Very sad news.. re: Herefordfootball - Chris Cummings...

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

Only the good die young. Wise and mature beyond his age with plenty of compassion for all. Chris will be greatly missed by many. Sympathy and prayers to the Cumming's family in their time of loss,pain, and grief. (angel), Brent

shortyjock89

I was lucky enough to get to know Chris pretty well over the last couple years, and worked on his calves a number of times at shows.  I was actually going to be spending next week with Chris and his family at the Hereford Jr. National, and I was really really looking forward to it.  I think I'll still go, if for nothing else than to take it all in and send up a prayer to him letting him know how bad all those Herefords stink.  I didn't even know what to say when his father called me, and I still don't know what to say.  I will miss him a LOT, he was a great friend to me, and there will definitely never be another like him.

mooch

A real testament to him as a person that he was still on here posting about his cattle and plans for the future up til the very end. His parents should be proud of the son they raised as he was a good person.

SKF

So sorry to hear! (angel) (angel) (angel) I will keep his family in my prayers and thoughts during this difficult time.

Cowboy

God Speed young man,  God Speed.

You will be missed.

I didn't know you - but I do know your family should be proud to have raised such a fine young man.

Terry and family

Simnetix

WOW!!  When I read the original post of Chris' passing, it threw me in the chair.   Talked to Chris many times and as many have mentioned on here, I can say with the most sincerity that Chris was a very bright, smart young man well beyond his years.

Chris often would talk me through his fight with cancer, but not one time did he complain, only describe to me what it was he was battling.   I always would apologize for what he was going through, especially at his age.  He was quick to assure me he was fine and soon he'd be back at full speed.  Never once did he question that he'd beat this disease.

I'm sure I speak for everyone on SP in saying, this is devestating to his family, whom obviously raised this young man the right way and to those have been privilaged enough to get to know Chris.  What's really sad is all of the people that won't get to know Chris, he really did bring so much positivity and happiness with something as simple as a phone call.  He would have touched many more.

God has a plan and needed Chris in heaven.  See you on the other side Chris.

HAB

Enjoyed reading Chris' posts, he will be missed.  Never met him, but can see he touched many lives.  Prayer's for his friends and family.

CAB

Went back and found Chris' last subject posted this morning and from there went to a function that gathered all of his threads. Very nice young man. So willing to try to help PPL. It seemed like he had been on the Planet forever, but his registration was 4/09.  Great young man!! <beer>

STCC

this is my favorite article about Chris!

Thursday, December 21, 2006
When you wish upon a steer: Teen with cancer receives, shows Hereford
by Other News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Chris Cummings’ wish came true Dec. 2 as he stood in the livestock arena at the 2006 Hoosier Beef Congress in Indianapolis.
This 15-year-old from Union Mills, Ind., who is battling cancer, was able to show a Hereford steer at the congress because of a wish granted by the Indiana Children’s Wish Fund.
The wish. When Cummings was in Indianapolis for chemotherapy earlier in the year, Clarian North’s Center for Children’s Cancer and Blood Diseases staff presented him with the paperwork to apply for a wish - any wish.
Most folks wouldn’t understand why of all the gifts he could’ve requested, Cummings chose to receive and show a steer.
He explained, “I thought it’d be neat to get a steer instead of a video game or something like that. You get a real-life experience out of raising an animal.”
Cummings chose Hereford because he likes the look of the breed and has shown a Hereford steer before at the La Porte County Fair. Cummings said the congress was a whole new experience because of its caliber, with more than 1,400 cattle exhibited.
Family event. He enjoyed the event with his dad and mom, Tom and Carol, as well as his brother, Tom.
“We had a lot of fun showing,” Cummings said. “I’d never shown at anything bigger than the county fair.”
His brother added, “It definitely helped Chris, and we all enjoyed it, too. It took our minds off things.”
In addition to the steer, the Indiana Children’s Wish Fund gave Cummings an aluminum grooming chute, combs, halters and other fitting supplies to make the day complete.
Members of Cummings’ community also played a large role in the success of his wish. Les Craft, a family friend and rancher in La Porte County, helped acquire the Hereford steer from Larry Vukonich of Joliet, Mont. Craft then broke the steer to lead.
Neighbor and 4-H leader, Dan Youngreen, helped with clipping and grooming. More friends - Joy Griffin, Rob Fisher and Dave Ambers - helped with items like transportation and show entries.
Griffin also gifted a crossbred steer to Cummings to add to his 4-H project, and helped him and his brother prepare for the congress.
The family said that Griffin’s guidance helped make this first experience a memorable one for the whole crew.
Show results. When all was said and done, Cummings’ steer stood sixth in its class of 11 at the congress, and Cummings stood by his side, proud of his accomplishment and grateful for those who helped him along the way.
“We really appreciate the help and support,” he said.
The Hereford steer, Bob, remains at the Cummings farm, and Cummings plans to show him at the county fair this summer, and possibly even at the Michigan Beef Expo.
“If people knew what the wish does for a kid, a lot more people would be donors,” his mom said.
“It’s absolutely phenomenal.”
She explained that when Cummings found out about the wish, his chemotherapy went easier, and now Cummings looks forward to feeding his steer each morning.

kanshow

What a great article and opportunity!  I'd say that they picked real winner when they granted that wish.

Chris was a very special young man. 

BlazinA

Here is an idea as a tribute to Chris.  OlsonFamily Shorthorn mentioned  helping Chris at Jr. National next week  so I assumed Chris had been working hard to get his cattle ready.  I just checked the Hereford web site and he has 3 animals entered.    Wouldn't  it be a neat tribute to see his cattle shown at Jr. Nationals next week?  Not sure if possible but I am assuming someone would need to contact the association first to get an exception and then find someone to be responsible to get the cattle there and taken care of.  I am sure plenty of people  would help at Nationals.  I did not know Chris but felt like I knew him through all his posts.  I would be willing to contact the association to get the ball rolling  if someone would be willing to contact the family to get their appoval and  be responsible for his cattle.  Time is short since the cattle have to be in this weekend.  If someone has already thought of this great but if not my number is 515-961-2656/day or evening 5847. 

Just a re-enforcement of what Hevemando said about talking to the Family.  I also had friends loose their daughter from a tragic accident and they said the same thing.  It really helped when someone would talk about their daughter and by name.  Also they said do not abandon them because you don't know what to say.  Remember the person by talking about them and remember the special days.   

msutherlin

I wanted to let you know how much the family enjoyed all of your comments.  So much I registered, just so I could print all the comments, they would like them for memory purposes!  You are all very great ppl!  ;)

Show Heifer

Fabulous idea BlazinA!  If anyone deserves an exception it would be Chris!  Sounds like he had great support in the community and I am sure volunteers would be lining up!

kanshow

What a wonderful idea!  I would hope they'd make this one exception.  I have a feeling that there would be an guiding angel right there with those showmen.