A couple of new females I am thinking about purchasing (For Blue Roan Breeding)

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGTEX

Hey The Truth, why don' you post on "Cow Planet" if your so down on show animals. After all the site is called Steer Planet. Not "I bitch about not winning and I am pissed for having inferior cattle !" You can have a great show steer w/o it being a post legged hair ball. What a screen name "The Truth". See you on cow Planet!

justintime

I agree with Doc on this as well. At least that is how it is in my country. Blue roans are very popular and they are easy to sell. I have a group of purebred Angus cows and some Maine/Angus cows that were purchased to be recips. My idea was to implant embryos in them and then put a white Shorthorn bull with them for clean up. This has worked very well, however, i am finding that the blue roan colour is a little harder to breed than I expected. The white bull was used here for 3 years and then sold, and I followed him with a red neck roan TH and PHA free son of XRay Vision.  Most of the calves from these two sired on the black cows come out virtually black  with white underlines. Some have a few white hairs  throughout their bodies but you have to look closely to see them. There have been some true blue roans, but not as many as I had expected to get.

In an attempt to get some "bluer" roans, I bred 6 virtually black heifers to another white bull last year. This spring we got 5 pure white calves and 1 red neck roan. These calves are only two generations from purebred Angus cows and they would pass for purebred Shorthorns by their colors. I have attached a picture of one of them.

Two years ago, we had an internet calf sale and we added 5 blue roan heifers. They sold like hotcakes !

Attachments

• DSC01184.JPG
    DSC01184.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 391

JoeBnTN

Just a reminder that to get a predictable blue roan the genetics have to be for a pure white Shorthorn (rr) and a pure Angus (BB).  If you look VERY closely at most white Shorthorns, they are not pure white - there's enough red hair that their  genetics would be presented as white roans (Rr).  Additionally if the other half of the equations (Angus) is not pure then it's almost impossible to predict.  Why?  Because, even if the animal is black it still has the potential to have a recessive gene for another color based on their full genetic background.  If you get a solid red calf out of a "white" Shorthorn bred to an Angus, it is almost certain that the Shorthorn had a red gene AND the Angus either had a recessive red gene or was not a "pure" Angus.

justintime

I agree fully Joe. I intentionally select white animals with some red pigment ( red in their ears and red spots on their muzzles) as I find these will not transmit white heifer disease ( ie: infertile white heifers). i am probably selecting for white roans in doing this.

justintime

I forgot to mention that the heifer I pictured is out of a solid black female with only one small spot of white on her underline. This heifer is two generations from a purebred Angus female.

garybob

BIGTEX said:
Hey The Truth, why don' you post on "Cow Planet" if your so down on show animals. After all the site is called Steer Planet. Not "I bitch about not winning and I am pissed for having inferior cattle !" You can have a great show steer w/o it being a post legged hair ball. What a screen name "The Truth". See you on cow Planet!
Ain't a steer on this planet that didn't come from a brood cow.

;)GB

Rustynail

Apparently you do not have the mental capacity to understand what a good quality animal is. 

Do you know what else shows a low mental capacity?  Here is a small list.

1.   Going to a website dedicated to show cattle and telling everyone how much you hate show cattle.   People here manage their cattle they way they choose.  Nobody cares if you don't like it.  It would be like me going to the American Onion Grower website and complain about the taste of onion.  Then expecting them to quit growing them because of  my complaints.

2.  Attacking the ethics of a group of people on an internet site, who go out of their way to be helpful, give advice, share what their doing, help young people who are just starting out showing, and care for each other on and off the computer.

3.  Going on self rightous rants, using vulgar language, and then justifying by acting like you trying to save  a breed.  You aren't impressing anyone.   You are just voicing you opion (which we all know,  You don't care about the ring,  show cattle suck,  bla bla bla on and on)  louder and more obnoxious every post you make.  Go find a site or start one.  Here are some names you could use   Ihateshowcattle.com ,   Iwilltellyoutherightwaytoraisecattle.com,    mycattlearebetterthanshowcattle.com,   goodcattlewontgoinashowring.com,  or howtorantlikeaselfrightoushillbilly.com

Seriously you need to lighten and relax.  A lot of cattle who have success in the ring have success in commercial operations.  Good cattle are good cattle.  Also good people are good people.   Most people on here have helped me with opinions, advice and information.  They are good people.  Maybe you should start treating them with the respect they have earned.   Heck they have even put up with your crap for a few months,  the must be saints.

And I need to learn to spell check, i know.

justintime

Rustynail... do you have a website address for the American Onion Growers? I have tried several different spellings and the only one that I got any suggested websites was when I Googled " onion heads" it took me to Polled Hereford websites. Any help would be appreciated.

