Football

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

If all the Texans are going to get snooty.......just kidding......KSU........played 4 Texas schools and beat 4 last year......can that be right?

pjkjr4

Davis Shorthorns said:
FSU and Clemson to the Big 12... Talk amongst yourselves... (clapping)

I was content with the 10 teams we have, but when I heard about Florida State and Clemson joining.....all I could think was.....WOW!!! Football definately writes the checks in the Big 12, and those 2 would certainly help.

It got me to thinking after I heard that.....who would be next.....Virginia Tech?? Maybe Louisville? Cinncinatti? Pitt? Maybe we will go to super-conferences. If it does, Florida State and Clemson would certainly help the Big 12 drag a few more teams from that area of the U.S.

OKshorthorn

From a pretty good source regarding Big 12 smoke...

Soon after the ACC schools received their new ESPN contract - which averaged $17 million per school, per year over 15 years - the news leaked of a Big 12 contract for the top two tiers in the range of $20 million apiece. That meant two tiers of the Big 12 was valued at $3 million more than all three tiers of ACC programming.

At that time, at least 10 universities started a market research study on the value of their tier three rights, which remain in possession by Big 12 schools after equally distributing the top two tiers.

Louisville, Pitt, Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, and BYU all received their studies and went to media outlets to gauge the monetary value.

Notre Dame would receive the largest amount, followed by Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech. The others were all told that their rights were valued in the $4 million range.

Last Thursday, intermediaries from several schools reached out to decision makers to start conversations about possibly moving to the Big 12.

On Saturday, the Chairman of Florida State's Board of Trustees blasted the ACC contract - especially in terms of the institutions where football was more of a focus than basetball.

Another detail that came to light was that the new ACC contract was backloaded - with members not receiving the $17 million until 2021. The Big 12 deal had a greater rate of acceleration, with schools receiving the $20 million by 2015 - when the rumored ESPN contract would go into effect.

As of today, the ESPN Big 12 contract has not been signed. Escalator clauses in the contract for getting back to 12 teams will raise the contract northward of $25 million per team. The media contracts for the Big 12 will reopen for negotiation if the league expands past 12 teams.

At this time, the Big 12 powers are happy with the thought of 12 teams and a new conference championship game. However, a few of the league's major players would like the contract to reopen for possibly more money by going to 14 teams.

With 14 teams, expected payouts would be approximately $28 million per school, with another $2 million or so per team coming from a conference championship game. And remember, the schools also have their tier 3 rights - unlike the ACC.

Florida State and Clemson coaches have been told a possible move to the Big 12 was under way, and to be ready for this on the road recruiting.

Secondly, our sources also state a Big 12 Tier 3 Network for the schools without the pull of a Texas or OU could form and would likely mean an additional $4 million to $6 million for those institutions. This would ensure constant programming for either Fox Sports or ESPN to show in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and other conference markets. Adding two ACC schools would further the reach of this network.

Originally Texas and OU were wanting to remain at 10 schools in the conference, but they began to consider expansion when the tier 3 studies were done by the other schools. The ability of the Big 12 to attract national brands such as Florida State and Clemson raised the bar a bit for a conference long-since stabilized by a 13-year grant of rights by its members.

The next obstacle is finding the right teams to add - and how many. There are several suitors for the additional two or four seats. The issue remains which schools could increase the current contract to the maximum projected $28 million.

Our sources have told us decisions could be made by May 30, when the Big 12 has its annual membership meeting.

All situations can change. However, according to people we trust, if Clemson and Florida State inform the ACC of their decision to leave - and the schools complete the application process for Big 12 membership - then discussions could take place at the May meeting.

It is unclear if the power brokers in the conference would rubber-stamp the applications, or if a school like Texas or Oklahoma would balk at FSU and Clemson being the first two added to the conference ranks.

OKshorthorn

If the A&M guys are going to start talking about combined national championships in all sports, from the information I am looking at, A&M would be tied for 5th in the old Big 12 with 12 national championships. Both TCU (22) and WVU (19) have more national championships. I think I have to put in there that my Pokes lead the pack with 50.

