Bulls that sired the "meanest" calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

afhm

Who could forget The Mailman's calves.
Other than those some of the craziest I have ever had were sired by:
Friction - my barn and body has suffered permanent damage from those mean buggers
Dr. Hook - same here on the damages
Who Made Who
Warpath
Lifeline
Heat Wave
Jack Frost
Mossy Oak

Jive Turkey

afhm said:
Friction - my barn and body has suffered permanent damage from those mean buggers
Who Made Who
Warpath
Lifeline
Heat Wave
Jack Frost
Mossy Oak

By the looks of your bulls you've only been breeding the last 10 years or so but I will tell you through experience that none of those bulls calves were even close to as crazy as the Chi bulls of the early to mid 80's.

No contest.

We used to have to tie two halters together to even halter the suckers b/c we couldn't and wouldn't get that close to them.

chambero

Jive Turkey said:
afhm said:
Who Made Who
Warpath
Lifeline
Heat Wave
Jack Frost
Mossy Oak

By the looks of your bulls you've only been breeding the last 10 years or so but I will tell you through experience that none of those bulls calves were even close to as crazy as the Chi bulls of the early to mid 80's.

No contest.

We used to have to tie two halters together to even halter the suckers b/c we couldn't and wouldn't get that close to them.

We had some back then we'd have to buy Ace or Thorazine for by the gallon.  OK, not literally, but a bottle sure didn't go as far back then as it does now! ;)

Herfsnclubbies

I have been hovering over this board for quite some time now and this topic is just too good not to post.  By far and away the orneriest cattle that I have been around go back to Sugar Ray. Back in the day one of my friends that worked at the bull stud said that every single day someone would pull in just to see Sugar Ray.  Throttle was classic for having the disposition of Sugar Ray and threw that attitude a good percentage of the time. We only kept one Throttle female in the herd and she threw a good one everytime. She ended up being sent to town because she tore down our corrals two years in a row at A.I. time.

Two of the craziest individuals I have ever saw both had EXT in their pedigree. One was at Denver for the foundation female sale. A march heifer calf that cleaned out a good section of the yards.  She had enough Thorazine and ace in her to tip over an elephant and all she wanted to do was eat everyone in sight.
The other was a Sugar Ray X EXT. Someone I knew was going to try some of the old school throw back genetics on an awesome PB Angus cow.  It failed miserably.

Someone listed Who on their list. Every who we had was the first to halter break and was flat dog gentle.  Who himself came up to the fence asking to be petted everytime I visited Hawkeye.

farmerboy317

we have a problem at shows the heifers will be crazy and at home they will be good , steers will be good at shows but bad at home and most of the pretty steers and heifers are always bad and the not so pretty steers and heifer are always good.

mechanic

I may be showing some age but the absolute worst cows we ever had were some old fullblood simmental cows sired by Lacomb Achillies. They would eat you for breakfast and then come back for lunch.

justintime

I couldn't agree more Jim. I used to work at Bar 5 Simmental , Douglas, Manitoba for about a month each spring before their sales. Lacombe Achilles was a pet... one of the quietest bulls you would find anywhere, yet his daughters in particular were usually bonkers. Dutch was a true killer yet his calves were very docile and easy to work with. Dutch was kept in a pen with 8 foot walls and we dumped the feed over the fence by standing on a ladder. Everything he could destroy was totally destoyed in his pen. One fall he treed a duck hunter in a pasture and he kept him up there for 2 days before he was found.

DLD

Well, I've been doing this way more than ten years, but I'll still put Jack Frost and The Mailman at the top of my list.  I've seen plenty of bad ones of all breeds, but the highest percentage of downright mean individuals I've been around have come from these two, as well as the lowest percentage of good natured ones. 

I worked lots of sales 20 - 25 years ago, including several Chi and Simmi sales, but they weren't generally as scary as the Limi sales...

Kupfarm

We had one Play Ray heifer that was born nuts.  At 6 months old, she broke my dad's arm, broke another friend's leg, and got me on the ground and pounded the heck out of me all in one week.  She went to the sale as soon as we could get her loaded.  At the sale barn, she went through a wood gate and cleared 2 steel one to get out of there.  We found out later that several friends of ours had major problems with his Play Ray calves.

We also had a shorthorn steer that would not let any adult lead him.  The minute my dad, stepmom, or grandpa walked into the barn, he went ballastic.  He charged my stepmom and she took a louisville slugger to him and he was fine with everyone after that. 

afhm

Jive Turkey said:
afhm said:
Who Made Who
Warpath
Lifeline
Heat Wave
Jack Frost
Mossy Oak

No contest.

Been around longer than that, just mentioned the newer ones.

Shorthorn_Junkie

Jive Turkey said:
afhm said:

No contest.

Amen to that! 

Got ran over and knocked down several times by plenty of Chi influenced animals back in the 80's myself.   

I had one Chi influenced animal back in the late 80's that I tried to trap in the barn one time.  She was so determined to get out that when I tried to shut the gate on her she got caught in between it and one of the wooden posts that holds the barn up.  She ended up bending the end of the gate and she almost broke the barn post nearly in two.   Knocked me down in the process of course. 

harley

What I know about angus blood lines you could put in a shot glass, so maybe some of you could help me out here.  A friend flushed their angus cow, who is tame to a fault, to EXR Lutton.  The calves.... NUTS!  Beautiful calves, but never got one single one of them to the show ring because the were.... NUTS!  Since so many of you have listed EXR as a bad boy, I wondered if there's a link between him and Lutton?  Any one else have trouble with Lutton calves?

red

we had some terrible times w/ Charlois cows. They'd about bend the gates to get at you when they had a calf.
We had a Lucy Boy bull & his calves were'nt much different than the others.
There was a bull named Poison that I think had some temper. Was also told by a well know breeder not to use Heat Seeker becacuse of the temperment. Of course this was right at his begining.

Red

showsteerdlux

harley said:
What I know about angus blood lines you could put in a shot glass, so maybe some of you could help me out here.  A friend flushed their angus cow, who is tame to a fault, to EXR Lutton.  The calves.... NUTS!  Beautiful calves, but never got one single one of them to the show ring because the were.... NUTS!  Since so many of you have listed EXR as a bad boy, I wondered if there's a link between him and Lutton?  Any one else have trouble with Lutton calves?
Its EXT that is the problem. EXT is the name of a bull, EXAR is the brand name for Express Angus Ranch.
Most of the EXAR Lutton calves I have seen are very calm si I don't know where the craziness came in.

CAB

Actually, 5522's could mother aggressively also. He is the sire of EXT, if I remember right. What few HS's I've had haven't been too bad. Brent

cornershack

That's just great, JT thanks a lot we just pick up a Heatwave, the the first family was scared of him when they got him home.  He was snottin and snortin in the trailer. we had second chance on him and took him. no seriously my daughter is 16 and has halter trained her own steer the last two times.(champion showmanship this year) we got him last night, she walked him up and down the barn twice today. he shows a little attitude but nothing that is not manageable. i'm guessing the Jack Frost is not the Shorthorn. her heifer last year had a pile of attitude, she is a shorthorn Jack Frost. this years heifer is a Sin City.

Latest posts