A couple of new females I am thinking about purchasing (For Blue Roan Breeding)

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorthorn_Junkie

Was going to wait another day or two to post these pictures, however I decided to go ahead and do it tonight instead. 

I've always been a fan of the Blue Roans, and I am currently getting ready to purchase a couple of Angus Influenced females to breed to a Shorthorn Bull. 

Would be curious to hear your all's thoughts on these two females, along with some ideas of what bulls would work the best on both of them. 

The first 4 pictures is a cow named "Socks".  She  is a six year old female and she is 3/4 Simmental and 1/4 Angus.

Attachments

• DSC00641.jpg
    DSC00641.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 868
  • DSC00631.jpg
    DSC00631.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 1,040
  • DSC00630.jpg
    DSC00630.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 857
  • DSC00628.jpg
    DSC00628.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 848

Shorthorn_Junkie

I'm not for sure what the exact breeding is on this next cow, however the owner told me that he thinks she is a purebred Angus.

This black female and the cow pictured above named, "Socks" both come from a commercial herd. 

Attachments

• DSC00616.jpg
    DSC00616.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 839
  • DSC00624.jpg
    DSC00624.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 841

Shorthorn_Junkie

worthabit said:
both look like good honest cows, I like the black one better because she looks like she is a little more refined in her makeup.

I have to agree with you on the black cow.  She is thicker and more solid looking that's for sure. 

Although the cow, "Socks" is not as well refined as the solid black cow is, her spring of rib is what I liked about her the most. 

Bawndoh

Which cow are you saying has "spring of rib".  The cow called Socks has very poor spring of rib and rib definition IMHO.  She is also very tight in the heart.  Go with the full Angus.

JoeBnTN

I'm like you - I love the blue roans.  In fact, I told Nick Hammett once that the ASA should go after that market before the Durham Red project started.  Lots of old cattlemen remember just how good their blue roan cows were.  That's a genetic goldmine for commercial producers, but everyone was afraid of the color. 

You do realize that with her genetic base, it's highly unlikely you'll get a blue roan out of the Socks cow.  With her Simmy background you could get almost anything in terms of color pattern.  IF the black cow (which I really like) it truly an Angus then you'll have a high probability of getting a blue one. 

As for bulls - I'd suggest TM GUS.  I've always liked him and he's bred to produce some pretty good females. 

C-CROSS

I have several blue cows and calves and they all have simmi influence with the horn.

CPL

Honestly, These cows roughly meet my criteria for commerical cows. Let alone purebred/show stock production. I think there are definitely better cows out there and all though your initial investment will be higher you still need to relaize wether you AI or not, 50% of the genetics of these cows will be in your future calves.

garybob

I like the spotted cow better. She is more feminine & broody.

Nice cows. My Dad would like 'em, too.

GB

oakbar

The only concern I would have about Sin City is that he seems to produce more frame than a lot of other bulls.  Unless you're breeding him to smaller or moderate  framed cows that are extremely thick you could end up with some tall, slender calves.  He doesn't seem to have the success across different types of females that his brother Vegas had IMHO.  Maybe others have had different results with him>

simtal

I've seen only a couple blue roans in my life that I liked:

Heifer that sullivan had two years ago.

Steer that lautner show a few years back that won KC.

Manchild bull at denver '06
JoeBnTN said:
I'm like you - I love the blue roans.  In fact, I told Nick Hammett once that the ASA should go after that market before the Durham Red project started.  Lots of old cattlemen remember just how good their blue roan cows were.  That's a genetic goldmine for commercial producers, but everyone was afraid of the color. 

They died out because they aren't any good, not because of the color deal.

Doc

simtal said:

I'm know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm sure going to have to disagree with you on that statement. Like JoeB said, everybody around here that's had cows for any length of time will tell you how good those blue roans are. I would put that blue roan hfr that Aldens' showed & then finally sold last year(Blue Baby) up against anything. The original blue roan recipe  was the Shorthorn x Angus cross, & I think it's durn tuff to to beat it. JMO

maine106

I agree completely with Doc.  Blue roans have not died out it is just that they are not as plentiful.  One of my best cows was a blue roan.  Easiest keeping, tiny udder that must have had cream in it.  I never got the great one out of her because she was tossed into a feed bunk by a bigger cow, aspirated, and did not make it. 

I have a friend that used Rainmaker and still has his fingers crossed!  He said he's not uncrossing them until he sees that blue roan baby next spring!

Shorthorn_Junkie

JoeBnTN said:

You do realize that with her genetic base, it's highly unlikely you'll get a blue roan out of the Socks cow.  With her Simmy background you could get almost anything in terms of color pattern.  IF the black cow (which I really like) it truly an Angus then you'll have a high probability of getting a blue one. 

As for bulls - I'd suggest TM GUS.  I've always liked him and he's bred to produce some pretty good females. 

I have to agree with you Joe.

I also felt like the ASA should've went after the Blue Roan market before they went after the Durham Reds. 

JoeBnTN

[/quote]

[/quote]

Considering the genetic base you describe I can understand why you might have that perception, but the blue roans I'm talking about are true Angus X Shorthorn crosses.  Those kind of cattle have always thrived in lush grass country, but when the "black baldy" craze came along everyone liked them because they were more consistent in color.  But if you question the value of the 'horn X Angus cows - go look at some of the crossbreeding data that's available - those genetics rarely get beat as mother cows.

Status
Not open for further replies.