Crooked Rear Feet

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bulldaddy

We had a heifer calf out of a popular club calf sire and a Char X cow born last week.  It was born with slightly crooked or curved rear feet.  Everything else about the calf appears normal.  Does anyone on SP have any experience with this condition?  I also wonder if the feet will straighten up on their own or if splinting them may help?  This calf appears to  be a TH carrier--chunky, good hair, lots of bone.

Attachments

• Heifercurvedfeet_2.JPG
    Heifercurvedfeet_2.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 508

obie105

We had one born a few years ago with a crooked hind leg our old farmer neighbor said that it was from laying funny or it ran out of room while growing. He said wait six months and it would be fine and he was right. She went on to have a lobg life in the cow herd.

DL

Possum Trot Ranch said:
We had a heifer calf out of a popular club calf sire and a Char X cow born last week.  It was born with slightly crooked or curved rear feet.  Everything else about the calf appears normal.  Does anyone on SP have any experience with this condition?  I also wonder if the feet will straighten up on their own or if splinting them may help?  This calf appears to  be a TH carrier--chunky, good hair, lots of bone.

Is the sire a Shorthorn - if so PM me :)

wyatt

DL said:
Possum Trot Ranch said:

Is the sire a Shorthorn - if so PM me :)
i would almost bet its walks alone heat wave or another heat wave son..

CAB

From the looks of that one, I don't think that it will come out of it. I had one that looked similar to your's 2 years ago only a little bit worse. She was salebarn material. Slow growing also. Struggled some getting around. Mine was a Warrant X Bold Statement.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

I think some folks will be disappointed to find out this calf is not a JPJ.  (lol)

Haters Gonna Hate

knabe

OLD WORLD SHORTIE said:
I think some folks will be disappointed to find out this calf is not a JPJ.   (lol)

Haters Gonna Hate

no hate involved.  we need more calves from a wide variety of pedigrees to isolate the causal snp, deletion, insertion, whatever. if there was another sire other than jpj that threw it, it would be even better.

Bulldaddy

The sire is not a shorthorn.  He is a heatwave son but not walks alone.  I didn't want to trash the bull based upon one calf.  That is why I didn't name him. 

ruhtram

Possum Trot Ranch said:
The sire is not a shorthorn.  He is a heatwave son but not walks alone.  I didn't want to trash the bull based upon one calf.  That is why I didn't name him. 

That's probably a smart move. If i were the owner I wouldn't want one calf to spoil all of the achievements.

knabe

"one" calf was how PHA, TH, all the angus defects "started".  we have to keep these defects hidden because it's in the best interest of the cattle industry.

Bulldaddy

Well, is it a genetic defect or maybe just something else going on? That's the reason for the post. If it is indeed a genetic defect then, of course, I would name the sire.   

knabe

Have the calf x-rated. You never know if you could save a lot of people grief. No need to name sure at this point.

ruhtram

knabe said:
"one" calf was how PHA, TH, all the angus defects "started".  we have to keep these defects hidden because it's in the best interest of the cattle industry.

True, good point,never thought of it that way.

DL

Possum Trot Ranch said:
The sire is not a shorthorn.  He is a heatwave son but not walks alone.  I didn't want to trash the bull based upon one calf.  That is why I didn't name him.  

The dam of Heat Waves sire (Heat Seeker) is a Shorthorn cow - it would be good to get a rear picture - close up of the lower part of the legs - do the dew claws look misaligned to you??

Look at the pictures on this thread and see if they are similar to your calf
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=35313.0

If you think the calf has DS I would suggest you obtain samples from the calf and cow and send them along with pedigree and pictures to Dr B - the genetic basis of this defect has not yet been identified and any samples would help

If everybody with dead bloated PHA or dead twisted TH calves had thought "maybe genetic" instead of dumping them in the dead pile those mutations would have been identified much earlier meaning the tests would have been available much earlier

PS - there are picture on p 14 and 22 of the thread as well as page 1 - also read the description of the disorder  

wyatt

Possum Trot Ranch said:
how many cripples have people got out of heatwave? How many times has he been trashed... We still use him today .. :-\

CAB

Possum Trot Ranch said:

Everyone to their own on this deal, but the reason I did name the genetics involved in my situation was to perhaps save PPL the grief and troubles that may or may not be an isolated incidence. I myself think that the calves that we are looking at & the one that I had have some tendon issues possibly caused by how they were carried in the uterus. I do wish though that PPL would let us know more about the pedigrees of calves both the great ones & the bad ones so that we can breed better cattle and avoid the poorer genetic lines when possible.

knabe

Personally if conformational suboptimalities can be found due to a defect rather than minor non-defect abnormalities, I would be much happier about that if I had a high dollar bull.

If its a defect, it's manageable by a test and if it's not it's manageable only by nothing.

Bulldaddy

DL said:
Possum Trot Ranch said:
The sire is not a shorthorn.  He is a heatwave son but not walks alone.  I didn't want to trash the bull based upon one calf.  That is why I didn't name him.  

The dam of Heat Waves sire (Heat Seeker) is a Shorthorn cow - it would be good to get a rear picture - close up of the lower part of the legs - do the dew claws look misaligned to you??

Look at the pictures on this thread and see if they are similar to your calf
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=35313.0

If you think the calf has DS I would suggest you obtain samples from the calf and cow and send them along with pedigree and pictures to Dr B - the genetic basis of this defect has not yet been identified and any samples would help

If everybody with dead bloated PHA or dead twisted TH calves had thought "maybe genetic" instead of dumping them in the dead pile those mutations would have been identified much earlier meaning the tests would have been available much earlier

PS - there are picture on p 14 and 22 of the thread as well as page 1 - also read the description of the disorder  

Here is a rear shot of the legs.  The feet are the onlly part of the animal that is affected at this time.  She is alive and well and gets around fine--no mobility issues.

I looked at the photos from the other post and those examples are way worse that this calf.

I will pull some hair on the calf.  She is an ET and the donor dam was hit by lightning in July so there is no way to get any DNA.  Dam's pedigree is HooDoo Crook X Strictly Business X Nuf Said.

Attachments

• Heifercurvedfeet_1.JPG
    Heifercurvedfeet_1.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 470

DL

Possum Trot Ranch said:
Here is a rear shot of the legs.  The feet are the onlly part of the animal that is affected at this time.  She is alive and well and gets around fine--no mobility issues.

I looked at the photos from the other post and those examples are way worse that this calf.

I will pull some hair on the calf.  She is an ET and the donor dam was hit by lightning in July so there is no way to get any DNA.  Dam's pedigree is HooDoo Crook X Strictly Business X Nuf Said.

PTR - rear view - suspicious of DS - a condition with variable presentation but affects only the lower rear leg - ear notch or purple top tube would be better than hair if you can do it - thanks