Calf Pictures: Please Share Yours!

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsteerdlux

cattlejunky said:
Check this guy out.  He was born Saturday 3/1.  We named him Mongo (since he is huge)  We lost the cow.  She prolapsed. :'(.  It is a miracle that she got him out and he was alive.  We were not home and went to check the cows and this guy was up walking around balliing.  We are not sure who cleaned him up. The cow did not show signs of being due (no bag or discharge)  Her 1st calf was big also.  Bred to calving ease bulls.
Who is he out of? Looks like he should make a durn good steer.

LinZ

Here's an updated pic of my baby...1 week old in pic... Mo Love

LinZ

Attachments

• SR MO Love.jpg
    SR MO Love.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 763

cattlejunky

showsteerdlux said:
cattlejunky said:
Check this guy out.  He was born Saturday 3/1.  We named him Mongo (since he is huge)  We lost the cow.  She prolapsed. :'(.  It is a miracle that she got him out and he was alive.  We were not home and went to check the cows and this guy was up walking around balliing.  We are not sure who cleaned him up. The cow did not show signs of being due (no bag or discharge)  Her 1st calf was big also.  Bred to calving ease bulls.
Who is he out of? Looks like he should make a durn good steer.
He is out of a Payoff cow and an Irish Whiskey son.  ? on how he will turn out since we are bottle feeding him. we hope for the best.

cattlejunky

Good news for Mongo.  We had a cow adopt him.  She was in labor when he was in the barn so I think she thinks he is hers.  She has a calf on her, plus Mongo now.
She is heifer, but has alot of milk and we are feeding her well. (clapping)

showsteerdlux

cattlejunky said:
Good news for Mongo.  We had a cow adopt him.  She was in labor when he was in the barn so I think she thinks he is hers.  She has a calf on her, plus Mongo now.
She is heifer, but has alot of milk and we are feeding her well. (clapping)
Thats great. Good luck with him!! (thumbsup)

RSC

A photo I took with my phone.  "Lover", Duffs New Edition X Jessica(Dr. Business Dam)  70 lbs at birth.

RSC

Attachments

• Ruby.jpg
    Ruby.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 908

RSC

showsteerdlux said:
Very impressive calf!! How old is she?
If your replying to me, the New Edition calf is a bull calf a little over a week old.

Thanks,

RSC

showsteerdlux

RSC said:
showsteerdlux said:
Very impressive calf!! How old is she?
If your replying to me, the New Edition calf is a bull calf a little over a week old.

Thanks,

RSC
Sorry saw the name ruby on the pic and assumed it was a heifer. Very nice calf!!! (thumbsup)

Ruebush Shorthorns

Here are two calves from Feb.  The roan is a double bred Double Down heifer and the black heifer is a First Rate X Heatseeker.  They are the only two I have had this tear so far.  The black one was backwards and the vet wanted to cut a leg off because they thought it was dead.  Thank God we got it out before they did that.  The second pic the shorthorn is sticking her tounge out at me.

Attachments

• Double down red calf and First Rate X Heatseeker 2.JPG
    Double down red calf and First Rate X Heatseeker 2.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 841
  • Double Bred Double Down 2.JPG
    Double Bred Double Down 2.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 840

OH Breeder

Dusty said:
Ruebush Shorthorns said:
Here are two calves from Feb.  The roan is a double bred Double Down heifer and the black heifer is a First Rate X Heatseeker.  They are the only two I have had this tear so far.  The black one was backwards and the vet wanted to cut a leg off because they thought it was dead.  Thank God we got it out before they did that.  The second pic the shorthorn is sticking her tounge out at me.

I thought veterinarians were supposed to be way smarter than everyone else that didn't go to school for 8 years.  Hmmm....I guess you're vet must have been sick a couple days at vet school or maybe they just don't as much as some vets think they do......:)
Remember, lots of vets like doctors get there training in the field. Last year my vet allowed a student come and palpate a cow that was over due. I was apprehensive and said okay. The student said and I quote....she could go as long as month. You must have your dates wrong. The calf isn't going to weigh any more than 65#'s." so, we didn't think anything about it and turned her out. 3 days later, as always, she found the corner of the pasture with the most mud and tried to have the calf who was stuck. His nose and front feet had been out for we do'nt know how long. He was a two person pull and weighed about 115#'s. he lived two days and died of resp. complications likely aspirations. When the vet offered students this year I said NOT unless you are with them and recheck the cows after.

On another note, nice looking calves. LIke the roan even if she is sticking her tongue out, the nerve....lol. ;D

CAB

Hey Dusty, you know that there are vets that frequent this board daily, right. There are even some college pre-vet students on here too. Go get'em. LOL.

CAB

Hey everyone, potentially some very good prospects. Tony, there are quite a few of your's that have a cool look. I was going to use either New Edition, or new Attraction, but didn't know if I have the right cows for them. Was wondering if the bulls are big enough framed for me. They are more than likely just what I may need with the commodity prices, but I'm too stupid to use them.

RSC

CAB said:
Hey everyone, potentially some very good prospects. Tony, there are quite a few of your's that have a cool look. I was going to use either New Edition, or new Attraction, but didn't know if I have the right cows for them. Was wondering if the bulls are big enough framed for me. They are more than likely just what I may need with the commodity prices, but I'm too stupid to use them.
I would guess these calves out of larger framed cows to end up in the low 6 frame.  He will downsize but they will be big enough for me.  Seem to be very consistant in quality and good bone and big tops.  I will use him again and I also have a bull we raised that is a New Look X OCC Judge(Double bred Emblazon).  I am hoping he breeds like New Edition since he is out of his Brother.

RSC

ai er

ok, I'll give it a shot.  These calves were all born the last week of Feb.  Pictures taken this morning about 18 deg. outside.

Attachments

• HW1bull.JPG
    HW1bull.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 724
  • myturnheifer.JPG
    myturnheifer.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 712
  • palefaceheifer.JPG
    palefaceheifer.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 702
  • manchildhefer.JPG
    manchildhefer.JPG