What's your most exciting matings coming in 2012?

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

jaimiediamond said:
aandtcattle said:
The first of my top 3 most exciting matings of 2012 has arrived.  A&T Captain Clara 040 had a 84 pound Eionmor Marquis bull calf last nite.  He is a chunky little stud and looks real promising but he is a dark, dark roan.  :mad:

He might be the Shorthorn bull that brings the roan colour into fashion with the commercial industry                  

The point is to keep the roan out of the commercial industry.. ROAN EQUALS DOCKAGE and PROFIT CUT>> PLAIN AS DAY_ SIMPLE MATH.

Okotoks

Jaimie just sold one of our bulls to a big commercial breeder who wanted a roan. He gets a premium for his roan crossbreds. Have another commercial breeder looking for a white or roan as he wants the roan colour as well.
It's really how you market, roan is good, it is distinctive and means the animal carries Shorty blood (thumbsup) Some areas may discriminate against colour but does anyone think if Angus were roan they wouldn't be at the top. They know how to market.

Attachments

• Real Colour.jpg
    Real Colour.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 220

kfacres

Okotoks said:
Jaimie just sold one of our bulls to a big commercial breeder who wanted a roan. He gets a premium for his roan crossbreds. Have another commercial breeder looking for a white or roan as he wants the roan colour as well.
It's really how you market, roan is good, it is distinctive and means the animal carries Shorty blood (thumbsup) Some areas may discriminate against colour but does anyone think if Angus were roan they wouldn't be at the top. They know how to market.

In the USA- we have this thing called CAB-- or Certified Angus Beef--- 

Also in the USA- we have this belief that Shorthorn and Longhorn cattle are inferior carcass animals- they are also the only two mainstream breeds that have the roan gene. 

Due to these two things- ROAN cattle are worth less in the market place than Holsteins. 

Take in a black steer calf- get x dollars.  take in a black heifer calf- dock 5 cents.  Take in a colored steer- same price as black heifers- take in a colored heifer- 5-10 cent dock.  take in a holstein roughly same price as colored heifer calves- maybe a 5 cent dock.  take in any other dairy breed-- drops you around 10 cents.  take in a roan- and you again lose 5-10 cents.. when the day is over.. roans are worth a quarter or more less than a black steer calf..

regardless of quality.

Okotoks

Not up yo ther challenge, sad really, an excellent product in an identifiable package and no marketing ???

DRB

Cut the BS said:
Okotoks said:

Also in the USA- we have this belief that Shorthorn and Longhorn cattle are inferior carcass animals- they are also the only two mainstream breeds that have the roan gene. 

Due to these two things- ROAN cattle are worth less in the market place than Holsteins. 

Take in a black steer calf- get x dollars.  take in a black heifer calf- dock 5 cents.  Take in a colored steer- same price as black heifers- take in a colored heifer- 5-10 cent dock.  take in a holstein roughly same price as colored heifer calves- maybe a 5 cent dock.  take in any other dairy breed-- drops you around 10 cents.  take in a roan- and you again lose 5-10 cents.. when the day is over.. roans are worth a quarter or more less than a black steer calf..

regardless of quality.

Totally forgot about the confusion with the Longhorn deal - don't have hardly any of them up here in Canada so I guess that aspect is a non-issue.

Love the roan's too, A&T perhaps you'll end up sending him up North ;)

SCowger

The Montecito calves we have on the ground so far have come easy, are depe chested, good fronted and have a lot of go at birth.  We are really pleased with the Montecito calves and look forward to hearing about more of them that I know are coming this spring.

Pleasant Grove Farms said:
Fun topic!!!!

have an embryo baby coming; momma is the dam to Joshua Ramsey's Hidden
Treasure display bull; sire of the embryo is Heatwave.....resulting baby will surely
be blue and amazing!!!!

also have several Monopoly x pb Simmis coming....those will surely all be heifers!

on the Simmi side, have babies coming from the new Steel Force sire AJE/PB MONTECITO 63W; thinking those will be showy, blaze face baldy heifers!

the possibilities of the next calf crop are what keeps us all going, isn't it????

linnettejane

linnettejane said:
my sam cow ( a gizmo x double vision) ai'd to wolf willow major leroy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  crazy huh!   ;)

mine arrived!  and valentine's day to boot!
1st pic 1 hour old not dried off yet
2nd pic 1 week old

Attachments

• 100_1465.JPG
    100_1465.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_1803.JPG
    100_1803.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 163

jaimiediamond

Okotoks said:

Off topic I know but I can't help myself!!!

