Any Sneed sale results

Help Support Steer Planet:

sue

Lots 10,23 and 27 were out.
Lots 56,64 and 86 were out- open
Lots 98 and 99 were out. - open

A nice group of RS opens are headed to Ontario, Lot 80 is going to IA - sweet sweet mama. 81 will go to NC . 5 pairs in MO - older established SH breeder, Two steerplaneteers  purchases. I know we had a major on line bid issues, very frustrating.

kfacres

OH Breeder said:
the truth said:
OH Breeder said:
the truth said:
aj said:
I admire them taking the cattle to the commercial people. It takes guts to sell cattle out there in front of the world. It is not going to be easy to break into the market share. If these cattle get out there and do there job people will be back to get more. Its easy to sit back and sneer and analyze poke the deal but I think its where we have to go as a breed. Get the cattle out in front of people. Damn right I'd take a check for 161,000$. When are you having your production sale the truth?

Just because the check is for $161,000 doesn't mean its profit... The check could be for a million dollars, but if it doesn't cover the expenses.. I'll tear it in half every day of my life..

I'll have my production sale when the livestock industry does several things...
1- people throw real money around
2- purebreds are worth more than market/ sale barn stuff
3- the show people get their heads unstuck
4- farming in general turns a profit
5- i have the funds to spend thousands on promo, catalogs, sale management, etc.. and can pay those things off..
6- I feel like sharing my genetics.  I'd rather kill em all than share them.

and the one that might make the most sense.. this pitiful world we live in turns around, economy wise.

I am not sure where you are selling stuff but a choice cow here only brings 80 cents lb if your lucky most averaging 60 cents. Bulls near the same sometimes little higher at 90 cents. Feeder calves at a high 1.21 lb I doubt any those young calves were over 1000#'s. I guess have your sale post the results and then be a critic. You just sound bitter. If you don't like the cattle business get out now it can get alot worse if those are your major concerns. Believe me after 30 years in it I have seen it. :-\
The sales prices I thought were pretty good. I will take his paycheck any day.

I pounded out a shorthorn bull, who was thin, a few months ago, and got more than 1500

peachy said:
truth- Where do the show people have their head stuck at? I think the Shorthorns today are the best they have ever been!!!!!!
I'm sure you do. (angel)

Again MISS MY POINT. For such a young man why are you so angry? The world is not black and white there is allot of gray in it. I read your post sometimes and just shake my head. How can someone so young have such a skewed view. Seriously.
How old was your bull? How much did he weigh? How long did you feed him? What did you have in his mother or did you buy him? Those are all the things you have to consider in that $1500. If you had him a couple years or more you lost money. If you raised him and sold him as a yearling then good for you- most of the bulls were $1600 and above in the sale as yearlings.  I would bet as intensely linebred as Sneeds cattle were and predictable performance the inputs were lot less than most folks.
Why did you not address what the sale did for the commercial aspect?
bad attitude, yup if I don't say so myself?  to many years on a college judging team, traveling the country seeing what goes on, and how thick the wool is over people's eyes.
  Our bull was a 3 yo that we purchased as a 2 yo that quit breeding cows.  never intended to turn a profit on him.

what does sneed's intensely linebred program have to do with low inputs-- other than his program is geared that way.  but what I'm saying is, even if his program wasn't linebred, but still geared to be low input- things would be the same.

What did the sale do for the commercial aspect?  I'm sure it did a great deal of things.. but what I don't understand is, if you people are so high on getting the commercial people to buy Sneeds stuff- then why are you all on here saying it's where the shorthorn breed needs to go, and not in  his sale buying?  I'll admit, I agree this is where the business needs to be headed...  but I was not at the sale... I do not have the funds at this point in my life to be buying cattle up... I know that if I had the money, and had the space.. I would have came home with a trailor load of em, especially at those prices.  To me, I've been around a linebreeding program such as the one that Sneed uses.. and genetically- there is no difference between the 3600 high selling heifer (just a #), and the 1200 low selling cow.  Physically, there isn't enough difference to justify spending the extra money on something.  IMO, you just open up the catalog, eyes closed, point, and circle.. That's the one that will do the best...  THis is what I love most about a linebred program.. THEY ARE ALL GOOD.  This is taking nothing away from his program, but a compliment 1000%.