JSchroeder

You saw the part where I said four years right?  The Pokes are still a very respectable 2nd in the Big XII over that timespan with 2 national tiles.

OKshorthorn

Yeah, I guess i'm still a little bitter about my one time in College Station. Easily the worst college football experience of my life, and I've been to Bedlam in Norman, and Bryant Denny Stadium wearing Orange.

WJ Farms

Well A&M is gonna get murdered this year in the SEC they had hard enough time holding their own in the BIG 12 and now they go to a conference that is head and shoulders above the Big 12 and yall expect them to "hold their own?" False wont ever happen!!! They will be lucky to get a win in conference play this year!!!!! LOL Good Luck Fighting Aggies ROFLMAO

DCC show cattle

Hey Jeff how many of the aggie haters do you think have degrees? Lol and when the loss of a football team depicts my education I really care until then I guess I'll be fine with mediocre seasons and you say we couldn't hang in the big 12 then why not go to the most competitive and strong conference. At least we aren't baylor paying twice the tuition for half the education!  (lol)

OKshorthorn

DCC show cattle said:
Hey Jeff how many of the aggie haters do you think have degrees? Lol and when the loss of a football team depicts my education I really care until then I guess I'll be fine with mediocre seasons and you say we couldn't hang in the big 12 then why not go to the most competitive and strong conference. At least we aren't baylor paying twice the tuition for half the education!  (lol)

Wow...The irony of this is just too much. Insinuating that we do not have degrees and have obviously poor educations because we appear to you as "aggie haters" then, you say something like this "Lol and when the loss of a football team depicts my education I really care until then I guess I'll be fine with mediocre seasons and you say we couldn't hang in the big 12 then why not go to the most competitive and strong conference." Really? What does that even mean? I am honestly at a loss, I really don't understand what you are attempting to say, and I did really well in English Composition, but that was at a lowly land grant universtsity in Stillwater, OK.

JSchroeder

Just to be clear, I don’t like that degree ‘smack’.

This may or may not apply to you but here’s the thing on what you said about going to College Station... 

While I was in school I heard that said about Austin, Waco, Lubbock, both Oklahoma schools, and Manhattan of all places.  I ALSO heard the exact opposite about just about all of those schools.  It also was said by fans of different schools about each of them as well.  For a while I just thought it was different opinions of the schools and they just ran into the wrong crowd.

However, after a while I realized that for the most part it wasn’t the location that made the difference in how people were treated, it was the people themselves.  The guys that went on road trips acting like arrogant jerks always had a bad time and talked about how bad the fans were.  The personable ones that get along with everyone seemed to love every trip they went on. 

It's not so much that I don't buy it when you say it, it's that I just don't buy that stuff when ANYBODY says it about a road trip any more.

chambero

When someone talks about their school beating the Texas schools, more often than not its done with Texas kids who couldn't meet the admission standards of the Texas schools.  Sorry, but I couldn't resist. ;)

Comparing each others schools by their football programs is plain silly.  None of us would let most of those kids from any of the schools in our front doors, let alone wanting your daughters to marry one of them.  On a random note, one of the biggest horses-hineys I've ever known was Jay Novacek of Dallas Cowboy fame. You just can't hardly have your head wired correctly (something to do with ability to ignore pain and run through walls) and be that good of a football player.

On an even more random note, the best sporting event I've ever attended (and this is from someone that loves football) was the National Swimming Championships at the University of Indiana a couple of summers ago.  It was actually an Olympian-level event (Michael Phelps swam at it), but the Texas A&M girls won the whatever relay that night.  Those athletes put football players to shame.

For those mad/jealous/whatever at A&M for bolting to the SEC, it obviously had to to do with a lot more than football  or the SEC wouldn't have taken them.  Be careful kicking the wounded dog that A&M football has been for a while, there's too much money associated with that program, too much "want to" on the part of the school and the alumni, and too many really good football players in TX that can now play in the SEC without having to go out of state.  They'll figure it out sooner than later.

And I'm not even an aggie.

OKshorthorn

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Just to be clear, I don’t like that degree ‘smack’.

This may or may not apply to you but here’s the thing on what you said about going to College Station...  