Black hided breeds:  Angus, Simmental, Galloway, Limousin, Saler,  Maine Anjou, Speckle Park, Texas Long Horn, Belgian Blue, Gelbvieh, the list could continue...
Roan Hides: Shorthorn, Speckle Park, Belgian Blue, Texas Longhorn

Sometimes it takes advertisement and awareness. Breeders being proud of their product and stating " we as a breed have the following to offer, we are the following colours and our product will work for you."  Our Canadian market for Shorthorn cattle is going up we back our product, we publish data collected proving that we are commercially viable.  This has resulted in repeat commercial customers who gave it a try and were pleased.  It has also has triggered the interest of producers who never wanted to use Shorthorn genetics one gentleman is planning on AI'ing 20 head of Angus x Saler females to an Shorthorn sire.  Perhaps we need to certify Shorthorn influence ;) 

linnettejane

Cut the BS said:
That's a stouty... How's the hip/ rear leg in her now as compared to what it looks like wet and wobbly.?

its not a her, its a he

Attachments

• 100_1808.JPG
    100_1808.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 190

Okotoks

linnettejane said:
Cut the BS said:
That's a stouty... How's the hip/ rear leg in her now as compared to what it looks like wet and wobbly.?

its not a her, its a he
He's got amazing thicknes but is still long bodied (thumbsup) Looks like he is going to have lots of performance too (clapping)

leanbeef

Here's one of mine... Longs Shear Pleasure x Triple C El Poderoso Rey x GW Lucky One x Nichols Blk Destiny x Black Polled Dakota back to our favorite cow family, Burtner "Virginia" XN9 purchased as a two year old in Scotty Burtner's mature cow herd dispersal in 1990. Taken at one month...out of a three year old Reymond daughter that raised our high selling bull last year.

Attachments

• ZW9R by Shear Pleasure.jpg
    ZW9R by Shear Pleasure.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 176

firesweepranch

leanbeef said:
Here's one of mine... Longs Shear Pleasure x Triple C El Poderoso Rey x GW Lucky One x Nichols Blk Destiny x Black Polled Dakota back to our favorite cow family, Burtner "Virginia" XN9 purchased as a two year old in Scotty Burtner's mature cow herd dispersal in 1990. Taken at one month...out of a three year old Reymond daughter that raised our high selling bull last year.

Is that white on the back legs or just mud? Nice looking calf! Is he one of the first Sheer Pleasure offspring that you know of?

leanbeef

firesweepranch said:
leanbeef said:

Is that white on the back legs or just mud? Nice looking calf! Is he one of the first Sheer Pleasure offspring that you know of?

She does have a little white on her back feet...and she's a SHE! I think there were some of those last spring...so they'd be coming yearlings now. But not a whole bunch of em that I know of. My first ones came in the fall...I had five...lost one...sold two on pairs...have a bull and a heifer, both out of half blood first calf heifers. This little gal would be a purebred. And I have two or three more of em this age...a baldy bull that's pretty nice...a solid black heifer out of a really good cow. I think this one if my favorite of the Shear Pleasures we've had so far, but I may be a little biased, too...I love her mama.

wyatt

Cut the BS said:
Okotoks said:

regardless of quality.
for c.a.b. if i herd right if you walk in there with a cow that is 9?%(90-99%) black its angus

kfacres

WB ShowCattle said:
Cut the BS said:
Okotoks said:

regardless of quality.
for c.a.b. if i herd right if you walk in there with a cow that is 9?%(90-99%) black its angus

I believe the animal must be 51% black- to qualify CAB, but here are 10 quick rules for it:

Modest or higher marbling – for the taste that ensures customer satisfaction
Medium or fine marbling texture – the white "flecks of flavor" in the beef that ensure consistent flavor and juiciness in every bite
Only the youngest classification of product qualifies as "A" maturity – for superior color, texture and tenderness

The next three specifications ensure a uniform, consistent steak size:

10- to 16-square-inch ribeye area
Less than 1,000-pound hot carcass weight
Less than 1-inch fat thickness

And finally, four specifications further ensure the quality appearance and tenderness of the brand:

Superior muscling (restricts influence of dairy cattle)
Practically free of capillary ruptures (ensures the most visually appealing steak)
No dark cutters (ensures the most visually appealing steak)
No neck hump exceeding 2 inches (safeguards against cattle with more variability in tenderness)

aandtcattle

The other 2 of my top 3 anticipated matings have arrived!  A&T Obvious Marquis 028 had a bull calf by Rawhide (her maternal brother.  Slight pull to get him out but not bad at all for the calf weighing 91 pounds.  Hes a dark roan and very stout, I like him a lot!  DRC 244, dam of Captain Obvious calved to GS&J Captain Rob 3X.  Solid red and polled x 2!  Thats right, a stinkin set of twins and of course, a bull and a heifer.  Ever feel like you you just got screwed by mother nature??

Limiman12

I have never understood why Angus is believed to be the best carcass breed.  There are others that yield higher and cut better.  Large herd, lots of marketing dollars methinks......

As for breeding, last summer we bought VL Stocktrader.  Purebred limi bull that had a very successful show career himself and his owner could not justify keeping him around any longer but he was such a pet she made us a heck of a deal to give him a good home and some work for the next couple years as long as we can keep him.    Very much looking forward to several calves out of him, but especially out of the commercial limi black heifer named Bella my four year old daughter talked my dad out of two years ago.    Paige is watching YouTube to learn how to pull calves just in case she needs to help:)