To the prices...  On last Friday, we held our annual bull test sale at school.. Sold almost 60 bulls with performance based testing information..  20 of them brought more than 3k, 5 or 6 of them brought more than 4k.  40 of them brought more than 2k.  Every bull sold.. Low selling was a smerf (Herf) for like 1400.  I would guess maybe 5 of these bulls will go to a purebred operation- if that??? 

Also keep in mind that this is on the east side of the Mississippi River.  If we would be on the west side, bull average prices would jump 1k. 

Okotoks

the truth said:
OH Breeder said:
the truth said:
OH Breeder said:
the truth said:
aj said:
I admire them taking the cattle to the commercial people. It takes guts to sell cattle out there in front of the world. It is not going to be easy to break into the market share. If these cattle get out there and do there job people will be back to get more. Its easy to sit back and sneer and analyze poke the deal but I think its where we have to go as a breed. Get the cattle out in front of people. Damn right I'd take a check for 161,000$. When are you having your production sale the truth?

Just because the check is for $161,000 doesn't mean its profit... The check could be for a million dollars, but if it doesn't cover the expenses.. I'll tear it in half every day of my life..

5- i have the funds to spend thousands on promo, catalogs, sale management, etc.. and can pay those things off..

and the one that might make the most sense.. this pitiful world we live in turns around, economy wise.

I am not sure where you are selling stuff but a choice cow here only brings 80 cents lb if your lucky most averaging 60 cents. Bulls near the same sometimes little higher at 90 cents. Feeder calves at a high 1.21 lb I doubt any those young calves were over 1000#'s. I guess have your sale post the results and then be a critic. You just sound bitter. If you don't like the cattle business get out now it can get alot worse if those are your major concerns. Believe me after 30 years in it I have seen it. :-\

I pounded out a shorthorn bull, who was thin, a few months ago, and got more than 1500

peachy said:
truth- Where do the show people have their head stuck at? I think the Shorthorns today are the best they have ever been!!!!!!
I'm sure you do. (angel)

Again MISS MY POINT. For such a young man why are you so angry? The world is not black and white there is allot of gray in it. I read your post sometimes and just shake my head. How can someone so young have such a skewed view. Seriously.
How old was your bull? How much did he weigh? How long did you feed him? What did you have in his mother or did you buy him? Those are all the things you have to consider in that $1500. If you had him a couple years or more you lost money. If you raised him and sold him as a yearling then good for you- most of the bulls were $1600 and above in the sale as yearlings.  I would bet as intensely linebred as Sneeds cattle were and predictable performance the inputs were lot less than most folks.
bad attitude, yup if I don't say so myself?  to many years on a college judging team, traveling the country seeing what goes on, and how thick the wool is over people's eyes.

Traveling the country on a college judging team does not make a cattle producer.Seems now that I think about it I was a lot smarter when I was 23. ;)

Okotoks

the truth said:
OH Breeder said:
the truth said:
OH Breeder said:
the truth said:
aj said:

peachy said:
I'm sure you do. (angel)

To me, I've been around a linebreeding program such as the one that Sneed uses.. and genetically- there is no difference between the 3600 high selling heifer (just a #), and the 1200 low selling cow.  Physically, there isn't enough difference to justify spending the extra money on something.  IMO, you just open up the catalog, eyes closed, point, and circle.. That's the one that will do the best...  THis is what I love most about a linebred program.. THEY ARE ALL GOOD.  This is taking nothing away from his program, but a compliment 1000%.
As far as I'm concerned that is so far from "The Truth" it's just plain wrong. Do you actually think Sneed's do a gate run on their bull calves to select the next herd bull and the first one out is the one they pick? You should do a little reading of history and see where blind selection on linebred pedigrees gets one. I'm all for linebreeding but the key to success is selection.

kfacres

[/quote]
Traveling the country on a college judging team does not make a cattle producer.Seems now that I think about it I was a lot smarter when I was 23. ;)
[/quote]
never said it did...  just said it pisses me off..

trevorgreycattleco

My whole family has been sick or still is sick so I couldnt go to the sale. Im still pissed about it but what can you do.

