what is the best shothorn bull out there right now

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

I'm going to predict what these people will tell you... THE people's choice of SP..

Anything with SULL on it...  They're all bred identical so they should breed the same, regardless of looks...

There will be 5% of people on here name some other bull(s), most will be self promotion.

Will

The shorthorn breed is very diverse phenotypically so it would be hard to say what one bull is the best.  The best bull for the guy who's goal is to raise a national champion hiefer is differant than the guy in Oklahoma or Texas trying to raise a competitive show steer and both are very differant than the guy who makes his living selling bulls and feeder calves.  If you describe what goals you are trying to attain I am sure the group of breeders on here can give you some good suggestions.

chiangus

Yep, like asking someone their favorite color.  Tons of good shorties, depending on what you need.

Okotoks

So many choices!
The Glenford Gus 40N bull and his two sons Birdtail G Gus 1W and Birdtail G Gus 15U look like they are awesome producers and Paintearth Rama 53U looks to be putting some good ones on the ground (thumbsup)

OH Breeder

Will said:
The shorthorn breed is very diverse phenotypically so it would be hard to say what one bull is the best.  The best bull for the guy who's goal is to raise a national champion hiefer is differant than the guy in Oklahoma or Texas trying to raise a competitive show steer and both are very differant than the guy who makes his living selling bulls and feeder calves.  If you describe what goals you are trying to attain I am sure the group of breeders on here can give you some good suggestions.

Will hit the nail on the head. You have some very different bulls that breed very different. You go from Trump to DOuble Vision to Obivous to Canadian influence to Australian Influence to Irish Influence. Folks breeding like will said for the ring, for the pasture, and for the feedlot. I don't see anyone line of shorthorns doing it all well.

kfacres

o but you guys are missing the point...

Doesn't the showring dictate what a good animal is.. and who dominates the showring..

doesn't the breeder's sales determine, what cattle are in demand... and who's averaging the most?

Numbers speak..

and this comes from somebody who thinks that whole program is bogus and a joke.

OH Breeder

Cut the BS said:

Doesn't the showring dictate what a good animal is.. and who dominates the showring..

doesn't the breeder's sales determine, what cattle are in demand... and who's averaging the most?

Numbers speak..

Well, I guess if I was unhappy as you then I wouldn't participate and I would do my own thing or what ever makes you happy. I haven't quiet figured that out. Nothing seems to ever be right in your mind. You'll have to help me out on that one......So what is right. everyone run and buy Rob Sneed Genetics or Everyone run buy Ohlde's genetics or Everyone run and buy Sullivan's genetics? I guess it doesn't matter this is a free country and people are going to buy what they think they can make a buck on. Isn't that what this game is all about feeding and selling what YOU like? It doesn't matter to me what others are doing cuz I have them all in my herd just for fun. Its what works for us. If you had a herd that was focused on showing I guess you would care about the showring genetics. If you have a herd that needs to do several things like show, sell and freeze then you might blend some genetics to make it work.

GONEWEST

Cut the BS said:

Numbers speak..

There is only one measure of performance. Only 1 thing REALLY matters. That's the bank deposit slip. When yours gets to be 1 /100th of the program you call bogus and a joke, maybe there will be SOMEBODY here that doesn't think you are a joke. 'Til then it's on you.

kfacres

OH Breeder said:
Cut the BS said:

Numbers speak..

You'll have to help me out on that one......

I don't know what's right, if I did... I'd run for president...  

GONEWEST said:
Cut the BS said:

Numbers speak..

There is only one measure of performance. Only 1 thing REALLY matters. That's the bank deposit slip. When yours gets to be 1 /100th of the program you call bogus and a joke, maybe there will be SOMEBODY here that doesn't think you are a joke. 'Til then it's on you.

Interesting comment.. You know the funny thing about that is.. you can't take it with you when you die.. so what's it matter if you collect it all now anyways?  Personally, I like helping the little guy- and when you do that.. you can't stick it to them on price, or A- they won't buy, and B- they won't be back...  

here's one for you, since I'm no "bogus"....  in my breed @ L'ville-- there were 65 entries in the junior show-- 14 of them at our genetics listed as a parent, and 24 of the had something from us as a grandparent...  I realize that's not 95% of the show like Mr. Rich--- but on the other hand, how many other people can say that 1/3 of the show, at one of the biggest livestock exibitions, were their genetics-- and more importantely.. how many people on this board can say that about a national show???  

