clubby bull to improve disposition?

Help Support Steer Planet:

steerpimp

I have a three quarter angus cow that has really nice calves but have never been able to show one because they have all been insane.She has a Giggalo Joe hefier that we just started breaking and it kicks like a mule. I would like to breed her back to something that would cool down her psyco tendencies.Maybe I want to much but I would also like to use a maternal bull so I would be able to keep a hefier as a replacement.Clubby bulls that I have in my tank are Gigalo Joe Maximus ,Juneau but I could get semen on any bull.Any suggestions.Thanks.

NSF

all of my dirty hairy's have been puppy dogs and i've heard the same from others. also i dont know when you start breaking but i find if you start working with calves when they are like 2-3 months old the are a little more mellow and easier to break.

oakie

DITTO a thousand times. My little "angels" have EXT in them. The harry calves have been so sweet to work with also.  One comment I would make about the cross is that he did not add the hind to the steer I had hoped for, but the calf was halter broken and clippable in two days when I did not have all the time in the world to work with him. You can see the cow photos at campbellclubcalves.blogspot.com and compare to your cows so you may have an idea of what the calves will look like. Good luck and I would really think hard about using him he made some nice calves.  Note on the side; this year we are crossing our angus cows to simmental bulls (longs shear pleasur, or a meyer son) and plan to breed the offspring to club bulls when they are of age. Good luck

Show Heifer

You haven't mentioned what you have bred her to in the past that have resulted in "insane" calves ... but I am guessing if she has had more than one "insane" calf, then its the cows problem (which I think you realize).  The calf is learning the behavior from the cow, and more than likely, it will not matter what you breed her to, unless you are willing to remove the calf from her early (as in 60-75 days).  That way, it will be small enough that you can control and hopefully, it will not have learned so much evil behavor from its Mother.
My Dr.Who's have been easy to work with, but then again, I have gentle cows.

I wish you luck... she must be one darn good cow to tolerate her behavior.

oakie

Show Heifer said:
You haven't mentioned what you have bred her to in the past that have resulted in "insane" calves ... but I am guessing if she has had more than one "insane" calf, then its the cows problem (which I think you realize).  The calf is learning the behavior from the cow, and more than likely, it will not matter what you breed her to, unless you are willing to remove the calf from her early (as in 60-75 days).  That way, it will be small enough that you can control and hopefully, it will not have learned so much evil behavor from its Mother.

Could you tell me next weeks lottery numbers? You seem to know everything.

racekannon

All of my Sunseekers are really gentle and have made excellent cows.  They are really nice uddered and easy doing.

Earthmover

If your really want to keep her flush and implant the eggs. If their still nuts send her to town. IMHO lol

shufly

NSF said:
all of my dirty hairy's have been puppy dogs and i've heard the same from others. also i dont know when you start breaking but i find if you start working with calves when they are like 2-3 months old the are a little more mellow and easier to break.

I have had the same experiences with my Dirty Hairy calves!

chambero

Show Heifer is right.  Get the calf away from that cow very young and it will make all the difference in the world.

Show Heifer

oakie said:
Show Heifer said:

What in the heck was wrong with what I said? I did nothing but support what steerpimp had already stated and I was just telling them that yes, they are correct, the cow has a lot to do with the attitude of the calf, not just the bull. Sorry if that is "wrong" but many a breeder will agree with me.... that the calf learns the behavior from the cow, and if she has had several "insane" calves then that would support my statement.
Sorry if I was offering some real world advice instead of trying to fix the problem with a solution that will not work.

oakie

Show Heifer said:
oakie said:
Show Heifer said:

What in the heck was wrong with what I said? I did nothing but support what steerpimp had already stated and I was just telling them that yes, they are correct, the cow has a lot to do with the attitude of the calf, not just the bull. Sorry if that is "wrong" but many a breeder will agree with me.... that the calf learns the behavior from the cow, and if she has had several "insane" calves then that would support my statement.
Sorry if I was offering some real world advice instead of trying to fix the problem with a solution that will not work.

You like to belittle people every chance you can get. I have read your posts and it is not a one-time thing, it is all the time. If you have real-world advise, give it and don't make a sarcastic ass out of yourself.  Sorry, just some "real world advice".

Show Heifer

Quote by oakie: You like to belittle people every chance you can get. I have read your posts and it is not a one-time thing, it is all the time. If you have real-world advise, give it and don't make a sarcastic ass out of yourself.  Sorry, just some "real world advice".

DO NOT CUSS OR USE PROFANITY ON THIS "YOUTH BOARD"... It makes you sound like the uneducated idiot you MIGHT be.  (Yes, just to be clear... I am belittling you.)

I still do not see any "belittling" in my original post. Whatever, its your hole, I will let you dig.

jaimiediamond

Show Heifer had some valid points about it possibly being a learned behavior.  There was nothing disrespectful in the original post by her on this topic.  I find it concerning that there was a need to publicly bash another user, if you have issue take it to Private messages otherwise a good topic gets ugly fast

oakie

Show Heifer said:
Quote by oakie: You like to belittle people every chance you can get. I have read your posts and it is not a one-time thing, it is all the time. If you have real-world advise, give it and don't make a sarcastic ass out of yourself.  Sorry, just some "real world advice".

DO NOT CUSS OR USE PROFANITY ON THIS "YOUTH BOARD"... It makes you sound like the uneducated idiot you MIGHT be.  (Yes, just to be clear... I am belittling you.)

I still do not see any "belittling" in my original post. Whatever, its your hole, I will let you dig.
An ass can be refered to as either you, or an animal. It can be either a swear word or in reference to a "stubborn ass". Aren't you a teacher? And don't start the "idiot" references. I have pulled up your previous posts and you are in fact no einstein. If you belive in keeping this "youth board" appropriate to all youths, then try helping them out with some positive reinforcement and not being so sarcastic and belittling. If you feel I am being rude to you, then pull up your last posts. It is the same thing on all of them. You are rude you have a way of sidestepping it. It is like me saying it's nice to see you have red cattle, they didn't work for us but I guess you are doing alright with them. That is a great compliment right there isn't it.

Bradenh

im not taking a side in this  but im sure the fellow who started this topic wanted info on a bull. not yalls pissing contest. can yall shup up and just message each other?

oakie

Show stopper 95 said:
im not taking a side in this  but im sure the fellow who started this topic wanted info on a bull. not yalls pissing contest. can yall shup up and just message each other?

I'm done, I made my point sorry about the disturbance.