Bad Weather

Help Support Steer Planet:

SWMO

Sick Of Rain!!

A curious fellow died one day and found himself waiting in the long line of judgment.
As he stood there he noticed that some souls were allowed to march right through the pearly gates into Heaven.

Others though, were led over to Satan who threw them into the burning fire.

But every so often, instead of hurling a poor soul into the fire, Satan would toss a soul off to one side into a small pile.

After watching Satan do this several times, the fellow's curiosity got the best of him.

So he strolled over and asked Satan what he was doing. "Excuse me, Prince of Darkness," he said. "I'm waiting in line for Judgment, but I couldn't help wondering. Why are you tossing those people aside instead of flinging them into the Fires of Hell with the others?"

"Oh those . ." Satan groaned.

"They're all from Missouri. They're still too wet to burn." :D

I officially need webbed feet.

ROAD WARRIOR

I have had enough rain to suit me but the wind has been terrible for the last two days. Last night there were tornados rolling through our neighborhood. This morning when I was checking cows, the wind was so bad that I had to hold my hat over my horses tail to keep the wind from blowing the bit out of his mouth. RW

kanshow

RW - That's pretty windy....

I'm mostly tired of the mud.  It's everywhere.  There is suck mud in the cattle pens..  hang on to your boots or you'll be sock footed in it.  My utility room looks like there was a Saturday Night Mud Wrestling Tournament. 

ROAD WARRIOR

Ya the mud is pretty bad. Hauling hay is a bad experience to say the least. We are about half way through calving now so I spend about 4 - 5 hours a day on a horse. This morning the horse was leaving about 6 inch deep tracks in the pasture. But I guess it's worth it, so far I have saved three calves from drowding in our over flowing creeks. RW

kanshow

We went out to take pictures of the fall heifers and came back with pictures of oceans of mud with cattle shaped mudballs on it.   

What kind of girth do you use in this mud?  I went to a nylon thing that I can hose off...   

ROAD WARRIOR

kanshow said:
We went out to take pictures of the fall heifers and came back with pictures of oceans of mud with cattle shaped mudballs on it.   

What kind of girth do you use in this mud?   I went to a nylon thing that I can hose off...     

I have several of the roping style cotton ones. This time of the year between the mud and the horses shedding out their winter hair, I change them about every two to three days and launder the old ones (not in the house!). I have had some of the nylon ones cause the horse to gauld if you use them hard so I went back to cotton. RW

doubled

Sure hope everyone to the east of us gets through the night ok with bad weather, still raining here, The river is out and the pastures are a mess, the lots are a total disaster.
Chance of snow tonight and tomorrow, its down right cold here tonight already in the 30's.  Please spring get here.  I dont know we are ever gonna seed anything let alone plant
corn. yuck

doubled

steermomintx said:
I am new at this so I hope I do it right.

I feel for everyone getting hit by the bad weather, I hope everyone makes it through it fine.

I sure wish we could get some of that moisture in south texas.  We have had maybe 2 inches since November, we are really really dry.  The farmers had to pre-irrigate just to be able to plant crops and the dryland farmers didn't even bother.  Nobody is fertilizing hay fields because of the cost and no rain.  Well again I hope everyone is well and safe!!!! :)

Ditto welcome to steer planet, I totally switched to his forum the people here are awesome, especially Red.  Everyone is very supportative and friendly.  I never feel like an idiot here.
Its ok to disagree but they do it nicely here.  Again welcome.

garett

Well it seems that the weather isnt going to stop yet. This morning when I woke up, it was snowing--I know SNOWING. Its not supposed to be snowing in spring. Well, it isnt snowing a whole lot but still. Hopefully it will soon warm back up to the some 70 odd degrees it was 3 days ago!!

DiamondS

I only use Mohair.  Nylon and neoprene sore horses too easily.  Especially if you spend much time in a saddle.  I have 3 cinches and keep em in a rotation this time of year, like RW.  If you're horse isn't good withered and you're saddle moves around on you when getting on, or roping, you'll really find that those nylon and neoprene cinches are problems.  I know several people who have tried them, and gone back to good old cotton or mohair. 

