What's the weirdest thing you've heard a judge say?

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

That's how I do it too aj, I just put the But Light kids up a little higher than the whiskey kids, it just doesn't always agree with me  (lol)

farmboy

OH Breeder said:
AGR last weekend. Consistently in the one ring the judge would say I am giving up mass for structural correctness. An til this one class just before ours. There was a calf that kind of marked like a dalmation and was really massive. Travled okay but was kind of downhill and sloppy fronted. But you could not stop looking at the calf. The judge said in his reasoning, I am going to make an exception today, that holsteined marked calf is just beautiful. You can't take your eyes off of him. He just pops out at you. Well YEAH in a class of black calves, he stuck out like a sore thumb. But in this case the color helped the calf a bunch.

Ring B, our calf was criticized for being too massive and he said, I would like to have some of his hair off. I would like to see what is under that hair. You should body clip him.

was that the steer in the shorty plus class? thought he shouldve taken that one. he was a hoss

HG Charity

Herd judge at a county fair say about the most stale and over done bucked over and way straight off hind wheels piece of crap in the ring:  "he has a deep plate and I really like his soundness"  Hello!!  Deep plate is indiicator of OVER finished!  Guy used that calf and left best most optimally finished, calf standing and reserved it with the calf that should have been reserve or grand.  Calf left standing gave up some stoutness but was by far the best on the rail.  If I had a calf at that fair I'd have drug that idiot around the ring by his collar and gave him a lesson on how to judge.

karlie

I have a couple from this years country fair.  My favorite came out of the lightweight steer class...
"this steer coming in last has a lot of fixing up to do, but its an eye game folks, that showman is three times his size and makes that steer look like a puppy"

:)

aj

Supposedly there was a pretty well known guy that did the following.He was judging a county show and he wore real thick glasses. He was reported to have bumped into a supporting ceiling post in the ring(It was a small old building of 40 years ago). He reportedly said "excuse me" and walked around the post appologizing.  This guy was a legend in my book. He tookk ccc communtity college judging teams to many national championships. Don't know if it is a urban legend(rural legend as dl says) or not? ;D

cowz

I have tried to behave since it's Christmas and all....but here goes:  You have heard me whine about my least favorite judge of all time.  There is a Saler breeder out of Minnesota that is the most like Ron Blagodovich of any judge I have ever seen.

He was judging a shorthorn show in Minnesota....no none of my kids were showing.  In the final drive, he approached the obvious choice, phenotypically superior, owned by a "nobody", walked up like he was going to slap the champion.  Instead, he makes a "pistol" out of his hand, points it at the poor young man, and says "GOTCHA", then walks over and picks the "polilitical" choice.

This wonderful judge is not on my Christmas card list.  :-*

simtal

cowz said:
I have tried to behave since it's Christmas and all....but here goes:  You have heard me whine about my least favorite judge of all time.  There is a Saler breeder out of Minnesota that is the most like Ron Blagodovich of any judge I have ever seen.

He was judging a shorthorn show in Minnesota....no none of my kids were showing.  In the final drive, he approached the obvious choice, phenotypically superior, owned by a "nobody", walked up like he was going to slap the champion.  Instead, he makes a "pistol" out of his hand, points it at the poor young man, and says "GOTCHA", then walks over and picks the "polilitical" choice.

This wonderful judge is not on my Christmas card list.   :-*

what a tool

N2ShowN

I once heard the previously mentioned Texas judge tell a lady that was harassing him about why her son had not won that it was because his steer was the first steer he had ever seen that could make a right or left turn without signaling (steer toed out severely),  I almost fell over laughing.  My other favorite judge to listen to is Terry Burks.  He comes up with some good ones.

red

we had a heifer that the judge said would roll down hills.  ???

also at a county show the judge said that our heifer wouldn't make a good cow. she went on to win at Louisville &  the judge there said she was the most maternal looking heifer in this show. She is still in the herd producing some excellent calves.

showcattlegal

The Judge at are county fair this year. Told everybody right before he picked the grand that he isn't a steer judge and didn't know what he was doing out there and it showed when he picked the grand and res. He went on about how good the 2 steers we raised where and how they were sound finshed just right and the show look. but he didn't use them at all. But used the 2 pretty girls to win the show over the boys that should have won. But at least everybody new we should have one even the girls said we don't know how we beat them.

LazyGLowlines

At the NILE in Billings a couple months ago we were in the final drive with an 8 month old heifer. the judge picked an older heifer for grand.  he liked our heifers depth, levelness and even said she was exactly what he wanted in a brood cow.  Then he said 'but I'm going with the older heifer for reserve 'cause I don't like to break up the age group'.  The person who was showing the now reserve champion heifer didn't hear him and started to leave the ring.  I had to tell her she was reserve.  Then, as I was leading my heifer out the judge told me 'nice heifer'.  GEEZ!

alwayssecond

itk said:
I've only judged a few shows but I always asked what the animals name was especially the older kids. For me it is a a good way to sort out the kids who say "I don't care to name it, it's just going to die any way." Though not scientific I have found that the kids whose animals are named are better feed, fitted, shown and are of overall better quality then steers without. I think compassion for the livestock we care for is important for anyone who is a steward over them, and for as much time as a child should spend with their animal some sort of identification shouldn't be out of the question.

I guess I didn't think of it that way. When you put it that way I understand why the judge asked the name.

N2ShowN

It's also a good way to find out how much time a kid spends with the animal sometimes.  Also very good at settling the nerves of a nervous showman.

cowz

aj, aj, aj, don't you know that we have to hold hands while we sing kumbahya? :D

itk

I have never read an article about the champion steer at Denver, Louisville, The Royal or any other major where the exhibitor said "why name him he will die anyway" they always have a name. I have also seen several unclipped, half finished steers who got pulled out of grandpas feedlot two weeks before the show so some kid would have something to sell where the he is going to die line is given. I know ranchers in Montana who see their cows four times a year who know "old tag 32" will be leading their cows in come roundup time. I have clipped calves at MCF where every calf has its moms ear tag number written on its own except for one steer who instead of a number it said "Crazy B#$%h" on the tag. I asked Greg why she didn't have a tag number and he said that was her name. Out of all the cows at MCF this cow had a name and could be picked out every trip to the pasture. If cows under these circumstances can have names a 4-Her has no excuse not to name a single animal they should have spent hours with except for a lack of caring about the project so why should judges reward them.

aj

How about this question? "Who is your fitter"? Or "who actually owns this heifer"? ;D

bcosu

aj said:
How about this question? "Who is your fitter"? Or "who actually owns this heifer"? ;D
i've seen alot of that in supposedly junior shows. its a free world though and there isn't much you can say about it.

cattlejunky

Had a judge tell my son he did not win Showmanship because he didn't smile!  My son placed third and two girls placed above him because they smiled.  He was a little ticked!

ShowmanQ

cattlejunky said:
Had a judge tell my son he did not win Showmanship because he didn't smile!  My son placed third and two girls placed above him because they smiled.  He was a little ticked!

That is my BIGGEST flaw as a showman. I get way too intense in the showring and forget that I am actually having fun. I have a fallborn Shorthorn heifer we have been hauling around and she always gives me fits in the ring. My younger brother who picks up a showstick 3 times a year ( twice to hand it to me (lol)) showed her in the county fair junior show and the smae heifer who beats on me in the ring, acted like a puppy dog for him...Call me crazy, but I strongly believe that animals can sense when we are excited, nervous, stressed, etc. and they can't help but react to it.