COLLEGE FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Illinois is on a roll! They beat No. 19 Penn State today, and i believe that means we are 4-1.  Awesome (lol)

DLD

Wow! How 'bout dem Buff's taking out O(bnoxious)U??? And K State leading Texas... Interesting day for the Big 12, that's for sure.

DL

MSU lost to Wisconsin (both undefeated, but UW is on a long roll) because of 3 very very stupid (did I mention how stupid they were) penalties in the last 10 minutes or so - I hate stupid - sure takes the fun out of the game - I guess it is John L Smith back to haunt the Spartans - they looked pretty good for much of the game but I can't wait for hockey (NHL season starts next week - Go Sabres)

Show Heifer - sorry about your Hawkeyes....

Show Heifer

I am pretty sad....we lost to Indiana....that's kinda like losing to Illinios.....just kidding Illinios folks...I am glad to see Illinios has a football team this year. Maybe they traded basketball shoes for football cleats!!!
I have accepted the fact that this year might get kinda long for my beloved Hawks.....and maybe, just maybe, I will have no bowl game to schedule my life around, but live does go on.... :'(

Go Hawks!!!!! In Kirk I trust!!!!!!!!!!! (Ok, I am a die hard!!!) ;D

LinZ

WOOOOOHOOOOOO Speaking of Florida........ just watched them lose 20-17...WARRRRRRRR EAGLLLLLLLLLLLEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... Anyway...Super proud of Florida State and super proud of Auburn!

lol..... oh yea..thanks UGA for the game last weekend too!..

LiNZ

shortdawg

Man did the SEC and most all other big conferences get a shake up this weekend. Congrats TJ on the Wildcat win and the new ranking. That Nov. date may be big!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody will be getting into the meat of their schedules soon and who knows how it's going to end up ????? I'm still sticking with LSU for the SEC and Nat'l Titles.

TJ

LinZ said:
WOOOOOHOOOOOO Speaking of Florida........ just watched them lose 20-17...WARRRRRRRR EAGLLLLLLLLLLLEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... Anyway...Super proud of Florida State and super proud of Auburn!

lol..... oh yea..thanks UGA for the game last weekend too!..

LiNZ

I am super proud of Auburn too...    ;)...  WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    ;D   

TJ

shortdawg said:
Man did the SEC and most all other big conferences get a shake up this weekend. Congrats TJ on the Wildcat win and the new ranking. That Nov. date may be big!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody will be getting into the meat of their schedules soon and who knows how it's going to end up ????? I'm still sticking with LSU for the SEC and Nat'l Titles.

Thanks!  We are now ranked #8 in the NATION in both major polls & #7 in the fan poll! 

I am also starting to think that the UK/UGA game may be really big, but 1st, we have to take care of business & the next 3 weeks are going to HUGE!!  We will be playing the #11 team (Spurrier's Gamecocks) this Thursday, #1 ranked LSU next Saturday & the #9 Florida Gators (defending National Champs) the following Saturday.  Those 3 games are going to be absolutely brutal!!   My heart wants me to think that we could possibly go 3-0 during that stretch, but my head is telling me not to get to be getting my hopes up too much... still ANYTHING can happen on the football field.  BUT, LSU has an NFL quality defense & IF LSU beats Florida this weekend, Florida will be on a 2 game losing streak when we play them, so they will be very hungry for a win.  None of the 3 will be easy, that is for sure.  On a related note... I'm hearing that ESPN Gameday is seriously considering hosting it's show in Lexington the Saturday that we play Florida.   

Some notes after attending this weekends UK/Florida Atlantic game... 

It rocked!!  Andre Woodson had his best passing game of the year & he looked more like his normal self.  He completed 79% of his passes for 301 yards & 5 TD's.  FAU had a cornerback (Tavious Polo) that led the nation in interceptions coming in (6) & that kid is a legit NFL prospect, IMHO.   However, he will now be remembered for intercepting Andre Woodson & ending his NCAA record breaking streak at 325!!  BTW, I had never seen a QB get a standing O after throwing an interception, but all the UK fans gave Andre a well deserved standing O after he threw that interception.   That interception was the low point of my day, but I knew it would end sooner or later & 325 straight passes without an interception is an INSANE statistic!!  BTW, Woodson also had another streak of 152 straight without an interception, earlier in his career.  Woodson is the real deal.   

Despite our O having a big day, I was most impressed by how physical our defense played & how hard they hit.  They may give up some yards at times, but our D is downright vicious at times, as well.   Our 2nd half defense continues to be outstanding. 