RW, nice to hear of someone who still calves horseback.  We do most everything horse back.  On occasion if it's pouring rain, we'll take the Kawasaki mule out....  I melt I guess.  ;D

ROAD WARRIOR

DiamondS said:
I only use Mohair.  Nylon and neoprene sore horses too easily.  Especially if you spend much time in a saddle.  I have 3 cinches and keep em in a rotation this time of year, like RW.  If you're horse isn't good withered and you're saddle moves around on you when getting on, or roping, you'll really find that those nylon and neoprene cinches are problems.  I know several people who have tried them, and gone back to good old cotton or mohair. 

RW, nice to hear of someone who still calves horseback.  We do most everything horse back.  On occasion if it's pouring rain, we'll take the Kawasaki mule out....  I melt I guess.  ;D

I sold all of the 4 wheelers almost two years ago and went back to the horses. Much easier to work cattle on. The down side is like last week when it rains day after day. I spent 6 hours a day on a horse in the rain, didn't melt but I felt like I might have started to get runny!  :)  RW

Davis Shorthorns

Right now in Kansas we are having 50 mph gusts and it is blowing everything over.  We are just starting to get back to normal after the nasty ice storm we had back in Dec.  Oh well, hope none of the cattle are standing under any trees tonight.

doubled

Yeah here in Iowa we are under a wind advisory but its sure better than what we have been having, tomorrow night rain is moving in again.
But at least I see green grass now, the pastures sure look punk this year so far.

minimoo38

justamom said:
I actually heard the Snow word today for tomorrow, I sure wish Spring would come.

yeah, who woulda thought, snow in the middle of april  ::)

justamom said:
Yeah here in Iowa we are under a wind advisory but its sure better than what we have been having, tomorrow night rain is moving in again.
But at least I see green grass now, the pastures sure look punk this year so far.

rain again??? this just plain sucks. thanks to the 50+ mph wind, it's almost impossible to move after the 2 feet deep skidloader tracks now have a crust on them, which, by the way only LOOKS dry. i found out the hard way that it really wasn't!!!  :eek: i just so happened to step on a track crust, and i sunk up to my knee. as i kept going, my other leg hit the permanently wet slop, and i ended up sitting down in said slop.  :mad: you can't get out of that stuff unless you ROLL out. oh yes, i said roll out.  ::) needless to say, my clothes have quite the pre-soak to do.  ;D

red

OK, tractors are moving, trailers have tanks on them, lot is full of pick-up trucks. Do I smell spring in the air?!!!! YEA!!!!!!

Red

kanshow

Yes, yesterday was a gusty one..  today is going to be even worse, they say.   

steermomintx

Thanks for the welcome!!!  I haven't had much time to watch the weather are things getting better up north???  I hope everyone is ok!!!! (lol)

justamom said:
steermomintx said:
I am new at this so I hope I do it right.

I feel for everyone getting hit by the bad weather, I hope everyone makes it through it fine.

I sure wish we could get some of that moisture in south texas.  We have had maybe 2 inches since November, we are really really dry.  The farmers had to pre-irrigate just to be able to plant crops and the dryland farmers didn't even bother.  Nobody is fertilizing hay fields because of the cost and no rain.  Well again I hope everyone is well and safe!!!! :)

Ditto welcome to steer planet, I totally switched to his forum the people here are awesome, especially Red.  Everyone is very supportative and friendly.  I never feel like an idiot here.
Its ok to disagree but they do it nicely here.  Again welcome.

DiamondS

I sold all of the 4 wheelers almost two years ago and went back to the horses. Much easier to work cattle on. The down side is like last week when it rains day after day. I spent 6 hours a day on a horse in the rain, didn't melt but I felt like I might have started to get runny!    RW

Horses make life a whole lot easier for us.  Cows are quieter, I'm happier, and we can make good horses.  It's especially much easier to deal with a problem when you have one. 

I'm near Manhattan, KS and the winds are finally trying to subside!!  We're itching to keep burning pastures, but not sure I'm going to attempt it yet- wind's still at 20mph gusts.  Supposed to rain tonight through tomorrow.  Before long, it'll be too green to burn......  Could sure use some calm dry days.

jason

Second everyone on the wind, it has knocked the propeller off my small windmill and sent it 50 yards out into the pasture. 

Latest posts