what is the best shothorn bull out there right now

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

trevorgreycattleco said:
You folks that think you loose performance with Captain Obvious need to call sue. Is a 650 or 700 lb ww low performance? Not in my book by a long shot. Throw in his positives as far as carcass go and he really starts to shine. He is hands down the best bang for your buck IMO in the shorthorn breed
Sorry Mark but I thought the exact same thing as TGCC when I was reading your post. If you can get these cows and calves to wean at 650lbs with no creep and then when you feed them grain they shoot up to 8-900 lbs in a month or two, you are making some serious net profit on that program. I don't know for sure but I don't see why Captain Obvious couldn't sire some 1300 lb yearling steers??? Sue would probably know what they are averaging. I just know that this bull is one of my top picks because I have seen more evidence than any other bulls. Just my personal observation though.

mark tenenbaum

CO seems to be great on larger cows-mine are too moderate,same with Proud Jazz. To me the ideal son of him would be out of a fullblood maine cow-about a frame or so taller.Osage and Massive do similar things-but are larger bulls,I dont know how big they get-but the most uniform calf pictures out OF ANY bull right now are out of JSF Addicted-every one Ive seen looks allmost identicle.That would be the full sib hiefer(for referance) on JSF sale-and thw 1 bull calf and three hiefers on the Canadian sales. Hell be my Proud Jazz infusion. O0

r.n.reed

We could know as early as 10 to 15 years from now what the best Shorthorn bull out there is.

trevorgreycattleco

RN reed is absolutely right. All this talk is just opinions and speculation. If I had to bet, the next great hope will come from a place it hasnt before.

mark tenenbaum

That would mean that there are genetics somewhere we dont know about-and totally unrelated to the huge variety of cattle allready out there-The: Vaneck,Dover,-and other Montana - Idaho,Oregon,Washington "hidden Pockets: of cattle(just a couple to name a few) or the Frosty Acres genetics etc-are well known and used in certain circles and have been for years-some of the cool retro breedings of late are from 50 year old genetics. So I highly doubt with todays communications,and worldwide transfer of genetics that there is some new strain-hidden in some far away place-to save or change the breed. O0

trevorgreycattleco

I guess i should clearify. i didnt mean it would be like that. In my mind I was thinking of a bull coming from a place not really known. Like in the angus you have bulls like CA Future Direction,  Mytty In Focus,  Pine Drive Big Sky. These bulls came from basically out of nowhere and made a huge impact and helped build the angus to what it is today. Im sure there are more examples but its late and these are off the top of my head. Kinda like Trump did for the Cates.  Its coming again. Its fun to watch the breed, argue, cuss, develop and grow and still be able to talk to each other.