We called off the dogs (actually Cats!!) early in the 3rd quarter & this one wasn't as close as the final 45-17 score might indicate.  Not only did Woodson throw for over 300 yards, he also completed passes to 9 different receivers!  Rafael Little rushed for over 100 yards & as a team, we rushed for over 200.  Also, our defense continued it's 2nd half dominance by holding them to only 80 something yards in the 2nd half & a lot of that, including a TD, was against our reserves. 

With all that said, I can see why Florida Atlantic was 3-1 with a win over Minnesota... they've got some good athletes & they have a playbook filled with trick plays.  With their QB getting pressured in the endzone, they perfectly executed a "hook & ladder" play!  This happened right after their QB was almost sacked for a safety on the precious play.  The hook & ladder play almost went for a TD... it was a nice call.  They also tried a few other trick plays & they made several tough catches when we had them covered extremely well.  Defensively, they were fast, quick & aggressive.  Hats off to them. 

Everybody is talking about our passing attack, but few people realize that after 5 games, we are currently #2 in the SEC in rushing, averaging a whopping 223 yards per game & 5.8 yards per carry.  FAU had 8 players in the box most of the game trying to slow down our running attack, but we still ran the ball 40 times for 200+ yards!!  That is not bad, IMHO!!  The reason that we are averaging 47 points per game is because we are very balanced on offense... we pass & run equally well.   

My hat is off to...

Shortdawgs Dawgs... a 45-17 win against a team that played Florida to within 3 points last week is impressive!!

Gary Bob's Razorbacks... Don't count out McFadden & Felix Jones!!  The stomped N. Texas & scored 66 points.  They are the real deal despite 2 losses & they will make some noise in the SEC West. 

ShortyJock's Illini...  Zook has got it going on... I think he's going to turn them into a nice football program. They are on the rise & they could make some serious noise in a down year for the Big 10 & challenge for the conference crown.  Even Indiana is playing some pretty decent football this year & the Illini beat them. 

SKF's South Florida Bulls... I knew they were good & one of the best teams in the Big East, but they are even more dangerous than I thought.  Don't look now, but Cincinnatti & South Florida just might be the 2 best teams in the Big East!!

Red's Buckeye's... a team that I dislike, but they are undefeated & ranked in the top 5 during a "rebuilding year". 

And of course, LiNZ's Auburn Tiger's... Can I say "War Eagle"?  I sure can this week!!  Thanks for beating those Gators!!   

Don't know if we have any Colorado or KSU fan's, but if we do, congrats for beating the Sooner's & the Longhorns!! 

shortdawg

Gary Bob, I was passing through Little Rock on the way to OK last Wed. and tuned in on the Razorback talk show. I tried to call in and talk a little SEC football with them but could never get through. I think McFadden is one of the best ever.

red

Go Scarlet & Gray! I'm really pleased w/ the Bucks this year. Was expecting a lot less on such a young team. Just worried about injuries.
Boy, was it a shake-up week! Never saw so many top teams take a tumble. Could this be the year for a one loss team?

Red

AAOK

My team, the East Central University Tigers are off to a 1W - 4L start under 2nd year coach Kurt Nichols.  We won 2 games last year, and even had a winning season 5 years, and 3 head coaches ago.  We actually won the National Championship in 1993.  The school was in the NAIA and that time, and has since advanced to NCAA Div. ll.  This was NOT a smart move for any of the athletic programs. 

The current coach is bound and determined to turn the team around with an explosive Passing attach.  I will admit, we have quite a gifted quarterback, Marcus Johnson.  The last two games he a thrown for 386 yds. and 397 yds. respectively.  The running game in averaging a paltry 49.7 yards per game.  The defense averages giving up 44 points per game.  Eastern New Mexico (Div. l) piled up over 600 yds. total offense against the Tiger defense.

Oh well, the Girl's Soccer Team is not too bad (looking)!

O State and Texas A&M are playing this week for sole possession lead of the Big 12 South? 

Joe Boy

I heard today that they were going to cancel the Texas - OU shoot out.  Both teams failed to play last week and are in the dark as to which one will show up this week...... no, just kidding.  Which ever one looses will find it hard to get a good bowl bid, but might could play Michigan and Notre Dame could be the chain gang for the game.  That way all of them would have one bowl game to write home about.... tongue in cheek....

TJ

shortdawg said:
Gary Bob, I was passing through Little Rock on the way to OK last Wed. and tuned in on the Razorback talk show. I tried to call in and talk a little SEC football with them but could never get through. I think McFadden is one of the best ever.