PDJ

Cut the BS said:
OH Breeder said:
Cut the BS said:

Numbers speak..

You'll have to help me out on that one......

I don't know what's right, if I did... I'd run for president...  

GONEWEST said:
Cut the BS said:

Numbers speak..

Interesting comment.. You know the funny thing about that is.. you can't take it with you when you die.. so what's it matter if you collect it all now anyways?  Personally, I like helping the little guy- and when you do that.. you can't stick it to them on price, or A- they won't buy, and B- they won't be back...  

here's one for you, since I'm no "bogus"....  in my breed @ L'ville-- there were 65 entries in the junior show-- 14 of them at our genetics listed as a parent, and 24 of the had something from us as a grandparent...  I realize that's not 95% of the show like Mr. Rich--- but on the other hand, how many other people can say that 1/3 of the show, at one of the biggest livestock exibitions, were their genetics-- and more importantely.. how many people on this board can say that about a national show???  
As long as this doesn't turn into a SELF PROMOTION thread. ::)

Doc

[/quote]

No you can't take it with you , but it sure helps having some to be able to pay for your casket & someone to dig your grave. Seriously,kudo's to you if you are truly helping the little guy. As for myself I still have to try to make a profit to help pay the bills. Last time I checked that wasn't really a crime or sin.
Just curious what exactly is "your breed". I thought you raised Shorthorn x dairy cross or something. I didn't realize you raised any purebreds. I geuss I've totally missed that.

irishshorthorns

Cut the BS said:
I'm going to predict what these people will tell you... THE people's choice of SP..

Anything with SULL on it...  They're all bred identical so they should breed the same, regardless of looks...

There will be 5% of people on here name some other bull(s), most will be self promotion.

There's being controversial, and controversial for the sake of being controversial. Yawn! The Paintearth Rama 53U bull is getting some very good stock, as is the Alta Cedar Perfect Storm 11U bull. Alta Cedar Samurai 46T is very easy calving and throws fancy calves. If you want a timeless classic Diamond Captain Marc  27C or Eionmor Mr Gus 80C.  You can't go wrong with these two on ANY female!

J

JTM

Let me know when this thread leads to self promoting because I would like to post something.  (angel)

I'll give an answer anyways...
Show bull: CF Solution
Calving ease and Show: Jake's Proud Jazz
Calving ease and Performance: A&T Captain Obvious
Market Performance: Don't know???

RSL Cattle Co.

Bulls I personally like right now are
-Alta Cedar Trademark 159T
-Saskvalley Ramrod
-JSF Top Hand 34R

J

JTM

RSL Cattle Co. said:
Bulls I personally like right now are
-Alta Cedar Trademark 159T
-Saskvalley Ramrod
-JSF Top Hand 34R
I do have to say, I seen Top Hand at the bull stud and he looked really good! The daughters I have seen of his are really impressive too. Not sure how he is on the birthweights and milking ability, etc. Haven't heard anything yet.

mark tenenbaum

To me-the best real world Shothorn bulls right now:arent show types-but have performance-and calving ease,and the calves grow-sorry-but you pay a price in general scale with Capt. Obvious and Proud Jazz unless they are used on big cows.Mine are very moderate allready-and although thick-and easy calving,dont win many shows-although there have been several Short Plusses brought out by Nancy Grathwohl Heeter that have stood up at Louisville and Denver-and go back a couple generations with my breeding. Arsulu Osage,Arsulu Massive,the RS bulls,a growing number of Canadian bulls,FHF Rodeos Hope (real calving ease,REAL PERFORMANCE), alot of the previous Byland Gold bulls, a a number of K-Kim bulls-although Im not sure how many are available.There are probably a many more-Im just trying a few that are listed on the semen sights-and are easily available. O0

trevorgreycattleco

You folks that think you loose performance with Captain Obvious need to call sue. Is a 650 or 700 lb ww low performance? Not in my book by a long shot. Throw in his positives as far as carcass go and he really starts to shine. He is hands down the best bang for your buck IMO in the shorthorn breed