steer opinions w/ more pictures

Help Support Steer Planet:

rackranch

I talking about breed classification... not light, medium, or heavy weight class..
This calf does not show enough american characteristics to class Brangus, ie sheath score, dulap, ear, ect...

fordkindagirl said:
Our classes are by weight not breed/type.
rackranch said:
I Don't think he will class???

fordkindagirl said:
Just adding the fact that he is a Brangus. Not sure if that changes anything.

OH Breeder

What kind of show in February? If its a jackpot he might take it hard as he has some weakness's. If you are showing against cattle of same quality then he should be okay.He is little heavy fronted and bit narrow in his top only from the pictures you have taken. I think weight may change him a bit in apperance.

If that is a halter you leave on him all the time?, take it off. It will rub the hair off his face and the top of his head.

fordkindagirl

OH Breeder said:
What kind of show in February? If its a jackpot he might take it hard as he has some weakness's. If you are showing against cattle of same quality then he should be okay.He is little heavy fronted and bit narrow in his top only from the pictures you have taken. I think weight may change him a bit in apperance.

If that is a halter you leave on him all the time?, take it off. It will rub the hair off his face and the top of his head.
It is a school district show, and to be honest (no offense meant) there are a lot of steers way better than him (even way better than mine). I believe the steer pictured was close to last pick (38 out of 44 or something similar).

Bradenh

why are you telling us about this calf and not the owner. or who ever started the post. anybody other than me think that may be the reason that nobody on here can figure out what breed the calf is? and where were those pics taken. i recognize that barn

fordkindagirl

Show stopper 95 said:
why are you telling us about this calf and not the owner. or who ever started the post. anybody other than me think that may be the reason that nobody on here can figure out what breed the calf is? and where were those pics taken. i recognize that barn
I was just trying to help her get opinions ( I know her and she has always tried to help me out), can't judge something if you don't know what it is. And I have my steer at the same barn but I will let her tell you where/what it is.

cutieputie0093

fordkindagirl said:
Just adding the fact that he is a Brangus. Not sure if that changes anything.
he's not brangus. none of the steers for our show are. they are commercial crosses. but i had a breeder look at mine and he is a simmy/key cross. nothing for our show has brangus in them we paid 1200 and something for them. we aint gettin a full blood brangus from a lot feeder for that price.

cutieputie0093

Ok sorry  I wasnt on for a few days! but ok he is a "Chi/simmy" cross. Not angus not brangus. My dad wrote what the breeder said he was as "key/simmi" and I've only delt with hereford, brangus, angus and beefmaster. So I had no clue what in the world kinda breed that was. So excuse the incorrect spelling. But for our school livestock show  we get some really poor lookin feed lot calves with only a handful that look like show steers. My ag teacher's don't know what kind of breed he his they got 40 some odd calves and none are the same breed so i highly doubt they can tell me my steer is a full bred brangus or angus. and he shows no characteristics of being of either of the breeds. now thats just a load of bull. And the fact that he is white under the belly only helps to prove my point. So there you go that is his breed mixture from what you can tell from the eye. but my steer is starting to fill out and put cover over his ribs very nicely and starting to open up in the brisket so I think he'll do just fine come show time. Thanks everyone for you comments!  ;D

cutieputie0093

OH Breeder said:

i only leave his halter on when he is out to pasture. he is pretty square and has a really nice hip but pictures rarely do these animals justice unless they are posed.

fordkindagirl

cutieputie0093 said:
OH Breeder said:

i only leave his halter on when he is out to pasture. he is pretty square and has a really nice hip but pictures rarely do these animals justice unless they are posed.
Yeah, agree with you on the fact that our ag teachers know nothing, my bad for believing them. And here is what a breeder (Has been in the cattle business a lonnggg time and had wins at nationals and major shows like Houston with his own cattle) that I know has said about this steer (and has seen him in person): Breaks at the shoulder, breaks in the middle, steep hindquarters, no flank,  mr.potato head head and neck (meaning they look like they don't belong nor look good) no depth or thickness, too much dewlap, almost too straight in the front end, and not finishing like he should. And he is not the only one that has said some of those things.

cornershack

ok. so if your showing against ford kida girl. beat her butt  in showmanship!!!! it doesn't  matter what her "expert" says, if you like the steer, good for you. sounds like you get a pool to pick from so that everyone is pretty even. more fairs should be that way. im guessing that you draw numbers? good luck and remember the most important thing.  HAVE A GOOD TIME! its about sportsmanship. im curious where are the pics of your steer Fordkindagirl?

shortyjock89

cornershack said:
ok. so if your showing against ford kida girl. beat her butt  in showmanship!!!! it doesn't  matter what her "expert" says, if you like the steer, good for you. sounds like you get a pool to pick from so that everyone is pretty even. more fairs should be that way. im guessing that you draw numbers? good luck and remember the most important thing.   HAVE A GOOD TIME! its about sportsmanship. im curious where are the pics of your steer Fordkindagirl?

More fairs should NOT be that way. I would have never shown in a Jr. competition if it had been that way.

fordkindagirl

cornershack said:
ok. so if your showing against ford kida girl. beat her butt  in showmanship!!!! it doesn't  matter what her "expert" says, if you like the steer, good for you. sounds like you get a pool to pick from so that everyone is pretty even. more fairs should be that way. im guessing that you draw numbers? good luck and remember the most important thing.   HAVE A GOOD TIME! its about sportsmanship. im curious where are the pics of your steer Fordkindagirl?
Sent you a PM

fordkindagirl

cornershack said:
well not evey kid/family has $5,000+ to spend on a project calf.
My steer cost the same as hers. We select through a lotto system, the ag teachers go buy the steers and on selection day we select a number and then choose out of the steers they bought.

shortyjock89

cornershack said:
well not evey kid/family has $5,000+ to spend on a project calf.

You don't need that much money to go out and find a good one. I've bought plenty of good calves for $1500. 

cornershack

i commend you, some of these guys selling 3000 and 5000 and even more obsene 10,000 dollar steer to families. we've all seen them on the internet online and at sales.  i just feel strongly that if the playing field were level(er) more kids would have the chance at that purple  banner. not just the kid(lets face it MOM & DAD) who is willing to pay many thousands. what are they teaching their kids? certainly not economics. ok enough of my soap box, ive opened a whole new can of worms.

to the young lady who posted the pic and wanted opinions. careful what you wish for. he does have problems. but he is what you have to work with. make the best of it. and good luck.