I dont get it and i guess I never will. When I read what they sold for i honestly wanted to vomit. Two reasons, first this tells me the shorthorn breed is not changing nor does it care to. Second, the same breeding at another sale brings over 11,000. Really folks?  I dont know of another place who would sell in that volume where you could go get awesome cattle for that price. Whoever bought at that sale, good for you and your cattle operations direction.  

cowdoc1973

Sue,

Lots 40 and 57 walked off the truck at 1 AM this morning. Have not seen them in the day light yet, but they looked good in the spotlight last night, especially after their daylong tour. Well conditioned and calm temperment, just like I wanted. Thank you for the phone conversations, help with selection and finding a great hauler. Hope they like the way the grass tastes in southern Indiana.

OH Breeder

the truth said:
[/quote]
never said it did...  just said it pisses me off..
[/quote]

I will tell you with an angry attitude you will have a long long road a head of you. Nothing to be proud of at all. Instead of getting angry why not get motivated? At 23 you have no reason to be angry with the world believe me there are a WHOLE lot worse things to get angered about other than breeding practices in the cattle industry. Get angry about things you can change and that DIRECTLY affect you.

Low inputs-reduce cost-predictable performance. Seriously? You don't understand that? The line bred cattle were hand selected and his input cost are much less than the average as he knows what he can do with specific bloodlines of cattle. He knows who gains and performs by combining specific bloodlines. Improved performance wiith a lower cost. Why would'nt anyone want that? Clearly stated in the sale most of the cattle were grass condition. I would bet his cost compared to others was much less.

It doesn't really matter what I say either way. You won't change your way of thinking at your age. It will take some TIME for that to happen.

Okotoks

trevorgreycattleco said:
My whole family has been sick or still is sick so I couldnt go to the sale. Im still pissed about it but what can you do.

I dont get it and i guess I never will. When I read what they sold for i honestly wanted to vomit. Two reasons, first this tells me the shorthorn breed is not changing nor does it care to. Second, the same breeding at another sale brings over 11,000. Really folks?  I dont know of another place who would sell in that volume where you could go get awesome cattle for that price. Whoever bought at that sale, good for you and your cattle operations direction.  
I wouldn't get too down about it, there are so many factors that go into a production sale,especially the first one. When we held our first "All That Glitters" Sale I entusiastically put 80 head in. I remember Mike Dugdale saying it looked like I was holding my very own "Heifer Calf Futurity". Some pretty good calves went for some pretty good bargains. In the end the buyers were happy, animals like Diamond First Elsie 1F dam of Newbeginnings Elsie Jade and Diamond Secret Delight that did well at Muridale were pretty good buys that day!
When the Red Angus were hardly heard of in Alberta a group of breeders formed the Red Angus Promtional Society and through well paced ads and marketing developed a huge market for their cattle. Their focus was getting bulls out to the commercial producer. The commercial buyers of those Sneed bulls will probably be back.

cattlefarmer

[/quote]

AJ, you would argue with a fence post.
[/quote]

Hey The Truth, I think you have that slightly backwards you're the one who would argue with a post!  Hell if somebody came in soaking wet from a rain storm and said it was raining you would say it wasn't!!!
I have never met you and don't care if I ever do!!!  Your attitude absolutely sucks!!!!!!!!  I don't care for a lot of what goes on in the shorthorn breed either but I found a real simple way of dealing with it I do business with those who think like I do!!!!  I am working on my own trail with help and advice from those I seek out that are headed in the same general direction as me!  Try it once you would be amazed at what you can find!

trevorgreycattleco

ok, first of all try and remember yourself at 23. Me, I was chasing women, dropping LSD, snorting coke, smokin dope, binge drinking, eating mushrooms, eating ecstasy, whatever. At least the truth is in agriculture helping to feed the rest of the idiots. Is he angry? Yes. I have talked to him a few times. He has a pretty cool linebreeding sheep deal going on. Should he chill out? Yes. But at 23 , I wanted to prove myself so bad I would say anything. My old man always told me I had no filter between my brain and my mouth. I have learned over the years to calm down and enjoy life. He will do the same hopefully. That is the beauty of the planet, we all can say our opinions. Just take it for what its worth.

