steer opinions w/ more pictures

Help Support Steer Planet:

cutieputie0093

cornershack said:
ok. so if your showing against ford kida girl. beat her butt  in showmanship!!!! it doesn't  matter what her "expert" says, if you like the steer, good for you. sounds like you get a pool to pick from so that everyone is pretty even. more fairs should be that way. im guessing that you draw numbers? good luck and remember the most important thing.   HAVE A GOOD TIME! its about sportsmanship. im curious where are the pics of your steer Fordkindagirl?
haha thanks! and yeah I know everyone has their own opinions and each steer has their own flaws and it is a competition so I don't expect everyone to be nice about things.  ;D

cutieputie0093

fordkindagirl said:
cutieputie0093 said:
OH Breeder said:
What kind of show in February? If its a jackpot he might take it hard as he has some weakness's. If you are showing against cattle of same quality then he should be okay.He is little heavy fronted and bit narrow in his top only from the pictures you have taken. I think weight may change him a bit in apperance.

If that is a halter you leave on him all the time?, take it off. It will rub the hair off his face and the top of his head.
i only leave his halter on when he is out to pasture. he is pretty square and has a really nice hip but pictures rarely do these animals justice unless they are posed.
Yeah, agree with you on the fact that our ag teachers know nothing, my bad for believing them. And here is what a breeder (Has been in the cattle business a lonnggg time and had wins at nationals and major shows like Houston with his own cattle) that I know has said about this steer (and has seen him in person): Breaks at the shoulder, breaks in the middle, steep hindquarters, no flank,  mr.potato head head and neck (meaning they look like they don't belong nor look good) no depth or thickness, too much dewlap, almost too straight in the front end, and not finishing like he should. And he is not the only one that has said some of those things.
we will see come show time!

cutieputie0093

Bain Simmental said:
Aren't most of these lotto style shows more of a showmanship show anyways?
yeah i think it is cause most of the animals we get dont even look like show animals. its easier with lambs and goats cause you can put them on a treadmill but with a steer or hog its pretty much what you get, how you feed and how feed it. last year i won grand with my lamb and had 2nd pick out of 66 so it has a lot to do with your draw number too.

Bain Simmental

Im in TX as well we never did the whole lottery thing at my school but ivehad some friends that did. I like the concept of the show it really teaches you to work with what life has given you and do your best. Showmanship means a lot and you can show yourself up several notches in the class.

I think it would also help people give you advice if only the owners responded about the breeding of the animal instead of going off of what somebody told somebody that told someone else.

vc

I would think that even with a lottery system the top 5 steers are going to be quite a bit better than the bottom 5. So the kid who draws the last number does not have that "Fair Shot" that some are always looking for.
Part of raising the animals, is selecting the best one for the money you have to spend, getting the last steer in the lottery is not quite my Idea of a selection.

We have 3 type at our fair:

The one that are in it to win (buy good cattle have a cool box or an area the they at least can have the animals out of the light and run misters and fans. Rinse them 2 or 3 times a day, know how to feed, go to the jackpots and show through the year.

The kids who want to win but work with their calves daily but not to the extint group one does, they go get cattle from club calf breeders but go to one sale and settle for the calf they can get with their first bid. (just a little over market) or they go to commercial ranches that let them sort through their cattle and sale them for 10 cents over market. Do well in their classes and some times get to the final drive.

Group three, pay as little as they can, feed the animal, and start working with the animal a week before the fair. These are also the kids who complain the most about , hair, club calves, money spent, we need an even playing field. they would still end up where they are in their class if all the animals where cloned because they do not put in the time.

We have a school in the area that the Ag teacher finds all the kids animals for them, The steers are club calf bred, at first glance they all look pretty good. Once you start studying them it is easy to see why they got them for a low price. The animals are the rejects, structure issues like, crippled, toe out  bad, cow hocked buckled over at the knees or so straight it like the are walking with their joints fused to gether. These calves are the ones most guys would send to the sell yard not sell to a kid.

The school on the other side of town. had contracts for all the steers they raised this year, they bought commercial animals, fed them commercial feed, and sold them for a set price after the fair, not one animal went through the auction. They raised their animal and made a proffit, what one might call a project animal.