In a debate I can imagine you interrupgting and looking for the shortest pause possible before speaking and raising your voice.

I'm pretty sure it's easy to coomunicate with anyone on this board. It's pretty clear what screen names are for.

From your post, it's obvious you are more concerned about other's courage than your own.

Run for office.

knabe

i'll make you a deal courage toddler.

you run for and get elected to the ASA board and i'll start posting under my name.

aj

90% of start up companies fail. I assume that the same would be true of new breeds. In order to be successfull the name of the breed would have to be self explanatory. New breeds are thought of as goofy enough. They would have to fill a niche.......possibly clamming onto a all natural meat line somehow. I supose that if you wanted to expand breeding numbers......numbers of purebred herds.....the breed would have to be in the right place at the right time. The people starting the new breed would have to be young enough to make a 15 year breeding plan feasible along with probably a next generation person to reap the rewards. I think you would have to prove superiority.......such as win pen carcass tests year after year........some kinda numbers......meaningful numbers.

knabe

Why is saying demand for something is necessary to prove an economic model rather than winning a carcass pen. Didn't know the packer bought blue ribbons.

You guys who continually say how the association ought to do this and that and getting called on it is not being a cranky pants. You guys are the cranky pants. You get called out on your own words and this is somehow cranky?

You get cranky about asterisks and all you offer is a multiverse solution you want someone else to pay for and I point this out?  That is not being cranky. I call that being observant and pointing out the true cranky pants. Look in the mirror and you will find the cranky pants faster.

Okotoks

I have seen this happen with other breeds. A group splits off and starts their own registry and five years later the combined registrations of the two organizations is half what the original one was. It's pretty much a recipe for extinction. If other associations don't recognize your registry where are you going to sell your seedstock. Last week I was talking to an Australian that was lamenting he could no longer buy from a world renowned herd as they had joined a splinter group and stopped registering with the main association. I have attended American association work shops during the annual meetings in Denver. The directors were there asking for input and if you were not there giving your ideas don't blame them blame yourself. Take some responsibilty, get some like minded people together and attend meetings with good arguments and plans. It is so easy to take your marbles and go home then blame the people that are actually involved.

aj

I don't know why I am lumped into the "group". I don't care about an * in any shape or form....I don't care. If there is an upstart branded beef outlet.....it would be nessecary to push or promote carcass quality......not in antedotal fashion.....but in volume year after year. They probably don't care about Lucy Janes 4-h calf results......but if you have 8 years of kill sheets with favorable data on them a ceo might sit up and listen. I assume a end product is meat to eat. I don't have a clue where you are going now knabe.