Anywho, Im still disgusted with the sale. Angus breeders would give their left testicle to get Larry Leonhardt to register his cattle. We have the same thing basically at our disposal in the shorthorn breed and this is how it goes. SAD. I dont know who bought the Sneed bull at Sull's but IMO they have to feel a little stupid for paying that when a few days later the same quality of bull could be had for pennies on the dollar. Where in the Hell did common sense go? I need a beer......................

Doc

trevorgreycattleco said:
ok, first of all try and remember yourself at 23. Me, I was chasing women, dropping LSD, snorting coke, smokin dope, binge drinking, eating mushrooms, eating ecstasy, whatever. At least the truth is in agriculture helping to feed the rest of the idiots. Is he angry? Yes. I have talked to him a few times. He has a pretty cool linebreeding sheep deal going on. Should he chill out? Yes. But at 23 , I wanted to prove myself so bad I would say anything. My old man always told me I had no filter between my brain and my mouth. I have learned over the years to calm down and enjoy life. He will do the same hopefully. That is the beauty of the planet, we all can say our opinions. Just take it for what its worth.

Anywho, Im still disgusted with the sale. Angus breeders would give their left testicle to get Larry Leonhardt to register his cattle. We have the same thing basically at our disposal in the shorthorn breed and this is how it goes. SAD. I dont know who bought the Sneed bull at Sull's but IMO they have to feel a little stupid for paying that when a few days later the same quality of bull could be had for pennies on the dollar. Where in the Hell did common sense go? I need a beer......................

I can remember myself at 23, even though it was 23 years ago . I sure wasn't doing the things you were doing TGCC or had an attitude like Truth. I was too busy making a living & dealing with the public . I can assure you that I wouldn't have been able to accomplish anything with that kind of an attitude.

kfacres

trevorgreycattleco said:

:eek:

nate53

So I'm a new poster and in my upper 20's so be easy on me!

Went to Sneed's sale and bought some heifers at a bargain, was prepared to spend alot more on a couple of them but didn't have to (good for me not so good for the sale).  The main dissapointment was the bulls and what they brought, cows sold okay.  Seems to me like the Shorthorn breed has some stuff backwards, most sales I have went to are females, and maybe a couple of bulls, if the breed want's to change they should do it with buying better bulls with some predectibility to them, like sneeds, a good bull can change a herd a lot faster than buying cows, and its a lot cheaper. Linebreeding isn't the solution but I think it is part of the solution.

My family is a commercail angus operation in northeast Missouri, we don't really buy any females, we raise them, just buy bulls, feedout our own cattle and sell on the grid.  What drew me to the Shorthorn breed a few years ago was docility, maternal abilities, and being able to breed a red animal to a black and end up with a black animal that would theoritically be superior to the straight angus without giving up much if any carcass. 

The black angus breed has been searching for years for the perfect breed to cross with, herfords, gelbvieh, charloais, beefmaster, bramah, the list goes on and on, and all have their drawbacks.  Solid red shorthorn seems like the best to me, I guess time will tell?  But most commercial angus guy's don't give shorthorn a second thought, when angus thinks of shorthorn they see inconsistencey in everything, color, size, calving nightmares, show animals, and a lack of reliable information on the cattle.  You might say who cares what angus thinks, well you should if you want more market share in the commercial sector.  Angus is the number 1 breed in the country by far in numbers whether it's commercial or purebred, and they have a ton of info with them and it's reliable. 

So if you want more consistencey?  Just passed up a sale that would have helped with that!  My comments are not meant to be insulting just motivating! 

sue

nate53 said:
So I'm a new poster and in my upper 20's so be easy on me!

