Congratulations to the Agribition winners 2011

Help Support Steer Planet:

sue

trevorgreycattleco said:
uluru said:
Peggy comes from a good sire
Semen is available

And the sire? Sounds like quiet a calf. Any pics of her?
TGC- the sire is Uluru Buster and he is very good. I saw this daughter in person last fall as a calf and loved her - she did alot of winning this past summer. 

uluru

His Dam is Uluru Choice25X, a Ruffian daughter that I sold to Dillan
That bull looks real good.
Reports are real positive on him.

scotland

justintime you mention the championship drive, thought that Peggy , Wynonna from Hilltop and the winning 3yr cow from Hubers would have been awesome representives of what Shorthorn females need to look like. Volume, shape and muslce with substanial  market product at foot (2 of them) and bull mother writtin all over these 3 for me....great show of Shorthorns... end to end good

justintime

scotland said:
justintime you mention the championship drive, thought that Peggy , Wynonna from Hilltop and the winning 3yr cow from Hubers would have been awesome representives of what Shorthorn females need to look like. Volume, shape and muslce with substanial  market product at foot (2 of them) and bull mother writtin all over these 3 for me....great show of Shorthorns... end to end good

I agree Scotland . All in all the quality ran deep in the show. I just thought that a few of the good ones made it to the Championship drive, but not all of them!

vanridge

justintime said:
Thanks Jaimie for posting the pics of the Agribition Champs. It was a great show in every respect. Interest in Shorthorn bulls was excellent. I had 6 inquiries for white Shorthorn bulls  from guys wanting to use them on black cows.  All breeds had great shows and sales. There were some super cattle of all breeds out for the Beef Supreme last night. The atmosphere at Agribition is always good but this year it was great. I came home very tired..... but it was a very good tired!  Now to start planning for next year!

Interesting that you say that, we sold 13 steers yesterday and 2 of them were blue roans. The one had short ears due to cold weather and the other was an okay steer. They opened the gate to let them in the ring and the buyers piped up "here come the blues!" and they sold very well. It surprised me a bit because the buyers are getting fussier and anything with short ears etc. has been getting docked in price. One of the reasons we like to breed shorthorn times black angus is for those nice blues and we are really pleased with the crosses we do have on the ground. They seem to do quite well.

justintime

vanridge said:
justintime said:
Thanks Jaimie for posting the pics of the Agribition Champs. It was a great show in every respect. Interest in Shorthorn bulls was excellent. I had 6 inquiries for white Shorthorn bulls  from guys wanting to use them on black cows.  All breeds had great shows and sales. There were some super cattle of all breeds out for the Beef Supreme last night. The atmosphere at Agribition is always good but this year it was great. I came home very tired..... but it was a very good tired!  Now to start planning for next year!

Interesting that you say that, we sold 13 steers yesterday and 2 of them were blue roans. The one had short ears due to cold weather and the other was an okay steer. They opened the gate to let them in the ring and the buyers piped up "here come the blues!" and they sold very well. It surprised me a bit because the buyers are getting fussier and anything with short ears etc. has been getting docked in price. One of the reasons we like to breed shorthorn times black angus is for those nice blues and we are really pleased with the crosses we do have on the ground. They seem to do quite well.

In my fondest dreams I never thought we would ever see the day when white and roans were as popular as they are here in Canada. Too bad all the folks in the US have to put up with blatent color discrimination in the market place. I think part of the reason we see the popularity of the roan color is because our grading system is based on marbling, and Shorthorns consistently marble better than many other breeds, so the buyers know the roan colored calves should feed and grade well. I have only sold a few calves this fall and half of them were roans and half were black. The quality was similar in both color groups and they were all in the 525-600 lb range. The roans averaged $1.5825 and the blacks averaged $1.4875 per pound so there was basically a $.10 / lb prmium for the roans. It used to be the other way around!

jaimiediamond

coyote said:
Boy there were sure some good cattle there. One bull that I really liked was ROCKING L MAGNUM 1X . He is fairly thick and has some depth and a good crest.
Maybe jaimiediamond can put up his picture, although it is not the best picture of him. His picture # is 1GRP1134_SM on this site
http://grantspix.smugmug.com/2011-Livestock-Shows/Canadian-Wester/20269954_NzT6bD#1602497143_7nhkHPK .

