Bulls that sired the "meanest" calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

sjcattleco

SUGAR RAY! When I was a kid one buddy had one that cleared a 14 ft solid wall and another buddy had a Sugar Ray that killed a donkey!

GLZ

Lucy Boy goes by a different name around here.  Most markets around here simply call his calves Looney Bast@rds instead of Lucy Boys

kanshow

I'd forgotten about the Limi bull 747.  We use a son of him and kept all the heifers one year.  That whole mess was a bunch of crazys.  They'd jump anything, think nothing of taking a person, and to top it all off, we couldn't hardly get rid of them because we couldn't keep them in the pens long enough to load. 

Donnie Paddick

Play Ray's have been some of my worst but not as bad as JC Superstar an old black chi bull from the 80's.

yuppiecowboy

Whoever brought up this topic is evil. Long repressed horrible memories came flooding back.

Ildeno. You ever go to salebarns and see how they welded another 2 bars of pipe on the ring? I blame Ildeno.

Sugar Ray. Oh my. Young people refer to Heatseeker or Flush calves being a little tough, but you havent seen batshat crazy until you tied up a pen of Sugs for the first time. Not just scared and high strung, F in MEAN. Kick to kill and flat out take you like a spanish fighting bull. We used to call it the Sugar Ray Roar, that BLEEEEAHHHH death rattle with the eyes rolling back in their head, tounge sticking out, wanting to stomp you back in time... (shudder) and thats when you broke em as 4 month old weanlings.

Throttle himself was a pet. I talked to a guy from Michigan at Frye n Harkemas bull sale many years ago that said he came early and went through Russ's cows. He asked who the cool bull was and when russ said it was Throttle the guy dove in the back of his pickup. Russ went over and scratched his back. That being said, the first time I saw a ring in a steers nose was a Throttle. Cool SOB, but they said if you didnt have a tight grip on the snot buster he would try to kill you. Thats a fat steer with 29 shows under his belt. thats just a mean bugger right there.

The all time worst individual I ever was around was a Nero. (Sugar Rays Daddy for the younguns). Super cool summer born steer that didnt weigh 400# when we started working with him. The size of a sheep and he broke a chute and had 3 proven cowboys hanging from the rafters of a converted dairy barn. No joke, he was on his back legs jumping to get us. I understand cattle being scared with a fight or flight instinct, but the standard is they would rather get away than get you. Nope. Satan incarnate had a wide open gate to go through, in fact he did twice, only to come back hoping to get a piece of somebody. Little bastage was hunting us like I would imagine a Grizzly would.

Thanks for opening the old wounds. I am going to have nightmares for a while. All that therapy out the window...

justme

OK I laughed so hard on that one I about shot my drink out my nose! (lol)  I think your the Baxter Black of Steerplanet lol. 

farmboy

(clapping) (clapping) (clapping) we have had a few crazys around here, never anything that chased me outta the barn. my brother on the other hand, man he had some goobers

Dusty

I do have to say that it has been my experience that heifers generally have more attitude than steers.... I'm not implying anything, I'm just saying..:)  And it's always the pretty ones that have the attitude it seems....

shortyjock89

Dusty said:
I do have to say that it has been my experience that heifers generally have more attitude than steers.... I'm not implying anything, I'm just saying..:)  And it's always the pretty ones that have the attitude it seems....

For sure...and MOOOOODDYYYYYY  good gravy my heifer this year can't tell whether she wants to lick me or run me over it seems like.

Dusty

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Dusty said:

For sure...and MOOOOODDYYYYYY  good gravy my heifer this year can't tell whether she wants to lick me or run me over it seems like.

Wait until they try to do both...LOL

OH Breeder

I purchased two double bred lucy boy cows. When I sold them a year or so later they were 1900 and 2100#"s. They were the scaries things. BIg as a barn and were nuts. It took 6 of us to get them in a squeeze chute that we didn't have to squeeze because they were so big.

yuppiecowboy

Dusty, you are treading in treacherous water. Sometimes speaking truth will get you in more trouble than lying.

With the male of any speci, you know what you are dealing with from the first encounter. A mean bull is a mean bull and a friendly steer is a friendly steer. Where life gets puzzling and keeps divorce attorneys in BMWs is the female that can be a nuzzling pet one minute can be a rabid Sugar Ray the next. And its your fault. Even though you did nothing different.

shortyjock89

Haha...Girls are tough.  I've got FAR too far to go with this whole "dating-marriage-rest of my life" thing. 

Cattledog

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Haha...Girls are tough.  I've got FAR too far to go with this whole "dating-marriage-rest of my life" thing.   

First of all I have been laughing my butt off at all of these posts!  I truly think it is because I have jumped over so many fences evading EXT's, Scotch Cap's, and 598's!  BTW, take it from a newly married and ten months later the father of a baby girl, the rest of my life thing will definitely be interesting!  Oh yeah....I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!  It keeps you young! ;D

redwingfarm

The meanest calf we ever had was a heatwave steer who at last years fair weigh in just lost his mind, literally, I think it just fell out on the ground as he was trying to jump or trash every gate and person with in the whole area code, he was so wound up that we never took him back home, dropped him off at a friends feedlot and limped home, he got me in the trailer, I was so lame for three weeks that if had been a horse my wife would have shot me.  Plus my daughter was mad at me for ever getting such a beast and has required me to get her approval on any calf in the future and it better not have any "heat" in its pedigree.

inthebarnagain

OMG!  These stories are killing me so now I have to tell one.  If you would ask any of the 30-40ish men who were at our fair in the early 80's they would say the craziest calf they were ever around was a hereford steer.  That is right a hereford steer.

My younger sister and I were both in 4-H and showed steers out of my grandpa's herd.  My sister at the time was a whopping 65 pounds and we had been at the fair all week, show was over, she had won her class and won showmanship with her little steer. It was Friday and we were getting ready for the auction. We had ran home to get cleaned up for the auction that night and the remaining teenage boys and adult leaders were moving the steers to get them in the sale order.  When we got back to the fairgrounds we were told that my sister's steer had went nuts and drug a kid when they went to move him.  He jumped 4 gates to get into the auction ring and then started walking around the ring calmly.  They figured they had spooked him so they went to catch him again and just for good measure 4 of them went this time. 

As the story goes the little fat hereford was at high speed when he went through the last gate out of the auction ring dragging 4 teenage boys.  When he had brushed them off my sister's little friend (who was a year younger and even smaller, and a girl) saw what was going on, went over picked the steers leadrope up and led him over to where they wanted him tied.  No men had ever led him and apparently he wanted to keep it that way!

bcosu

thank goodness that i've never had any real stories like these! we've got a couple bad medicines that don't like to be told what to do but they eventually give in. one of the weird things is when you have a really tame cow that happens to become really mean whenever she has a calf. we had one that never had the problem before and she would let you come up and rub on her and her calf whenever. one year she changed and i found out quite suddenly that she doesn't like you checking on her babies. i never got a full blow but she definitely helped me over the gate!