While I was in school I heard that said about Austin, Waco, Lubbock, both Oklahoma schools, and Manhattan of all places.  I ALSO heard the exact opposite about just about all of those schools.  It also was said by fans of different schools about each of them as well.  For a while I just thought it was different opinions of the schools and they just ran into the wrong crowd.

However, after a while I realized that for the most part it wasn’t the location that made the difference in how people were treated, it was the people themselves.  The guys that went on road trips acting like arrogant jerks always had a bad time and talked about how bad the fans were.  The personable ones that get along with everyone seemed to love every trip they went on.  

It's not so much that I don't buy it when you say it, it's that I just don't buy that stuff when ANYBODY says it about a road trip any more.

I completely get where you are coming from. The reason I mentioned the Bedlam game in Norman and Bryant Denny Stadium was to make the point that I have never been a mouthy person, don't get to high or too low in life, much less a football game. The College Station trip had nothing to do with me at first, I went because a friend of mine attended school there, we weren't very good that year, first year of Gundy's tenure. We lost 60 something to 20 something. There were 2 OSU girls sitting 1 row in front of me and about 3 or 4 seats to my right. They were there by themselves but wearing orange. We were getting beat by 20 after the first quarter and these 2 girls were taking a verbal assault, they were bigger women and the things being said were completely innappropiate. By halftime they were being spit on by drunken aggies, and left in tears shortly after. I said my peace to those idiots, let them know just what kind of scum they were, and decided to leave being considerably outnumbered. I understand college football, being an Oklahoma State fun we have been the brunt end of jokes for my entire life, I don't have a problem when someone gives me a hard time, especially if they can talk intellectually about it, i'm ok with it. I also understand that about 10 guys in the rows above us are but a tiny fraction of the universities population and alumni base, but that was my experience in College Station, I don't plan on going back.

OKshorthorn

Also, I don't have any hatred towards A&M for leaving the Big 12. I personally think they made a mistake, not just regarding football, but that is yet to be seen either way. I personally hope that Missouri and A&M both do well next year, the SEC bias from the national media gets a little old, so I would enjoy a couple Big 12 teams going in there and doing work.

husker1

Gotta chime in because I love college football...if for no other reason.

A & M...be happy you are gone for the Big 12...things are alot better out there...but the SEC will be mighty tough to compete in...

My take on road trips.  Had a good friend in College Station at the 6-3 debacle a couple years ago...said their fans weren't bad, just different than he was used to...his exact words were that is was an "odd venue, but something to see."  He said that Aggie fans were gracious after the game, some even apologizing for the circumstances that played out that night.  (Jeff, that was a whole different disagreement from a long time ago, right? )

Colorado has been the toughest place for Nebraska fans to travel for a number of years...saw first hand beer thrown, among many other odd  liquids...Manhattan, I had heard, was getting a little tough, the last few years.  Got along great in Ames always...though I did witness a few "exchanges".

I didn't make any trips to away Big 10 venues, but a couple of the road trips sounded less then pleasurable this year...again, depends who you are attending with.

We all need to step back at times and realize that college football is a game for the kids and the entertainment of the fans.  We need to enjoy it for what it is....

Still sucks to lose though!  

aj

Did Doc Osborne  kinda start the jumping ship deal........I kinda wonder about the altzhimer deal with him anymore. I don't think he would have jumped ship with a clear mind.

chambero

aj said:
Wow....thats a statement. You wouldn't let the football kids in your front door?

How many D-1 football players have you ever been around?  I can tell you stories about rich boy Big 12 kickers originating from Texas and their shenanigans that would make your blood curl, let alone some of the stunts routinely engaged in by the actual bad a###s on the team.  We ain't talking about about Boy Scouts for the most part.  There are obviously plenty of exceptions, but I'm not too far off the mark.

All heck broke lose here in Fort Worth with TCU this winter when a recruit told Coach Patterson he wasn't coming because of the drug problem on the team.  Apparently it involved a very high percentage of the team (way over 50%).  TCU launched its own sting operation and caught more than a few.  Needless to say the players that weren't kicked off the team were very glad when spring practice was over.  Something more similar to Viet Nam era boot camp than normal football practice.  And this is at a "goody-good" private Christian school.