Bull Hall of Fame

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

It has been suggestion starting a bull hall of fame. Yes, for equal opportunity we will look at a cow's one also. I thought maybe we could take a bull a week, one that has really made strides, improvements, changes & influenced their breed. Have a picture of the bull & stats  such as EPD's, progeny & career highlights.
Is this something that would be of interest? If so what should the first bull be? I thought we could do a different bred each time.

(welcome)

Red
\

Show Heifer

Love the idea!!! (clapping)
Doing a breed a week? Taking suggestions??

red

Show Heifer said:
Love the idea!!! (clapping)
Doing a breed a week? Taking suggestions??

Yes, taking all & any suggestions! If you can tell me why the bull has made an impact too that would be great.Especially from different breeds. also ideas on where I can find information about the bulls.
Thanks!!!!!!

Red

DL

red said:
dragon lady said:
Little Yellow Jacket!

Now, that is one I'm not familiar with! What is he?

Red

OK red - here we go

Little Yellow Jacket (aka LYJ)

Red horned bull, one up and one down

3 time PBR (Professional Bull Riders) Bull of the Year -  the only bull in the history of the PBR to capture the illustrious World Champion Bull title for three years running (2002, 2003, 2004 - this is a record!!).

At the end of 2004, Little Yellow Jacket had been ridden only 11 times in 76 attempts to an average score of 93 points (100 is max - 93 average is amazing)

Ridden on April 24, 2004 for an outstanding score of 96.5 points, which tied the record for the highest marked
ride in PBR history

Why I like this bull - fabulous athlete and honest who gives 100% each and every time - never had an off day - he stands in the chute - the door opens - he bucks and spins until the cowboy is off or the 8 seconds is over - then he stands and faces the crowd, turns and walks out - human athletes "eat your heart out!"

There are a wide variety of LYJ progeny around - some  with "jacket" names some without - some are good but none can compare to Dad. Can't say I'd use him (if I could afford him) but sure do admire him!  (cow)

Attachments

• LYJ 4.jpg
    LYJ 4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 12,411

AAOK

Here's one for the Record Books - PLD PURSUIT  Maine-Anjou

The Bull that Changed the Black Maine-Anjou phenotype from resembling the traditional to looking like Heavy Muscled Angus.l

Such a Shame

http://maine-anjou.weaveyourwebdreams.com/breed/pedigree.asp?RegNo=157403

red

DL- would never have thought of a bucking bull but that is a good catagory!

AAOK, I have to agree w/ you, PP really made some huge changes in the genetic make-up of the Maines. I thought though I'd start out w/ Cunia, since he has made some of the greatest influence on the breed. I'll put PP as good one to profile too.

Red

DL

AAOK said:
Here's one for the Record Books - PLD PURSUIT  Maine-Anjou

The Bull that Changed the Black Maine-Anjou phenotype from resembling the traditional to looking like Heavy Muscled Angus.l

Such a Shame

http://maine-anjou.weaveyourwebdreams.com/breed/pedigree.asp?RegNo=157403

[size=10pt]AMEN!![/size]

red

dragon lady said:
red said:
dragon lady said:
Little Yellow Jacket!

Red

OK red - here we go

3 time PBR (Professional Bull Riders) Bull of the Year -  the only bull in the history of the PBR to capture the illustrious World Champion Bull title for three years running (2002, 2003, 2004 - this is a record!!).

At the end of 2004, Little Yellow Jacket had been ridden only 11 times in 76 attempts to an average score of 93 points (100 is max - 93 average is amazing)

Ridden on April 24, 2004 for an outstanding score of 96.5 points, which tied the record for the highest marked
ride in PBR history

Why I like this bull - fabulous athlete and honest who gives 100% each and every time - never had an off day - he stands in the chute - the door opens - he bucks and spins until the cowboy is off or the 8 seconds is over - then he stands and faces the crowd, turns and walks out - human athletes "eat your heart out!"