Yes, he is one of the best ever.  FWIW, KY's head coach, Rich Brooks, likened him to a cross between OJ Simpson with his speed, shiftiness, & elusiveness (no, not like OJ eludes the police ;) ) & Eric Dickerson with his smash-mouth power & ability to break tackles.  I think that is a tremendous compliment & Rich Brooks is as straight a shooter as there is!! 

Arkansas is going to put a "whoopin" on several teams this year.  The SHOULD have beaten Alabama & they COULD have beaten my Wildcats... they are vastly underrated, IMHO!!   

TJ

red said:
Could this be the year for a one loss team?

Yes, it could be a year for a 1 loss team.  Even the USC Trojans narrowly escaped with a victory & LSU struggled for 1 half against Tulane.     

TJ

AAOK said:
My team, the East Central University Tigers are off to a 1W - 4L start under 2nd year coach Kurt Nichols.  We won 2 games last year, and even had a winning season 5 years, and 3 head coaches ago.  We actually won the National Championship in 1993.  The school was in the NAIA and that time, and has since advanced to NCAA Div. ll.  This was NOT a smart move for any of the athletic programs. 

The current coach is bound and determined to turn the team around with an explosive Passing attach.  I will admit, we have quite a gifted quarterback, Marcus Johnson.  The last two games he a thrown for 386 yds. and 397 yds. respectively.  The running game in averaging a paltry 49.7 yards per game.  The defense averages giving up 44 points per game.  Eastern New Mexico (Div. l) piled up over 600 yds. total offense against the Tiger defense.

Oh well, the Girl's Soccer Team is not too bad (looking)!

O State and Texas A&M are playing this week for sole possession lead of the Big 12 South? 

I feel your pain.  UK finished 7-5 back in 2002, but they couldn't go to a bowl that year because of probabtion.  However, right after that, the effects of probation & scholarship reductions really started to hit us & over the next 3 years we finished... 4-8, 2-9 & 3-8...  before finishing 8-5 last year with a bowl win over Clemson.  It has been a long & crazy ride, but it has been fun watching this SR class grow up knowing that they had a legit shot at contending for the SEC East championship as SR's.  However, even if we don't win the SEC East & even if we only finish with 7 or 8 or 9 wins, I will still be very proud of this bunch of Wildcats & I still would not trade them for any other team in the USA!!  I guess what I am trying to say is that it may look like gloom & doom right now, but there is hope! 

aj

I hope the kansas state wildcats beat ku saturday. My two favorite teams are ksu and whoever is playing ku!

TJ

If anybody is interested, UK plays South Carolina tomorrow night (Thursday) on ESPN.  It should be a good one. 

We've been really banged up the last few weeks, but I think that we are actually pretty healthy for this one, which is a really good thing.  Our 3rd string RB, who is an excellent special teams player is out for sure.  Our 2nd string RB (Tony Dixon) & our starting SLB (Johnny Williams) are both questionable... if they can't play, that is not good for UK's chances.  Several other UK players sat out some practices this week, so hopefully most everyone else will be healed up & close to 100%.  South Carolina is pretty banged up at some positions too, from what I understand.   

Some interesting matchups to watch...

*South Carolina has the #1 pass D in the nation  -  UK has a solid passing attack, led by QB who is now considered a front runner Heisman candidate by just about everybody.  That match up will be interesting!!

*South Carolina ranks near the bottom of the SEC in rush defense -  UK is 2nd in the SEC in rushing @ 223 yards per game.  Hopefully, UK will have some healthy RB's to take advantage of this. 

*South Carolina has a decent offense - UK has a decent defense.  SC can pass, but is better running the ball.  UK has given up big yards in the 1st half of several games, but has really turned it up in the 2nd half... interesting to see who wins this matchup.   

South Carolina has the homefield advantage.  They are also 4-1 with a quality win over a top 20 UGA team & SC's  only loss was to #1 ranked LSU.  They are certainly good enough to beat UK on a given night,  especially if UK suffers injuries or plays sloppy.  However, if UK can get the running game going against South Carolina's defense (a unit which has struggled to stop the run all year) & if UK's defense plays another hard hitting, physical game, I like UK's chances to win this one.  Pre-season, I picked UK to win this game.  Now, I like UK's chances a little better, but South Carolina is a real good team & might suprise me.  Guess we will find out tomorrow night & I'll admit that anything can happen.   

1 more thing...  I just added up his stats today.... In his college career as a QB for UK, Andre Woodson has passed for 55 TD's & ONLY 13 interceptions.  And he's put up those #'s playing for UK & up until this year, he was probably sacked more than QB in the SEC.  I don't care if you the like kid or not, you have to admit that those #'s are absolutely SICK!!   

GO BIG BLUE!!