Went to Sneed's sale and bought some heifers at a bargain, was prepared to spend alot more on a couple of them but didn't have to (good for me not so good for the sale).  The main dissapointment was the bulls and what they brought, cows sold okay.  Seems to me like the Shorthorn breed has some stuff backwards, most sales I have went to are females, and maybe a couple of bulls, if the breed want's to change they should do it with buying better bulls with some predectibility to them, like sneeds, a good bull can change a herd a lot faster than buying cows, and its a lot cheaper. Linebreeding isn't the solution but I think it is part of the solution.

My family is a commercail angus operation in northeast Missouri, we don't really buy any females, we raise them, just buy bulls, feedout our own cattle and sell on the grid.  What drew me to the Shorthorn breed a few years ago was docility, maternal abilities, and being able to breed a red animal to a black and end up with a black animal that would theoritically be superior to the straight angus without giving up much if any carcass. 

The black angus breed has been searching for years for the perfect breed to cross with, herfords, gelbvieh, charloais, beefmaster, bramah, the list goes on and on, and all have their drawbacks.  Solid red shorthorn seems like the best to me, I guess time will tell?  But most commercial angus guy's don't give shorthorn a second thought, when angus thinks of shorthorn they see inconsistencey in everything, color, size, calving nightmares, show animals, and a lack of reliable information on the cattle.  You might say who cares what angus thinks, well you should if you want more market share in the commercial sector.  Angus is the number 1 breed in the country by far in numbers whether it's commercial or purebred, and they have a ton of info with them and it's reliable. 

So if you want more consistencey?  Just passed up a sale that would have helped with that!  My comments are not meant to be insulting just motivating!   
Nate 53
I couldnt agree more with you. Thank you again for making the sale a success. SH X AN is better then pb and jelly. Just a comment about splitting pairs- RS pulls fall babies in July..  Should have made a better note about this in the catalog but those females like lot 81 ( 10 yr old) make it look pretty easy.

For any one that bid on the internet or had issues with the internet/auction  please call me.  The pace of the sale was too fast for most of the bids, thats some of my feed back so far. We had over 200 registered to bid.

I am home. Ran out of gas 30 miles from home-I  talked to much, saw the light go on but was paying attention.  Thank goodness for AAA

trevorgreycattleco

Doc said:
trevorgreycattleco said:

I can remember myself at 23, even though it was 23 years ago . I sure wasn't doing the things you were doing TGCC or had an attitude like Truth. I was too busy making a living & dealing with the public . I can assure you that I wouldn't have been able to accomplish anything with that kind of an attitude.

Doc, I sure hope you dont hold my past against me sir. I sure dont live like that now. My only addictions are cows and golf now :) I talk about it because it helps me deal with it and I hope somebody reads it and can avoid those pitfalls. Life teaches us all eventually you get knowhere by being sour all the time. Me and you may completely disagree with what genetics work but I still repect what you have to say. You have been at this alot longer then me. The shorthorn breed needs a Exterme Makeover IMO and we have to get along enough and be able to work together and share information. Honest information. Our breed severly disappointed me the last week or so. Think about it. Sull sells a Sneed bull for 3 or 4 times higher than any selling at Sneeds! To me that is like buying a pair of jeans because the label says Hollister instead of Rustler. Insanity.

trevorgreycattleco

nate53, hello hello hello. That is a great post sir. I read that and just shake my head in agreement. Good for you. You seem to see the big picture much better than the majority of shorthorn breeders. <beer> Keep us updated on how your breeding choices turn out.

sjcattleco

Okotoks said:
There were some really good mature cows going through that ring. One in particular had a 34 son at foot that looked pretty good. So why is a Sneed bull in Sullivan's sale worth $11,500 and so much less at Sneed's. You would think there would be a lot breeders in the area that could have used some of those females. Are they waiting for them to have a SULL prefix so they can pay 5 to 10 times more for them?
Just don't get it. ???

