Any deer hunters on SP??

Help Support Steer Planet:

RLS

My son and I had to track until late but the effort paid off.

Attachments

• deer09 003.jpg
    deer09 003.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 190

ROAD WARRIOR

I always find it interesting the differences from region to region as far as what is considered a trophy deer. I know in some areas a 120 inch deer is a decent buck, other areas 160 inch buck is a good one. Here we take the 120's out of the gene pool so they won't reproduce, the 160's we take for granted and if you're going to be competative in the local big buck contest you had better have one at 200 inches or better. There are several deer hunting shows that film in our area and if you pick the right weekend you can eat lunch with Tiffany while she is up here filming a hunt. The down side of this is that outside hunters will spend 2 - 3,000 an acre on sub par pasture with brush on it so they can try and hunt a monster a coouple of weekends out of the year. RW

shortdawg

if you pick the right weekend you can eat lunch with Tiffany while she is up here filming a hunt.

I'm going to your place for sure !!!!!!!!! :eek:

Show Steaks

had a great weekend of cattle and coon hunting and seen the bucks seen 4 bucks in 160 range, 1 that was about 180 inch 12 point typical... a i dont know how many point non typical that puts the monster typical to absolute shame he's a monster... also seen 2 140 inch 8 points might be twins they looked like clones standing next to each other...... also seen a yearling amybe 2 year old with a perfect 8 point frame ina  minature form he has alot of potential

husker1

combining corn here in Nebraska sunday.....saw a nice one....he jumped up 10 feet away from me.  Didn't get to see the points, but he was brushing the corn rows running away....(30 inch rows)....He grunted and snorted....pretty cool.

inthebarnagain

Daughter and I walked out the back door this weekend to go over to the barn and feed.  Less than 50 feet from our vehicle were 6 deer, 2 huge bucks and the rest does.  Was too dark to get a picture and gun season isn't in until weekend.  Went out and sat in the car to see if they would come out last night.  Sure enough, they are bedding in our clover field that is right behind our house.  Wonder if it is still illegal to shoot out of the vehicle if it is parked on your own property???????

FutureBreeder2013

if i remember right in iowa you accually have to be 200 yrds for a building to shoot an animal unless ita vermin

its illegal to shot from cars unless you got a physical condition also

JWW

in the state of nebraska, the law about shooting from vehicles is a loop hole, the vehicle can not be in drive or running and cannot be on the road. so if you are sitting in your vehicle on your own property off the governemnt owned road and the vehicle is not in gear or running its fine. another thing to remember is that loaded shotguns are not allowed in vehicles.

i look forward to rifle season this weekend! forget the vet books and shoot some deer!!

- JWW

jason

Be careful, a hunter (i am using that term loosely), was coyote hunting from his truck on a public road and shot into a private field.  He claims he was shooting at a coyote, but he was shooting at geese decoys right where 3 young teens (around 16 years old) where laying on the ground in a blind and he fatally shot one of them by the name of Beau Arndt.

Very, very tragic story.  He ended up getting manslaughter and I believe got 3 years.  I don't consider it a hunting accident, it was gross negligence on his part and he should spend a lot more time behind bars.

chambero

My oldest son is shooting now - killed his first doe last year.  When I take him we bring one gun just for safety purposes.

I pretty much will hunt anything.  We've got lots of whitetails and quail on our land.

I generally go west hunting something every year - mulies or elk.  Last year went pheasant hunting up in Nebraska (not too far from Cowboy) and are planning to go back there again around Christmas.

feeder duck

This is my first year and  this 8 point is on my list

Attachments

• 8piont.jpg
    8piont.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 202

Davis Shorthorns

Jason said:
Be careful, a hunter (i am using that term loosely), was coyote hunting from his truck on a public road and shot into a private field.  He claims he was shooting at a coyote, but he was shooting at geese decoys right where 3 young teens (around 16 years old) where laying on the ground in a blind and he fatally shot one of them by the name of Beau Arndt.

Very, very tragic story.  He ended up getting manslaughter and I believe got 3 years.  I don't consider it a hunting accident, it was gross negligence on his part and he should spend a lot more time behind bars.

I remember hearing about that, and now I think about it any time that I am in a lay out blind in a field hunting geese.  What ever happened to the guy that killed him?

RSC

Below is a Buck my nephew shot this morning!  He shot him at my Dads!  

Tony

Attachments

• Kurts Trophy.jpg
    Kurts Trophy.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 349

oakbar

Nice buck, Kurt!!  Good Job!!

I spent 15 minutes sitting in one of my favorite "wildlife spots" last night when I went out to check the cows. (In fact, the spot is just over the knoll behind Myrtle Bo in my avatar and just this side of the pond)  I'd only been sitting there for a few minutes when I heard footsteps in the dry leaves over my right shoulder.  I looked that way but I couldn't see anything--I could still hear movement though.  It sounded like whatever it was was moving at a steady pace and purposefully going somewhere.  A couple of minutes later a nice 10 point buck walked into view and came towards me from about 40 yards away.  He continued moving closer until he was within 30 feet and  between me and the pond.  He then stopped and looked directly at me, moving his head up and down and side to side trying to figure out just exactly what was out of place.  I must have passed the test because he calmly started walking on his original path until he reached the  pasture fence, calmly jumped over, and continued on in the direction of a "scrape" I noticed a couple of nights ago.  What a great moment--I only hope he keeps travelling that same path until the season opens in 3 weeks.  He's not a huge buck but certainly well above those I normally see and he would make a nice addition to west wall of my office.  Even if don't hang him on my wall, his  relaxed manner, purposeful movement,  and overall wildness right in the middle of our property will be an indelible memory for a long time. 

oakbar

I saw the old boy again today!    I went out at halftime of the Iowa game to see if I could get a picture of him.  The wind was out of a different direction this afternoon so I went to another stand a 100 yards or so from where I saw him last night to keep the breeze in my face.  Unfortunately, he was bedded down within 20 yards of the stand.  He saw me when I was still 150 yards away, jumped up, and trotted away before I could even get there.  The good thing was that he didn't seem overly concerned and just quietly moved away.  I stayed in the stand for an hour or so and I had 3 does come by but the old boy didn't come back while I was there. 

I'll probably give him a few days off so I don't chase him out of the area but its good to know he still likes it here.