What's the weirdest thing you've heard a judge say?

Help Support Steer Planet:

LN

I was watching an open heifer show and the judge referred to heifers with feminine necks as having "sexy necks" and would even say they had "sexy backs." I guess he was giving a shout out to Justin Timberlake???

Cattledog

I had a judge say that one of our bulls had too much spring and dimension to his rib.  He later went on to win his division at the State Fair.  Gotta love county fairs!

ROAD WARRIOR

" the calf in third is the most complete in the class and most structurally correct" - No POLITICS in the show ring :-(  RW

justme

Had a judge say our heifer had to much length thru her hooks and pins also to much width in her pins to be a show heifer.

Hello? don't they have to calve?

olsun

Not so wierd, but certainly unusual. A name very well known in club calf circles, but one that i won't expose at this time, made a comment  about a county fair class that he was judging. The comment was " there ain't a good SOB in the whole damn pile." True, it happened in the early 80's.

OH Breeder

Judge said

...I am concerned this heifer might be fragile in the way her neck comes togehter. Complete and feminine though. :p
... Steer isthe  most functinal steer and like his type and kind but I have to put him in the last hole
...Great heifer sure is fancy headed and elegant ???
... Market steer- like his cover and moves like a cat, structurallly correct the most complete steer we got in here today. Put him in second the calf ;in first was bucking over in the knees. The kid kept pushing his front legs back under him so he didn't fall over.Crowd and we were confused. :-\

showsteer09

There are some nice cattle in this final drive but the one that wins today is like bringgin a gun to a nife fight.. thats what the judge said at our county fair last year about are fat steer

CJC

ROAD WARRIOR said:
" the calf in third is the most complete in the class and most structurally correct" - No POLITICS in the show ring :-(  RW

I've heard that one before and had to scratch my head and think what a DA for making that comment. 

Dusty

olsun said:
Not so wierd, but certainly unusual. A name very well known in club calf circles, but one that i won't expose at this time, made a comment  about a county fair class that he was judging. The comment was " there ain't a good SOB in the whole damn pile." True, it happened in the early 80's.

More judges to need make this comment.  There are some county fairs in parts of the world where truly is not a decent calf there....

I've heard a judge ask a kid in final drive what his steer was out of...

I had a pig judge(Kay Christian) chew my ass telling me my hog had had too much paylean, the pig had never had paylean...

I watched a judge chew a kids ass for stopping to show as soon as the judge went to the microphone at a pig show one time

I've heard a judge say that a kids calf wasn't fitted as well as the ones above it.

I've had a pig judge tell me right before the final drive to just go get my blue butt barrow so we can get this deal over with.

I heard a steer judge say after using a hereford steer to win a class after a long time on the final three that he was trying real hard to beat the hereford steer instead of just using him..

Heard a judge at ISF when he was talking a class of market heifers comment that the first in class was "this young man's ticket to the top today"-kinda takes the suspense out of the final drive

loveRedcows

Had a nationally-ranked judge tell a friend of ours after the show that he didn't pick our bull for Grand because "... I don't know those people!"  NO POLITICS IN RED ANGUS -- OH COME ON.

LN

Maybe I should've had the subject read: Judges say the darndest things.

I always love it when they invent new words for the dictionary or create new forms of words. Ex: stout...stouten

Or the buzz words that are cool at the moment, like elegant, soft etc.

braunvieh

I had a judge tell us we (our ranch) had the thickest deepest highest performing cattle in the show, called them powerhouses. He even had the audience clap for us. This after he placed our cattle at the BOTTOM of their class with all 4 animals. What a slap in the face.....

Had a judge say our bull calf was out performed by the bull ahead of him,  but he weighed about 150 pounds lighter and was obviously smaller...what????

Heard a heifer wasn't as pretty as the one above, although had better performance and EPDs...I guess we aren't raising beef anymore, just good looks!!

simtal

Jerry McLemore judged some swine show a few years ago and he said, "Grand barrow is going to go the girl with the big _____ ! (hint, rhymes with spits)"

knabe

Dusty said:
I had a pig judge(Kay Christian) chew my ass telling me my hog had had too much paylean, the pig had never had paylean...

is that like getting ahead on your mortgage?

Endless Meadows

We had a coming 2 year old april bull at a show/sale in January that weighed 1700lbs.  In that same class was a 2000 lb march that easily took the class, another 1700 april that was very similar to mine, and a 1300 lb May.  Yes they were coming two's.  The judge easily started with the big boy and should have and I was wondering if my bull was going 2nd or 3rd.  He used the MAY because he really liked the moderate frame.  The two 1700lb aprils "really developed well and were really sound with more than adequate muscle but a little green"  I'll give him that the may bull was correct and he did follow the class winner in type, but I won't give him moderate.  That bull was just flat our TINY and had NO performance. He was carrying decent cover and only weighed 1300 lbs at 21 months.  I'm not sure what's worse, the lack of performance or the judge acctually using him.

LN

simtal said:
Jerry McLemore judged some swine show a few years ago and he said, "Grand barrow is going to go the girl with the big _____ ! (hint, rhymes with spits)"

SHUTUP! Can't believe he said that!

steermomintx

I made a mistake my champion should have been my 2nd place heavy weight and of course that was our 2nd place heavy weight.  Oh the luck!!

justintime

From the mouth of a well known American judge at Agribition last year.... " the heifer in fourth could have won this class, however, she is too structurally sound for her age".

I have been trying to figure out what he meant by this ever since.

mike

simtal said:
[/quote

No way, I would of laughed my butt off!]

kanshow

mike said:
simtal said:
[/quote

No way, I would of laughed my butt off!]

Zits??  That wasn't very nice of him making fun of her acne!!  ;D