Thats what they sell for when you run an honest sale and don't pull a bunch of FRAUD!!! notice there were no $98000 sales!!! THAT is the kind of sale we should all strive to have!!! Looks like a total success to me alot better than ours turned out last fall!!!! it won't be long till the avearage will move up $500 a head pretty easy!!!  Plus folks there are fewer people out there interested in buying cattle! so they are not easy to sell.

justintime

it.
sjcattleco said:
Okotoks said:
There were some really good mature cows going through that ring. One in particular had a 34 son at foot that looked pretty good. So why is a Sneed bull in Sullivan's sale worth $11,500 and so much less at Sneed's. You would think there would be a lot breeders in the area that could have used some of those females. Are they waiting for them to have a SULL prefix so they can pay 5 to 10 times more for them?
Just don't get it. ???

Thats what they sell for when you run an honest sale and don't pull a bunch of FRAUD!!! notice there were no $98000 sales!!! THAT is the kind of sale we should all strive to have!!! Looks like a total success to me alot better than ours turned out last fall!!!! it won't be long till the avearage will move up $500 a head pretty easy!!!  Plus folks there are fewer people out there interested in buying cattle! so they are not easy to sell.

Things must be different down there than here!  You say there are fewer people out there interested in buying cattle. I have never had so many phone calls from people wanting to buy females. In the last several days, I have had phone calls and emails from people trying to source over 200 females, Most want specific crosses, for example, one family want 50-60 Shorthorn X Angus females. Every one of these inquiries was from a commercial producer. A neighbour told me a few days ago that he has been trying to buy some good open heifers from the auction mart, and the ones he would like to buy have been bringing over $950 each.
I am surprised by the optimism in the cattle business here, especially after a decade of having to use every survival instinct we can muster. Bull sales are strong with lots of commercial producers paying $5000 + for bulls in some breeds. Simmenatal bull sales have been over the top. Two weeks ago there were 4 Simmental bull sales within 100 miles of where I live, that sold 370 bulls in total. The top prices in each of these sales were, $62000, 23,600, 82,200 and $14,500...and I don't think these were all made up prices, in fact I know for certain some of them are very reaL! In some breeds, you can make a huge amount of money from semen sales from the right bull promoted properly.
Personally, a bull that is going to move your breeding program ahead makes much more sense than paying more than that for a new truck, but that is just how I think, I guess . I went truck shopping a few weeks ago. I looked at about 10 trucks of all makes, and the lowest price was $66400 and the highest price was $ 84940... and none of them were duallys.Needless to say, I dropped another motor in my old truck . I have absolutely no problem with someone paying $98,000 for an animal. If it is real, I am just happy they are putting the money back into agriculture and not just buying a bigger house, a new boat, or more toys. I  attended one sale this fall, where a fairly new breeder asked me what I thought some of the better cattle were going to sell for prior to the sale. He then said that he was in a situation where he would have to pay tax of over $200,000 if he didn't find some ways to reduce it.His exact words were " I would far rather help a cattle breeder out than just give it to the government"  He spent close to $50,000 that day on 4 head. After the sale, he said he would have liked to buy more but he was very limited as to how many cattle he could manage on his farm.
My point is that most of us may never be in situations like this, but there are more and more people every year who are, and I am just happy some of these people are actually willing to put some of their money back into agriculture. Not every high price is a scam, but some are. It has been this way since time began.
I think we need to remember, that there are many people who have been very successful and/or very lucky in life.I have a neighbour who runs a large farm and also has 500 Angus commercial cows. He is presently making over $1 Million every week from oil revenue. That's right ... a million each and every week. I don't know of an Angus breeder who doesn't smile when this guy shows up at their bull sale. A guy I grew up with walked out of school on his 16th birthday with a grade 9 education and went to work. 12 years ago he sold his business for over $90 million and he is now the majority shareholder of the Edmonton Oilers hockey team. He also has dumped a pile of money into agriculture over the past few years. He has 4 brothers and sisters, two of which are still in agriculture, and he has shared his good fortune by giving each of them a couple million dollars each. Most of us will have to work hard for each and every dollar but my point is that some people have experienced good fortune.... and I have absolutely no problem when some of these people decide to support someone in this business. They could have taken their money to the Caymen Islands and forgot they ever knew anyone in agriculture