Wanting Red Angus maternal bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Red Cow Relocators

Brent, I'm letting the cat out of the bag a little early here but we are close enough to being up and running to go public now.

We have been aproached by some breeders about marketing semen on their bulls as an added service to our Red Cow Relocators business. We will have an ad in the upcoming R A magazine and will have it added to our web page in the near future. I believe that there are some tremendous herd bulls out there that the major semen companies don't look at. I will list some of the bulls we will have registration numbers for those of you who want to look them over. 1438951, 1438844, 1318493, 1169221, 773601, 1372419, 1151261, 1309768. There will be several more additions to the list when we officially go public.

cowman 52

We used a bull out of Australia viceroy,  Black pedigree way back.  Survived the drougt) from he'll 3inches rain,  4 wild fires. No grass and these heifers hung on and every one bred up and calved,  raised a calf despite every thing that was thrown at them,  they look like their dams,  if mom is big then she tends to be,  and the converse .  Have semen in tank and will use it again.  Think if things were great the heifers would be just as good.  Red angus are real big on this bull of the moment deal. And that is where I think they miss the boat.  Not enough work on putting together a maternal line. Just have bragging rights that I have x number of daughters of X bull.

redbreeders

CAB is absolutely right - the Red Angus breed is full of top notch, very supportive and down to earth people.  We love the people and the breed itself!  Cowman 52 has hit the nail on the head, though - a huge problem in our breed is that breeders go for what is the latest bull being promoted or what is selling the hottest at other sales.  Few take care to look into mothers and look at the udder conformation specifically  or to wait until daughters have been in production for a while to see what they will do.  It is frustrating because it quickly propagates bad genetics through our breed.  Take Conquest for example - stellar bulls...incredible phenotype with calving ease  and everyone is using him or a son of his but ask them about daughters and things are pretty hush, hush.  We wondered why until we finally tracked down a picture of his mother.  A beautiful cow - very deep and appears to be easy fleshing with an attractive head but the teat length is horrendous, the teats are very close together and her hooves are curling!  Wake up breeders!  If we are interested in the longevity of our breed, we have got to pay closer attention to the maternal side of things and not be stuck on the quick buck!  We are looking for bulls that have power as well as a record of being out of a cow with/ having daughters in production that display impeccable udder structure, teat size and placement on the quarters.  As you can well imagine, this makes finding AI and herd sires lots of fun!  If anyone knows of any that will fit the bill, please respond!

cowman 52

Gong to brag a little, just finished calving the second set of viceroy heifers,bred to expectation, we have had a 3 year drought, and ashamed to say it burning a lot of prickly pear for a green feed,  these udders on these. Heifers are  very good, don't have a hungry calf anywhere, and teats are just right. The calves were 55 to 60 lbs,  active, will hold opinion on them till it rains, if ever