What is in your tank you wish you had never bought ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ploughshare

ROMAX said:
OH Breeder said:
CAB said:
Power Blitz. Did anyone ever get a good calf out of him?

Was he an ABS sire late 80's early 90's?
I think I used him on a Simmi cross cow. We ended up pretty good for county fair project.
Just looked at a 2001 sire catalog from ABS and POWER BLITZ is in there,how could a clubby bull born in '89 be relevant in 2001?

I believe he was a Power Plant out of a chi cross cow from Klingner.  He would have been relevant if ABS would have had a stock pile of straws.

furinsilex

For me in really comes down to one bull that wasnt that bad but that we were idiotic and stocked up on.  We had a good hannibal calf like 4 years ago.  Bred several more to him the next year.  All 4 of them werent bad calves but you could have drove a truck under them with all the leg they had.  The bad part was before we got those 4 i heard he died and we had liked him and that first calf well enough we bought 2 canes.  Still have a majority of that semen, anyone want it we wont be using it.

ROMAX

Woody said:
Look at WMW he is a 96 if im not mistaken.  734, wmw, ext, some older bulls work better on todays genetics than they did from their own generation.  I doubt that applies to PB though.
Exactly ,that same catolog had WMW,and HEETSEEKER in it,so in 2001 we were already breeding for moderate frame not six foot tall greyhounds.

knabe

Woody said:
Look at WMW he is a 96 if im not mistaken.  734, wmw, ext, some older bulls work better on todays genetics than they did from their own generation.  I doubt that applies to PB though.

more hybrid vigor?

A.I.GUY

Well I have bought some bulls that haven't worked on the cows I have bred them to, usually though as a bull get's more proven I find out that I just used him on the wrong kind of cow. Some cows have good calves no matter what u breed them to, some cows will work good one time with a bull and  then don't seem to ever work again with the same mating, some cows never raise a good calf, doesn't make it the bull's fault. We all need to remember the cow supplies half of the genetics, it is a very entertaining bunch of responses!! I feel for the people that had problems, Lord knows we all have had them.  Yep Hannibal can give u plenty of leg but also some of the prettiest front ends ever. Heetseeker's can be downright nasty but can look good doing it, but when he worked he really worked, and Star Power got a bad rap with the calving ease thing, and I've heard a lot people say he is a dink, but if you use him as a simmental bull to add growth he works really well. Power Blitz though, wow ABS really, he was in there book forever, although maybe he was good, I just never ever seen a calf out of him or heard of one out of him.

Woody

IMO powerblitz came on the ABS scene when they didnt  have many clubby bulls out, so if they had a customer ask for a clubby bull they had one that would "work" for what they wanted.  And what else do you do with a couple thousand units of semen that nobody wants?  It didnt cost them much to keep him in the catalog.

kfacres

hntwhitetail said:
wyatt said:
heat wave........ havent had one calf better than the herd bull

You must have a really really good herd bull.  Best post a pic.

I wouldn't question a statement like that... and I say that with just a few words..

How many good HW calves, are actually sired by HW, and how many bad HW calves are heard about?

OH Breeder

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Fewer than the amount of posts you've put on this site bashing the bull.

I have to agree with Jeff on this one. IN relationship to his numbers, which I am sure he has thousands of calves out there, it seems pretty high on quality and quantity.

As the post said a couple above...very good by the way...I have used bulls on some cows that it just doesn't click. I have used bulls on cows and it was spot on. Most of the time when I have had a failure I just didn't research enough and matched the wrong genetics. But I blame that on my lack of intelligence in this clubby deal .I think it is very hard to predict what a 3-4 way cross bull will do on a 3-4 way cross cow. I have had better luck with my shorty's on shorty's.

Grizzly Rose- does anyone remember him? We tried him a cow didn't stick twice who has always stuck AI and when a fella in our neighborhood started getting calves the were monster BW. He came up a PHC. I may have a couple straws taking up space.

kfacres

another lying said:
How many good HW calves, are actually sired by HW,
Jeff_Schroeder said:

So you agree with me then?  I'm betting that I've posted maybe 100 times bashing HW, and the other a zillion dink club calf bulls over the course of the last 4 or 5 years... 

So lets think, how many 'great' ones did HW sire?  and less than 100 are actually sired by him...

Guess you do agree with me...

hntwhitetail

another lying said:
hntwhitetail said:
wyatt said:

I wouldn't question a statement like that... and I say that with just a few words..

How many good HW calves, are actually sired by HW, and how many bad HW calves are heard about?

I've seen quite a few sired by him.  Do you seriously think semen would be that high, if it wasn't profitable to breed to HW?? 

kfacres

hntwhitetail said:
another lying said:
hntwhitetail said:
wyatt said:

I've seen quite a few sired by him.  Do you seriously think semen would be that high, if it wasn't profitable to breed to HW?? 

there is a sucker born every day...  Some people pay that, just to have it sitting in the tank...

JSchroeder

Okay, more, you know what I meant and everyone here knows what you are going to say as soon as Heat Wave is mentioned.

You think just about everyone who raises show steers is wrong and you know better that it's just random luck that has caused him to dominate, we get it.

OH Breeder

another lying said:
another lying said:
Jeff_Schroeder said:

So you agree with me then?  I'm betting that I've posted maybe 100 times bashing HW, and the other a zillion dink club calf bulls over the course of the last 4 or 5 years... 

So lets think, how many 'great' ones did HW sire?  and less than 100 are actually sired by him...

Mr Kabat...
Before you go any farther and this post gets ugly....is HW really work in what you have professed to try an accomplish? He is not in your bull line up nor do I ever expect him to be. NOW with that being said.. he works for some and has made folks alot of money. Isn't that what this is all about? HW has sired alot of champions and even if not in blood in name either way he has established himself in the "CLUB CALF" world as a sire to use.
What makes the difference you will never use him so why not let it go..... ???

kfacres

OH Breeder said:
another lying said:
another lying said:
Jeff_Schroeder said:

Mr Kabat...
Before you go any farther and this post gets ugly....is HW really work in what you have professed to try an accomplish? He is not in your bull line up nor do I ever expect him to be. NOW with that being said.. he works for some and has made folks alot of money. Isn't that what this is all about? HW has sired alot of champions and even if not in blood in name either way he has established himself in the "CLUB CALF" world as a sire to use.
What makes the difference you will never use him so why not let it go..... ???

I couldn't agree more... 

PS. you sound like my grade school principal-- on almost every single day.. MR> KABAT, would you like to spend today in my office-- nope-- well then you better start acting right, or today will be like yesterday...  Finally, my give a dam got busted, and I didn't mind going in his office to do nothing but sleep...  punishment nope, I thought it was more like nap time...