Rustynail

I am sorry shorthorn junkie I did not mean to make you topic go bad.  I have just had enough of this person.  If you still care I like the black cow.

JoeBnTN

justintime said:
You would think I would learn!!!!!! let's try this again!

JiT,

BTW, I really like the heifer calf!  What's she sired by?

chambero

Notice a common thread here in everyone's likes and dislikes - about anything works well on an Angus cow. 

A blue roan heifer won the Chi breed at the Belt Buckle in Texas this summer.

That being said, I don't really like blue roans - but its just a color thing with me. 

Post-legged steers or heifers that can't walk don't win in Texas, at least not very often.

Your average calf out of a "steer" operation is a lot more likely to be accepted by the best feedlots than your average "commercial" calf. 

I've not been around a lot of shorthorn cattle.  The few commercial ranches that have tried them in my part of the world don't like them because they aren't "tough" enough.  The cattle they had came from purebred outfits, not steer genetics.  I know it may not be right, but that's the perception.  And it doesn't come from anything to do with a showring.

justintime

joe..... I think I have posted the sire and grandsire of the heifer I pictured above on here a few times before. She is sired by HC Visionary 022R who is an XRay Vision son X a Canadian beef Shorthorn dam.
The dam of the this heifer is sired by HC Street Legal 90N - who is an ET son of Double Vision X HC Secret Maid 18F. As I mentioned the dam is a half blood Shorthorn X Purebred Angus cross.

Here are pics of the sire and grandsire of this heifer

Attachments

• HC Visionary 022R.jpg
    HC Visionary 022R.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 359
  • HC Street Legal - 12-05.jpg
    HC Street Legal - 12-05.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 342

justintime

Street Legal is a TH carrier. I loved this bull as he was moderate framed, and had incredible thickness and mass. We had 2 calf crops on the ground when we found out he was a carrier so we tested all the offspring and only kept the clean daughters in the herd. Since Visionary was coming along, we decided to "bite the bullet" so to speak and sell Street Legal. This really hurt as his calves were thick, easy fleshing and some of the quietest calves we have ever produced.

Street Legal resulted from a flush of our Secret Maid 18F donor and Double Vision. This is one of the flushes I spoke of in an earlier posting. I had sold this flush to a breeder in Maryland and he wanted to use Double Vision in this flush. There was no Double Vision semen cleared for Canada, so what I did was had the semen shipped to a friend who lives 2 miles from the border, in N. Dakota. I took the cow across on a show permit, bred her and then brought her  back home and flushed her a week later. Street Legal resulted from an unfreezable embryo. I also had a very good white heifer from another unfreezable embryo but I lost her on pasture. She was probably more impressive as a calf than Street Legal was. If anyone is interested in " Taking a chance" on this mating, there still are 12 or `13 embryos from this flush stored in Virginia, I think.

justintime

Street Legal is a TH carrier. I loved this bull as he was moderate framed, and had incredible thickness and mass. We had 2 calf crops on the ground when we found out he was a carrier so we tested all the offspring and only kept the clean daughters in the herd. Since Visionary was coming along, we decided to "bite the bullet" so to speak and sell Street Legal. This really hurt as his calves were thick, easy fleshing and some of the quietest calves we have ever produced.

Street Legal resulted from a flush of our Secret Maid 18F donor and Double Vision. This is one of the flushes I spoke of in an earlier posting. I had sold this flush to a breeder in Maryland and he wanted to use Double Vision in this flush. There was no Double Vision semen cleared for Canada, so what I did was had the semen shipped to a friend who lives 2 miles from the border, in N. Dakota. I took the cow across on a show permit, bred her and then brought her  back home and flushed her a week later. Street Legal resulted from an unfreezable embryo. I also had a very good white heifer from another unfreezable embryo but I lost her on pasture. She was probably more impressive as a calf than Street Legal was. If anyone is interested in " Taking a chance" on this mating, there still are 12 or `13 embryos from this flush stored in Virginia, I think.

Shorthorn_Junkie

Rustynail said:
I am sorry shorthorn junkie I did not mean to make you topic go bad.  I have just had enough of this person.  If you still care I like the black cow.

Rustynail,

I don't blame you for my topic going bad, so no worries here.  You're fine.  ;D 

Thanks, the black cow is the one I ended up purchasing. 

SJ

Shorthorn_Junkie

justintime said:
I agree fully Joe. I intentionally select white animals with some red pigment ( red in their ears and red spots on their muzzles) as I find these will not transmit white heifer disease ( ie: infertile white heifers). i am probably selecting for white roans in doing this.

How common is White Heifer disease?

I had a friend who had a white shorthorn heifer that would not breed a few years back. 

Status
Not open for further replies.