Compton brought a Chute Full to the Cattle Congress

Help Support Steer Planet:

mark tenenbaum

Same deal here Grass and hay is it. No Creep The latest picture with her by the fence is about a week ago But the picture with the 2nd calf is a couple months ago and shes really no bigger than a heifer competing with BIG maine and Charolais type cows

Last edited:

beebe

Same deal here Grass and hay is it. No Creep The latest picture with her by the fence is about a week ago But the picture with the 2nd calf is a couple months ago and shes really no bigger than a heifer competing with BIG maine and Charolais type cows
That is one of the reasons I like cows that are a little smaller, they stay in good shape better.

mark tenenbaum

Mine have to run with big cows just the way it is. But the little roan is a very gentle quiet one- Believe it or not a BIG (1800 pounds probably) BAD ASS black maine simm cross cow befriended her and sort of protects her which touched my heart

beebe

We graze a lot of cover crops and bale graze also so competition isn't a probem.

mark tenenbaum

Never had a Simmental so I will take your word on that. Its like anything else some are really nice and some are really mean. We had one show heifer and steer that were much larger than the two smaller shorthorns in with them. The Simm heifer was the biggest friendly pet in the world But constantly beat up the little heifer where she just didnt get enough to eat.Finally got her out of there and she did fine and got pretty big herself. Ive noticed that some Simms can get very mean "all of a sudden" when they get stirred up.

beebe

That is why I like Shorthorns, they are a little more laid back. I do have a couple of rude ones but the cows have many acres and a lot of feed to work with, so it works out.

mark tenenbaum

That is why I like Shorthorns, they are a little more laid back. I do have a couple of rude ones but the cows have many acres and a lot of feed to work with, so it works out.
I dont know where you are located but there are two herds I really like for overall useful cattle in Montana that would be a good source to look for a bull if you ever wanted an outcross CE deal Cattle that would fit the type cattle you have. Ralph Larson of Y lazy Y I think) And promised Land Cattle. A herd that has been almost a secret for years yet has had a major influence on a number of breeders is in Missouri. That would be the Naylors- JMO some of the better functional documented cattle in the US . Aegerter is handing their sale soon. I've seen really good commercially oriented CE thick, moderate beef animals from them for thirty years. You might want to check out the sale for reference.

Last edited:

mark tenenbaum

Naylors are also highly regarded in the Angus Breed heres some pics of both Their heifer bulls fall right in line with yours

Attachments

• IMG_5150.jpg
    IMG_5150.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5149.jpg
    IMG_5149.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5153.jpg naylor 3.jpg
    IMG_5153.jpg naylor 3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5154.jpg
    IMG_5154.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5152.jpg
    IMG_5152.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5151.jpg naylor angus.jpg
    IMG_5151.jpg naylor angus.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5082.jpg
    IMG_5082.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5148 (1).jpg
    IMG_5148 (1).jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

beebe

For what it is worth I bought a LUING bull awhile back. his oldest calves are about two and are getting close to ready. When we sample the meat I will have an idea if they fit. So far I like them, I think the females will make good cows. They have a little extra hair which is good in north central South Dakota.

mark tenenbaum

Saw some threads about Luing cattle in general and thought that they were a really good mix for functional working commercial cattle Thats Bulls Cows ans steers They are not terminal JMO Do you have any pictures of calves or the bull?

mark tenenbaum

You can tell from the pictures of those bulls that those maternal looking cows have that genetic edge to produce those thick stout bulls, Most interesting thing to me was the comments on how "plain" thier foundation cow was. DID YOU LOOK AT THAT PICTURE? A lot of her makeup from the side is what everybody is chasing or trying to create through feed (for the ring ) today. SHE WAS A MEATWAGON I thought she was the best female of all the info I went through including other sites.

beebe

You can tell from the pictures of those bulls that those maternal looking cows have that genetic edge to produce those thick stout bulls, Most interesting thing to me was the comments on how "plain" thier foundation cow was. DID YOU LOOK AT THAT PICTURE? A lot of her makeup from the side is what everybody is chasing or trying to create through feed (for the ring ) today. SHE WAS A MEATWAGON I thought she was the best female of all the info I went through including other sites.
Yes they are good cattle and I think the meat will be good.

mark tenenbaum

Yes they are good cattle and I think the meat will be good.
You know it will. The Shorthorn -Highlander cross has been big time for the highest grading beef in the British (AND OTHER) Isles since the cattle have existed there. 200 years more or less. Same with the Blues from the Gallowayx Whitebred Shorthorns. A luing aI would have to be a hiefer bull with a useful live calf Showring or not . I am assuming Luings are more or less 50% Shorthorn genetically