Bulls that sired the "meanest" calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sly

i have a heatwave / ext. that is nuts.  Have a few full thottles that are bonkers.  Jack frosts are no slouches either. them exts take the cake. <party>

Hilltop

sjcattleco said:
SUGAR RAY! When I was a kid one buddy had one that cleared a 14 ft solid wall and another buddy had a Sugar Ray that killed a donkey!
Funny how people say his calves were hunters. My last year in 4-H I had a Sugar-Ray steer and he was a dog. We also had a Heat seeker son that we ran for one summer and stiffled himself and we could walk up to him anywhere and scratch him.

LostFarmer

What about the selar cattle.  The ones I were around were wild as deer.

My little brother the vet likes to say.  Three cows running for the fence.  An angus, a Selar, and a herford.  The Selar never clipped a wire as she went over.  The Angus stopped and just crawled through and the hereford just laid down and prolapsed.    <cowboy>

Joe Boy

sjcattleco said:
SUGAR RAY! When I was a kid one buddy had one that cleared a 14 ft solid wall and another buddy had a Sugar Ray that killed a donkey!

I had some Sugar Ray's that I hauled to the sale barn after they hurt me.  I had a great granddaughter of Sugar Ray that hyper extended my knee and tore my MCL last year.

sjcattleco

LOL I have to laugh at this one.. If you are under about 40 you can't really answer this one accurately... The Chi's from the 80s take the cake hands down!  I think the over all meanest has to be sugar ray with yuma and Illdeno close behind.. I had a High School buddy that had a Sugar Ray that killed a donkey. and they finally broke that sucker but it was the battle of the century!!!

chambero

I've never heard of one killing a donkey.  That's an accomplishment.  In 87, a chi calf my mentor had for sale charged a Hispanic at the end of a long halter and hit him head to face.  Totally crushed his face.  He was in the hospital over a month.  Calf went to the sale barn.

LostFarmer

I remember the only Chi cross calves that came to our fair in the 80's were handfuls.  One calf spent the summer tied behind the baler.  He eventually was able to lead but he took some work.  We have been lucky for the most part not many mean ones.  Last years was a little goofy at first but came around pretty good.  We had a bottle raised hereford calf that we put in with him. 

bluffcountrycattle

The angus Right Time and Right Time 338's can have some attitude!  Both decendants of EXT.  Was at the IL Futurity a few years back and a Right Time son laid out the handler (on the halter) in the sale ring!  They dragged the guy by his ankles under the gates to save him.  Scary...  Those cows can sure keep the coyotes at bay though at calving time...  :eek:

lightnin4

We had some Chi cows in our commercial herd iduring the 80's that would eat you alive!  One put me in the back of the truck several times--then she would just circle the truck blowing snot and pawing the ground.  I was quite happy to see them go!  I had 2 angus show heifers in the early 90's out of a bull called Hoff Challenger that were pretty crazy.  One came from a farm in KY the other came from a farm in GA and other than the bull had no similar breeding.  One heifer was halterbroke when we got her but she went nuts one day and nearly tore our wooden fence down.  The other one was just crazy from day one!  Neither one made it to the showring.

Will

The worst cows I have ever been around was a group of Saler cows that came from a mountain in oregon. I am sure they made the long trip to Oklahoma to see thier first human and they did not like what they found. We were checking calves with the window down and one of those cows got her head and neck and one leg in the cab.  We could not bale out because all of her mates were on the other side ready for the kill.  She finally flopped herself out and decided I was not tagging any saler calves ever again.  Had cowboys on horses bring them in and at one time one horse had a cowboy and a cow on her back.  I wish I had a camera. 

Bone2011

and who could forget about the angus bull Checkmate? them were some sicotic buggers. EXT and 598 have to be close to that bad

Cattledog

bluffcountrycattle said:
The angus Right Time and Right Time 338's can have some attitude!  Both decendants of EXT.  Was at the IL Futurity a few years back and a Right Time son laid out the handler (on the halter) in the sale ring!  They dragged the guy by his ankles under the gates to save him.  Scary...  Those cows can sure keep the coyotes at bay though at calving time...  :eek:

I remember that!  That sale ring can be a death-trap with a calm calf let alone a crazy one.

rasor club calves

I have a mossy oak that we put a halter on at probably 600 and tied her up. i had to untie her with show stick!( hard to do) she is a heck of a cow and calmed down and never even got to comb her. To the guy that said habenaro was a fighter we had a 1400 pound FAT steer puppy dog, and a 1150 green as grass steer that was a little flighty, he was blind or almost in his show side eye though.

ZNT

Several years ago, I used to clip bull for a large Angus breeder's bull sale every year, and you always knew when you got into a pen of heifer bulls "EXT" bloodlines. They were just flat out crazy vs. the other bulls.  The breeder would advertise their vigor and their athleticism. That was an understatement!

Latest posts