I don't think this photo does this bull any justice.  Watching him online I really was impressed :) but I think that generalizes the whole show for me, I was truly impressed with the cattle I saw!
        ALTA CEDAR ROAN LAD 80L X-[CAN]M469138- 
    ALTA CEDAR LAD'S LEGACY 13P X-[CAN]M471172-   
        MURIDALE WINDOW 63 12J X-[CAN]F672961- 
  BAEHR ACRES MAGNUM 30S X-[CAN]M471899-     
        ALTA CEDAR OAK'S SIGNATURE 1J X-[CAN]M467886- 
      BAEHR ACRES 1J MAXIMA 12N X-[CAN]F678961-   
        BAEHR'S MATTIE 38D X-F665181- 
ROCKING L MAGNUM 1X       
        BYLAND GOLD SPEAR X-[CAN]M468851- 
      RED ROSE GOLD SPEAR RUFFIAN X-[CAN]M470834-   
        RED ROSE GUS ROAN LADY 6J X-[CAN]F672783- 
  ULURU CHOICE 25U X-[CAN]F684992-     
        TONQUISH SPEEDBOAT X-*2841- 
    RENOSA CHOICE 5K X-[CAN]*9254-   
      RENOSA CHOICE 17T X-F644732- 

Attachments

• ROCKING L MAGNUM 1X.JPG
    ROCKING L MAGNUM 1X.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 221

mechanic

Thanks for the comments on Peggy. I don't have a picture yet from Agribition but here is a shot from the Junior Heifer show in Toronto 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• Peggy2011 (800x571).jpg
    Peggy2011 (800x571).jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 298

HelenH

TXF PEGGY?!  Don't forget, I found her first, Feb. 1/10 in my barn. All dried off by momma Peggy, with hair straight up!  Ready to show. Cool from day one.  It is wonderful to read the comments of the real judges, the breeders.  Thank you .    Proves the show isn't over when the curtain falls.  Incase you don't know, I'm holding Buster in Uluru's stamp. 

sue

HelenH said:
TXF PEGGY?!   Don't forget, I found her first, Feb. 1/10 in my barn. All dried off by momma Peggy, with hair straight up!  Ready to show. Cool from day one.   It is wonderful to read the comments of the real judges, the breeders.  Thank you .    Proves the show isn't over when the curtain falls.  Incase you don't know, I'm holding Buster in Uluru's stamp.   

Helen - you are so right. congrats to people's choice  ;) 

sue

coyote said:
Boy there were sure some good cattle there. One bull that I really liked was ROCKING L MAGNUM 1X . He is fairly thick and has some depth and a good crest.
Maybe jaimiediamond can put up his picture, although it is not the best picture of him. His picture # is 1GRP1134_SM on this site
http://grantspix.smugmug.com/2011-Livestock-Shows/Canadian-Wester/20269954_NzT6bD#1602497143_7nhkHPK .
really nice bull . You breeders beating the bushes for  "outcross" better grab this one.  This young man might need some college money.

Shady Lane

A few more highlights from our string at CWA.

This is Shady Lane Melba Niam 3Y, sired by HC Timeline 17T.

3Y is a full sister to Shady Lane Rockstar 9X, Canadian Western Agribition Grand Champion Bull, she is also a full sister to Shady Lane Melba Niam 5W that has been pictured here before.

Rockstar 9X and Melba Niam 3Y were also champion progeny of dam at Agribition.

I think these might  be the best 3 full sibs I have ever owned???

Attachments

• Melba Niam 5W.JPG
    Melba Niam 5W.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 264
  • Melba Niam 3Y.JPG
    Melba Niam 3Y.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 321

Shady Lane

This is DFJ Shady Lane Melba Niam 30Y, class winner at CWA.

Sired by HC Timeline 17T.

Attachments

• Melba Niam 30Y.JPG
    Melba Niam 30Y.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 290

Shady Lane

This is Shady Lane Timeless Lady 7X,

Another class winner at CWA.

Also sired by HC Timeline 17T.

This is also the heifer in my Avatar picture.

Rockstar 9X, Timeless Lady 7X and Melba Niam 30Y were also the Champion Senior Get of Sire all sired by HC Timeline 17T.

Attachments

• Timeless Lady.JPG
    Timeless Lady.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 285

kfacres

I'm going to as this-- only b/c I know it's coming... not that I could care any more than how many tits my dog has....

but just b/c... how many straws of Timeline were you alloted? 

Shady Lane

Cut the BS said:
I'm going to as this-- only b/c I know it's coming... not that I could care any more than how many tits my dog has....

but just b/c... how many straws of Timeline were you alloted? 

Not sure what you're getting at?

I think I got 20 or 25 doses of the Timeline semen we collected?

What difference does it make?

frostback

Well with AJ banned, someone has to take over the job of stirring the pot, and someone gave BS a spoon.