What is in your tank you wish you had never bought ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Aussie

Doing inventory on my tank the other day and there were "Those Straws"  You know the ones.
  • The ones where you heard on the grape vine "xxxx" would be the next big thing thought you would get in on the ground floor.
  • The AI rep said this bull will fix your herds problem with milk / temperament / structure / etc only to come back in two years and say "yer well you now might need to use another we got that abit wrong".
Some of mine. Some that may and do work in other herds but have been disasters in mine.
The Carrier bulls I bought some OK but now not in the seedstock industry- Future Direction, LCC Dillion, Rito 2V1
Bulls that did not grow or milk that well - BC Matrix, SAV Predominant
Bulls with structure problems - BT Ultravox. He was huge here great figures out cross pedigree very heavily used by studs big and small and his progeny structure in the back end was crap. Mohnen Dynamite. Read Ultravox
Just bad - Summitcrest Hi Flyer
If you would like to out yourself on a bad bull buy of any breed or tell me how good these are. Post away. One mans trash is anothers treasure so all this semen about 150 straw is free to anyone interested you just organize and pay shipping

vanridge

Aussie said:
Bulls that did not grow or milk that well - BC Matrix, SAV Predominant

SAV Predominant? Really? Was that in just your herd or is that a general consenus? Were looking for a new black angus bull so I'd like to know what to look out for.

Willard

I wish i would have never spent my money on Star Power semen, ill give it to him he was a good looking bull for the Simmental industry, but he just never worked out. I also bought some Womanizer that i was  not happy with.

trevorgreycattleco

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Future Direction 5321?  Are people really just throwing that stuff away now?

I remeber not long ago it was very pricey. I had a bunch of that in my tank when I worked for genex. One day my boss shows up and takes it all :-\. Aussie, what was wrong with FD in your opinion? I always thought his carcass data was phenomenal. I still would use him in a terminal situation.

Till-Hill

Willard said:
I wish i would have never spent my money on Star Power semen, ill give it to him he was a good looking bull for the Simmental industry, but he just never worked out. I also bought some Womanizer that i was  not happy with.
Amen to that. Or when they first promoted him as a calving ease bull and I custom bred 2 heifers to him and the next year nope he ain't even close to an easy calver!

knabe

i have the opposite problem.

i purchased some and can't get it.

scrap iron must be paying a lot right now to keep it on ice.

Simmgal

The person we went through got me DB Hard Drive (Hereford) instead of Direct Hit. And we had to buy it in packages of 5, and I have only used one and the calf was really poor-doing. I have 4 now..Anyone want some?

bryan6807

Add me to the Star Power list, Also add any of the recent Lautner bulls to my list, I have a very fertile set of cows and attempted to use Lautner bulls and only 1 out of 10 took, turned around and used bulls from Brad Hook and Top sires and over 60% took.

cpubarn

I haven't used any of my Sin City (Shorthorn) semen.

One reason I like cattle visions is that you can just get 2-3 if you only want to use a bull on a couple of cows.  

I also had the problem of attempting to order a simmental bull, but got angus semen by a bull with the same name, not knowing it until it was thawed and headed to the cow.

Mark

Aussie

trevorgreycattleco said:
Jeff_Schroeder said:
Future Direction 5321?  Are people really just throwing that stuff away now?

I remeber not long ago it was very pricey. I had a bunch of that in my tank when I worked for genex. One day my boss shows up and takes it all :-\. Aussie, what was wrong with FD in your opinion? I always thought his carcass data was phenomenal. I still would use him in a terminal situation.
TGCC Carcase wise a very good bull. I am not doing to much terminal mainly stud and with a small herd can not take the chance of getting a dirty one. I also know you have some black semen in your tank of no use  ;)
Vanridge. I use some of Predominate and got a few daughters from good cow lines and was not happy with them bulls OK but not females. Was a bit used here but would say lost his popularity. Still some Net Worth being used.

firesweepranch

I bought some See N Stars, a clubby half simm bull. I never use half simm, we always try to breed up. But thought I would have it "just in case". Every time I am looking over my semen log to see what I have and what I need, I always think "now why did I buy that semen???" ???

HAB

TC Total - Angus

We bred him to a few of our best Angus cows.  Got 3 calves, 2 heifers (completely wrecked the udders of the cows, mothers had perfect udders, heifers had goat teats), 1 bull / steer ...fine boned, no muscling, worst calf of the 8 she has had in her lifetime.

HAB

Diamond

yea, add me to that star power list.

Also alias, talk about your bad legs yeash,

bryan6807

I thought Star Power took one of the prettiest pictures I had ever seen for a bull. No love for him here though.

cdncowboy

Gigolo Joe, did just what a gigolo should do - not get anyone pregnant!  Why I'm keeping the rest I'm not sure.
Wedding Crasher - couple decent calves then he comes up THC & PHAC, I could live with the TH but that PHA scares the hell out of me.

olsun

Cowboy Cut, turned out to be a pha carrier, and what calves we got, we didn't really care for.