What's everyone favorite country song

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

kobo ranch...I respectfully disagree. Country music is always moving. Its not right or wrong it just is. At one time Johny Cash was considered (almost rock and roll)...he was way out there. Now he is old time country. Music always evolves. Lets respect and enjoy old music and consider new music. I like patsy cline,hank senior,lefty frizzel, on and on. George Strait would have been considered an outlaw 40 years ago. I like some of the following also. Slaid Cleaves doing "Lydia" and "Breakfast in hell". Anything by Billy Jo Shaver....he is 101 years old and he can rock and he can hill billy. Ray Williy Hubbard  "up against the wall" and "screw you we're from texas". Cross Canadian Ragweed....country rock band. Jerry Jeff Walker....he was re dirt in the 70's and 80's before it was cool. My favs....the cape,pickup truck song,night riders lamet,pissing in the wind,stereo chickens,I'm not strange,Charlie Dunn...possibly the greatest song in the world,....singing the dinasaur blues,Luckenback moon....,hairy ass hill billies, and my theme song I'm an alright guy.!00 years from now Jerry jeff walker will be considered old country. I always thought a modern old time song was Rosanne Cash's Tennesee flat top box song. <beer>

feeder duck

Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind- George Strait

Night at the County Fair.-Chris  Ledoux

Jeff

kobo_ranch

aj said:
kobo ranch...I respectfully disagree. Country music is always moving. Its not right or wrong it just is. At one time Johny Cash was considered (almost rock and roll)...he was way out there. Now he is old time country. Music always evolves. Lets respect and enjoy old music and consider new music. I like patsy cline,hank senior,lefty frizzel, on and on. George Strait would have been considered an outlaw 40 years ago. I like some of the following also. Slaid Cleaves doing "Lydia" and "Breakfast in hell". Anything by Billy Jo Shaver....he is 101 years old and he can rock and he can hill billy. Ray Williy Hubbard  "up against the wall" and "screw you we're from texas". Cross Canadian Ragweed....country rock band. Jerry Jeff Walker....he was re dirt in the 70's and 80's before it was cool. My favs....the cape,pickup truck song,night riders lamet,pissing in the wind,stereo chickens,I'm not strange,Charlie Dunn...possibly the greatest song in the world,....singing the dinasaur blues,Luckenback moon....,hairy ass hill billies, and my theme song I'm an alright guy.!00 years from now Jerry jeff walker will be considered old country. I always thought a modern old time song was Rosanne Cash's Tennesee flat top box song. <beer>

DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT 'NOT CONSIDERING NEW MUSIC!!??' 
DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING WAS WRONG WITH IT, JUST MOST OF IT DOESN'T COMPARE TO SOME OF MY OLD FAVS...ALOT OF THE ONES YOU MENTIONED ARE NOT MY FAVS BUT IF THATS WHAT YOU LIKE GO FOR IT!!  I REALLY ONLY LIKED ONE SONG FROM CASH AND THAT WAS THE RING OF FIRE, MY MOM HAD THAT ALBUM AND I REMEMBER DANCING AROUND THE HOUSE TO IT.  ALSO LOVED DON WILLIAMS WE HAD THAT ONE TOO!  WHAT A NICE SWEET VOICED MAN!  JUST DON'T MUCH THINK ARTISTS LIKE TAYLOR SWIFT, RASCAL FLATTS, ETC ARE COUNTRY... NOT THAT I DON'T LIKE SOME OF THERE SONGS OR CONSIDER THEM!!  (MY FAV FROM JJEFF WAS LA FREEWAY, ALTHOUGH I'VE NEVER BEEN TO CALIFORNIA-- <cowboy>

LN

CJC said:
I know that their gotta be some CCR (Cross Canadian Ragweed) fans on here. I like a lot of their songs.

I want a big red nose, I want some floppy shoes

mark tenenbaum

LN said:
Pancho and Lefty - Willie and Merle
Just Someone I Used to Know - Dolly and Porter
Cattle Call - Eddy Arnold
Ghostriders in the Sky - Johnny Cash
Streets of Bakersfield - Dwight and Buck
He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
Texas (When I Die) - Tanya Tucker

Not sure if it qualifies as a country song, but I love love love Amie by Pure Prairie League Man-I bet your a couple years older than that cow pictured Wut about Elvis? O0

ok I'll stop now

aj

I love "amie" by ppl. Great point  kobo...the gentle giant(Don Williams). la freeway...great song similar to his "let er go go" tune. " Heres to you ole skinny Dennis...the only one I think I will miss"."Say good bye to the landlords for me...sons a b!tches alway bore me".

aj

I also liked cw mcCalls mountain songs. Wolf creek pass,aurouras borialias,(sp),"when I say to put a rock under the tire I mean a ROCK. ;D

aj

Speaking of radio stations......am I the only odd duck that listens to outlaw country on sirius? I can't help but find mo jo nixon intertaining. I like Meredith Ochs when she's on there. Not sure you can catoragize the music on there. I also love classic rock station on there....Dusty Street.

stangs13

Carry on- pat green
Threadbare gypsy soul- pat green
Feelin good again- Robert earl Keen
I cross my heart-George strait
Road goes on forever and the party never ends-Robert earl keen
three days-pat green
what im for- pat green

Im a major Pat Green fan, my ipod is loaded down with a lot of George, Pat, Robert earl keen, chris ledoux. I have been listening to stuff like that since I was little, so it just stuck!! Pat Green really does it for me though.

irh

Amarillo By Morning by the man George Strait.  That fiddle is the real deal

r.n.reed

Boulder to Birmingham  Emmy Lou
      Kind Woman      Richie Furay
      One Hundred Years From Now  The Byrds

ZNT

COd said:
Chris Ledoux

Ledoux is the Man.  Now that is a tried and true REAL cowboy.

I had the opportunity to see his very last concert at the American Royal the night before he checked into the hospital in Omaha, where he eventually passed away.  He struggled to even get though the concert because he was in so much pain, but he COWBOY'D UP!.  He had to leave the stage for 30 minutes right in the middle of the concert, but then came back out, sat on a stool, and sang "Look at You Girl".  I guess he truely saved the best for last.  That was the last song he ever sang.

Cowboy

When I was sent overseas -- I heard the song from Bobby Bear called 500 miles -- it has stuck with me all these years. Of course, that PLACE was a hell of a lot farther than 500 miles from home, but it made a kid feel better.

Like the DANCE as well, good stuff for sure.

Some old Hank Snow songs were good, as well as Double Eagle instrumentals.

Done gave my age away for sure now.

Terry

drl

Pretty much anything by Garth Brooks. The Dance, The River, ...