There are a wide variety of LYJ progeny around - some  with "jacket" names some without - some are good but none can compare to Dad. Can't say I'd use him (if I could afford him) but sure do admire him!  (cow)

I also bet he never beat up his wife or girlfriend, robbed anyone, tested positive for drugs, bet on PBR matches, beat up a fan or official (well, maybe he went after the rodeo clowns) or took polic on a multi car chase.
Maybe he is actually an athlete we can admire!
Great choice & start!
Red

knabe

my vote for bull hall of fame is ankonian dynamo, one of the early show ring performance bull's and also probably a good source of tenderness carcass genes.  also a red carrier.  in EXT's lineage

standout bull for performance and looks, though #'s look strange by today's standards.  a bull that laymen knew who he was.  set standard for good females, and marketing hype.

http://powellangusranch.homestead.com/foundationsires.html
http://www.pineridgeangus.com/history.html
http://www.rishelangus.com/pages/history.html
http://www.layoutlooks.com/z_lawson_newsletters/story_result.ihtml?article_id=19

BW -1  WW +9  YW +16  SC -16 Milk +2  $F -23.88  $B -3.96

that said,
www.angusjournal.com/ArticlePDF/0397aj_BeefLogic.pdf

Telos

knabe-- Must agree with you on Ankonian Dynamo. Murry Corbin, was one of the great seed stock producers of beef genetics of any breed.

Dynamo  was out of one of those cows which Ankony purchased from Murry Corbin. I feel his influence still plays an important role in todays modern Angus.

shortyjock89

knabe- good call..that is an excellent example of top Angus genetics.  I think that the first Shorthorn entry into the hall of fame should be Deerpark Improver.  , He is the basis for soo many herds today. I think that ELBEE should know. ;D  Irish genetics really pushed the Shorthorn breed to be the maternal powerhouse that it is (well, it is if you have the right kind of animals).  Descendants of Improver's still perform quite well in the showring and go on to make excellent cows.  He is what I would call "The Irish Cow Changer"        There are soo many other good Shorthorn bulls that I could talk about all day long, but Improver should be at the top of any Shorthorn breeder's list.

DL

Now I believe that I might be entering the proverbial sticky wicket here but in addition to all the wonderful things Improver brought to US Shorthorns - he also gave us TH - how do we balance that out? or do we blame the foolish humans for so much linebreeding (inbreeding) that it wasn't an issue until we started heavily breeding for a specific look? Or may be we should just blame the Dexters - they had it first and since there are no available Dexter TH samples it could be the same defect....another side of the bull hall of fame coin....DL[size=10pt][size=10pt][/size][/size]

MY MISTAKE - THE DEXTERS IN AUSTRALIA HAVE THE PHA GENE - IT IS THE GALLOWAYS THAT HAVE THE TH GENE!!!!! AGHHH THE BRAIN HAS ADDLED!!

DL

red said:
dragon lady said:
red said:
dragon lady said:
Little Yellow Jacket!

Red

OK red - here we go

ride in PBR history

I also bet he never beat up his wife or girlfriend, robbed anyone, tested positive for drugs, bet on PBR matches, beat up a fan or official (well, maybe he went after the rodeo clowns) or took polic on a multi car chase.
Maybe he is actually an athlete we can admire!
Great choice & start!
Red

You are absolutely right about that and in addition he never intentionally went after the cowboy, the bull fighters or the clown - he looked at the crowd turned and walked out. (He didn't smoke either!) ;D ;D ;D

shortyjock89

I blame the Dexters -CURSE YOU DEXTERS!!!. No, but really I think that the TH issue is so big because of linebreeding. Sure, there would be a few cases of TH here and there, but linebreeding is what made it appear in alot of today's prominent cow families.  I think that all of the good things that Improver has brought us outweighs TH. It takes a heck of a bull to be bigger than TH.  JMO

red

Thanks Knabe! I'll go w/ your choice next week.
Will probably use Deerpark as the Shorthorn also. I think I agree w/ Shorty that he has definitely made changes in the breed. Can pick a non-carrier for the next go around.
Always open to discussion!

Red (welcome)

ELBEE

DL, go easy on us "in-breeders". It's kinda like holding a lit stick of dynamite,  either your a genius or responsible for the train wreck!

By the way, our Web-site is up and running. ELBEE Farms.com. The search engines could take a couple weeks more though.

DL

Hey ELBEE - You are one of my favorite "line breederes" and certainly you end up on the genius side of the train wreck!  ;D ;D ;D

I have had similar thoughts about Draft Pick (although I don't think his impact on the breed was as great as Improver was on the Shorthorns) - he certainly sired some fabulous females (esp half blood Angus) but he also gave us PHA (well actually we can blame Paramount)

It is always interesting....dl